Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 05:25 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Not huge on political correctness, but don't accept making fun of disabled either. I'll leave that to the Trump supporters.

Church sign making fun of dyslexia, atheists has many offended - Story | WJBK

A local school administrator said this:
"I was offended by it," she said. "People who have dyslexia, they have a disability. It's very insensitive to put something like this in the public eye."
So?...Dyslexics read backwards...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Might as well call this the eggshell generation. With all the major problems going on, people are throwing a fit over a church sign joke? A bit insensitive, but I seriously doubt the intent was to be disrespectful or mean to disabled people
I find it ironic that disabled people can poke fun of themselves and make money at it as comedians...But, oh, no...Don't ever let a non-disabled person poke fun...

Old 07-23-2016, 06:06 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
I find it disappointing that you don't see a qualitative difference between disparagement directed at others and self-effacement.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I find it disappointing that you don't see a qualitative difference between disparagement directed at others and self-effacement.
How pathetic...You don't understand human nature at all...

Old 07-23-2016, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
But, here's the rub...Non-disabled people shouldn't go to a disabled persons show and laugh at their jokes...

Old 07-23-2016, 06:35 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
How pathetic...You don't understand human nature at all...
Your problem with what I wrote is that I do understand human nature.

Quote:
But, here's the rub...Non-disabled people shouldn't go to a disabled persons show and laugh at their jokes...
Perhaps, but it is unequivocally a substantially less offensive transgression than a "a non-disabled person pok[ing] fun" at disabled people. If you only see things in black and white, that may not make sense to you, but it is the reality nonetheless.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:19 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
I find it ironic that disabled people can poke fun of themselves and make money at it as comedians...But, oh, no...Don't ever let a non-disabled person poke fun...
Yet apparently christians get all butt hurt when nonchristians point out the wackiness that the christian religion believes in.

Apparently you have different standards that you view disabled as, as opposed to chirstians.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:54 AM

4,800 posts, read 2,803,401 times
Default & it's 1, 2, 3 What are fighting for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
I agree that this is stupid and offensive but atheists, who mock and ridicule Christians, shouldn't complain very much. What is good for the goose is also good for the gander.
In other words, if you don't like being mocked, then don't mock either.
No, not @ all. In my experience, atheists mostly want to be left alone, @ least in terms of their religious beliefs & most atheists return the favor, they don't usually go looking for religious fights. However, when they do - it's not just Christians who are challenged, it's all theists (really, there are others). In the US, Christianity merely happens to be the most likely organized, hierarchical religion around - Although Judaism, Islam, the Native People's religions are also possible targets. Given the opportunity, I'm sure the militant atheist will gore any holy cow he or she happens upon.

The church sign is - when it's straight - a hoary old joke anyway. Critiquing it simply on its own understanding of God & religion - I would say that Jesus would never have made fun of the dyslexic - granted that reading & writing weren't all that widespread in His day - but it was still the mark of an educated man (yep, I know. But women weren't typically taught to read & write, as I recall, back then).

Old 07-23-2016, 10:21 AM

Default Not a shining moment in theology, no

Quote:
Think maybe, just maybe all that seminary schooling would have instilled some empathy into the pastor, doncha think?
(laughing) What schooling? This particular outfit is nondenominational - which means they may not have any organizational ties @ all - not for theology, doctrine, nor for seminaries. Some of the little mom 'n' pop churches are more like meet-ups - someone feels a calling, & they convoke their friends & neighbors, read from the Bible, & share their thoughts on God & the World.

So yah, these little churches can have a very folksy ring to them. The Pentecostal church in question - with the sign - is considerably more organized. They have a church building, a nice sign out front, & so on. So they're progressing in terms of worldly goods - which still is no guarantee of the theological preparation nor background of the pastors there - a married couple, I assume - they're named @ the bottom of the sign.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:47 AM

Default Rise to vote, sir

Quote:
Well, we could always get into palindromes. I kind of get a kick out of this one:

"dog food lid"
Nah, that's not a palindrome - it's a
"Semordnilap[edit]

"Semordnilap (palindromes spelled backward) is a name coined for words that spell a different word in reverse. The word was coined by Martin Gardner in his notes to C.C. Bombaugh's book Oddities and Curiosities of Words and Literature.[SIZE=2][3][/SIZE]

"An example of this is the word repaid, which is diaper spelled backward."

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palindrome - More @ the URL.

Thanks for the exercise, though. I had to look up the term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality