Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 04:43 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Don`t see these hate group which oppose religions go after the secular charities which are government subsidized , like family planning who lobby their candidate to be elected
If you are speaking of Planned Parenthood, they are not politically active. They have a separate entity, called Planned Parenthood Action Fund, Inc., which is politically active. PPAF is a 501(c)(4), thus donations to it are not tax-deductible.

If you visit their website https://www.plannedparenthoodaction....t-us/terms-use and click on the "Donate" link, you are shown this information:

Quote:
About the Action Fund
The Planned Parenthood Action Fund exists to ensure that elected officials support policies and programs that help women and their families make responsible choices about family planning and reproductive health.

Contributions to the Action Fund are not tax-deductible as a charitable contribution or business expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 05:37 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I'm too tired to post links or segments of laws concerning the governing rules of 501c3s, but this church is one, went to effort to become one, and agreed to follow certain proscriptions. One of these involves using tax exempt property as places from which to endorse a specific candidate or party, whether money is involved or not.

I run a 501c3. Library Director. We cannot, for example, rent our community meeting room, nor allow it to be used for, political groups of any kind.

In short, yes, a preacher can say "well, we all know who to vote for" or promote party affiliation, etc. But not while legally or ethically retaining their 501c3 status. They don't get special treatment because they believe in gods and angels.
I understand being tired. I also understand running a 501(c)3 organization and having to stay out of anything political. I was president of a community band and had to turn down political candidates who wanted us to play for campaign rallies. We did play for an inauguration once, but we viewed that as a civic activity not specifically political.

The link to the IRS regulation is here: https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-pr...-organizations

From the link: "Contributions to political campaign funds or public statements of position (verbal or written) made on behalf of the organization in favor of or in opposition to any candidate for public office clearly violate the prohibition against political campaign activity. Violating this prohibition may result in denial or revocation of tax-exempt status and the imposition of certain excise taxes."

BTW, this regulation page is only 3 paragraphs long. I encourage everyone to go read it. Religion isn't even mentioned. The regulations apply to every organization that is granted tax-exempt status under the IRS regulations. They are all treated the same. Churches, community theater, libraries, food pantries, symphony orchestras, free health clinics, art institutes, community bands, etc.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:49 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No, it precludes the government from making tax law applicable to religions.
It precludes them from making tax laws which single out certain religions, or religions as a whole versus similar secular organizations.

That's not the case here - 501(c)(3) status works the same for all types of groups, religious or not.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:59 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Don`t see these hate group which oppose religions go after the secular charities which are government subsidized , like family planning who lobby their candidate to be elected
Do you have an example of what you are referring to?

Old 07-14-2016, 09:41 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:

The group is question is Freedom from Religion but freedom from all things anyone might not agree with. There are already many groups working to defund Plan Parenthood, I am sure some of them are religious groups that who oppose health issues for women. Are these religious organizations that oppose Planned Parenthood also hate groups or is a hate group only those that oppose what you support and those that oppose what you oppose are loving groups?

As far as I know a group or organization can recommend its members to vote for certain issues but not for a specific party or candidate. I think a church can tell its members to vote for a pro life candidate but cannot tell them to vote for Joe Blow for Senator. I also think it is wrong for a pastor or minister to stand up in front during a service and attack a siting politician. I would have no problem with them attacking a specific policy but not a constant attack on a particular individual or party. A church has no business doing that.

It is also interesting that you consider a person who does not want you to be able to push your religion where it has no legal rights to be is considered a hater. What do you call people of your own religion who try to push their religion upon those who are of other religions or non believers or even more importantly upon their children. Yes I know that those children can always stand out in the hallway or in a snow bank and wear signs saying that they do not belong, that they are haters or that they are not true Americans or that they are outsiders because even though they would not be wearing any real sign that is the message that folks who want their religion in the public sphere really wish to convey. And not wanting to be among those forced to be an outsider in their own community are the haters?

It seems to me that to many on this forum if you are not a Christian and are not willing to accept that Christians should be able to force displays of their religion in any and every aspect of life they you are a hater. Or if you are a Christian and you do not think that another view of Christianity should be forced upon the public sphere you too are a hater. The only peoples who are not haters are those Christians who are placing their religion upon the public or those who sit quietly? Some Christians on this board are very quick and free to use the word hater to those who disagree with them on just about any issue.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:09 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Some Christians on this board are very quick and free to use the word hater to those who disagree with them on just about any issue.
Yes, it is all part of the ever-growing, pitiable, imaginary "Mass Persecution of Christians" line of BS they promote. Which is, of course, nonsense. It's part and parcel of the arrogance, hatred, ignorance, fear and bigotry promoted by some (a small minority, IMO) Christians.

I firmly believe the vast majority of Christians, or Muslims, or adherents of other religions, are perfectly kind, bright, reasonable and peaceful people.

Religions haven't managed to twist every follower into an intolerant, radical wackadoo.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:17 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Yes, it is all part of the ever-growing, pitiable, imaginary "Mass Persecution of Christians" line of BS they promote. Which is, of course, nonsense. It's part and parcel of the arrogance, hatred, ignorance, fear and bigotry promoted by some (a small minority, IMO) Christians.

I firmly believe the vast majority of Christians, or Muslims, or adherents of other religions, are perfectly kind, bright, reasonable and peaceful people.

Religions haven't managed to twist every follower into an intolerant, radical wackadoo.

yes the vast majority of people of any religion and those without any religion are decent tolerant folks. A minority are not. We all get to choice which group we stand with.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:28 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
yes the vast majority of people of any religion and those without any religion are decent tolerant folks. A minority are not. We all get to choice which group we stand with.
Amen. Unfortunately, it always seems to be that minority of more radical, extreme, vitriol-filled, "certain I am right!!!" members of any group that get the most exposure and are just the most vocal. Typically, they make everyone else in the group look bad, or the group itself look bad.

The KKK, for instance, considers themselves a Christian organization. Are they representative of all Christians? Of course not--that's preposterous. But they taint the whole body.

*I said taint*

Old 07-14-2016, 10:38 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Is there anything in the tax laws that state it? A church could be totally political and not voilite your constitution but us there anything in the constitution that prohibits taxing churches?
What part of "Congress shall make no law..." do you not understand? The Constitution should be clear that there is no restriction on religion by the federal government.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:49 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
What part of "Congress shall make no law..." do you not understand? The Constitution should be clear that there is no restriction on religion by the federal government.
How is taxation restricting religion? I hope you are aware that this is an IRS policy, and not a constitutional issue. Why do you think each State has made exemptions? If they did not, churches would have to pay.

Here is a dissertation of the law. Read it and comprehend it, and don't put your own spin on it.

Tax Exemptions of Religious Property :: First Amendment--Religion and Expression :: US Constitution :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality