Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 10:32 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times

Advertisements

Not huge on political correctness, but don't accept making fun of disabled either. I'll leave that to the Trump supporters.

Church sign making fun of dyslexia, atheists has many offended - Story | WJBK

A local school administrator said this:
"I was offended by it," she said. "People who have dyslexia, they have a disability. It's very insensitive to put something like this in the public eye."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 10:46 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,047,184 times
I agree that this is stupid and offensive but atheists, who mock and ridicule Christians, shouldn't complain very much. What is good for the goose is also good for the gander.
In other words, if you don't like being mocked, then don't mock either.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:50 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
I agree that this is stupid and offensive but atheists, who mock and ridicule Christians, shouldn't complain very much. What is good for the goose is also good for the gander.
It isn't atheists who are offended; rather it is people who find it in poor taste to poke fun at disabilities.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:14 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Might as well call this the eggshell generation. With all the major problems going on, people are throwing a fit over a church sign joke? A bit insensitive, but I seriously doubt the intent was to be disrespectful or mean to disabled people

Old 07-13-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Might as well call this the eggshell generation. With all the major problems going on, people are throwing a fit over a church sign joke? A bit insensitive, but I seriously doubt the intent was to be disrespectful or mean to disabled people
Think maybe, just maybe all that seminary schooling would have instilled some empathy into the pastor, doncha think?

Old 07-13-2016, 11:29 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
I won't comment on the Dyxlexic being offended, but as an atheist, I am not offended. Amused rather.

Like Trans rubbish typing: "That's another fine mess you've gotten us into, Satan". missing the penultimate"a"

Anyway, Cupper, keep slinging the mud; some of it may stick and they've had centuries of doing it to us.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I won't comment on the Dyxlexic being offended, but as an atheist, I am not offended. Amused rather.

Like Trans rubbish typing: "That's another fine mess you've gotten us into, Satan". missing the penultimate"a"

Anyway, Cupper, keep slinging the mud; some of it may stick and they've had centuries of doing it to us.
One has to poke the bear every once in a while.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:52 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
If there really is a heaven it would be populated by dogs. I am not sure that people would be offended by this sign, I think most would smile and perhaps think of dog. And I have seen church signs that are disrespectful and mean spirited, I don't think that those were the in tension so perhaps on this thread I am closer to Jeff than Cupper.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:03 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
That's ridiculous. Fundamentalist atheists aren't the only ones driving by the sign, for starters. Beyond that, it would be juvenile, but your "logic" would still reasonably defensible if the sign was mocking atheists. It's not. It's mocking the disabled. It is morally wrong on all counts, without exception.

What's worse, it shows an inherent lack of worth and dignity afforded to the "other" - a patently antisocial attitude. Churches that peddle such antisocial claptrap do far more harm than they could ever make up for with the good they may do.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
If there really is a heaven it would be populated by dogs. I am not sure that people would be offended by this sign, I think most would smile and perhaps think of dog. And I have seen church signs that are disrespectful and mean spirited, I don't think that those were the in tension so perhaps on this thread I am closer to Jeff than Cupper.
Well, we could always get into palindromes. I kind of get a kick out of this one:

"dog food lid"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality