Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 10:53 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
How is taxation restricting religion?
Would you say that a "Poll Tax" restricts voting rights? We get told that is a racist attempt to limit underprivileged voters...yet you don't think taxation is anti-religion?

Really?
Quote:

I hope you are aware that this is an IRS policy, and not a constitutional issue. Why do you think each State has made exemptions? If they did not, churches would have to pay.
And it's unconstitutional to threaten churches with taxation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 11:03 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
This is not strictly true. A church does not HAVE to apply for 501c3 tax-exempt status, but most do, and most have.

If they have 501c3 status, they are not allowed to use their facilities or their pulpits to endorse or speak out against specific politicians or political parties or by extension support or speak out against other political organizations.

Members or non-members cannot gather in a church building to strategize or campaign politically in any fashion.

If they do, they violate, and are subject to having revoked, their tax-exempt 501c3 status.

It's pretty clear cut. In the case of a church that is a 501c3 non-profit, they don't get special treatment, allowances or exceptions just because they believe on Jesus. They aren't, nor should they be, treated any differently from any secular 501c3.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
This is not strictly true. A church does not HAVE to apply for 501c3 tax-exempt status, but most do, and most have.

If they have 501c3 status, they are not allowed to use their facilities or their pulpits to endorse or speak out against specific politicians or political parties or by extension support or speak out against other political organizations.

Members or non-members cannot gather in a church building to strategize or campaign politically in any fashion.
Clinton routinely appeared in black churches every time he got in trouble. He is called 'the first black president" for a reason. No one seemed to mind that, though.
Quote:
If they do, they violate, and are subject to having revoked, their tax-exempt 501c3 status.

It's pretty clear cut. In the case of a church that is a 501c3 non-profit, they don't get special treatment, allowances or exceptions just because they believe on Jesus. They aren't, nor should they be, treated any differently from any secular 501c3.
Holding a church to a different standard than other non-profit groups is wrong. That's what I have an issue with.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:08 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:
Would you say that a "Poll Tax" restricts voting rights? We get told that is a racist attempt to limit underprivileged voters...yet you don't think taxation is anti-religion?

Really?

Did you read the Jurista link I provided? Your wrong. Learn, and understand. Churches CAN be taxed, but it is public policy not to.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Did you read the Jurista link I provided? Your wrong. Learn, and understand. Churches CAN be taxed, but it is public policy not to.
Because it's good public policy to NOT tax a church.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:22 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
What part of "Congress shall make no law..." do you not understand? The Constitution should be clear that there is no restriction on religion by the federal government.

So you are saying that is it unconstitutional to apply labour laws or building codes to religious organizations? That a church bus is not subject to traffic laws? When income tax came into being it must of been unconstitutional to apply a tax exception for them as that is making a law? Human sacrifices cannot be made illegal if it is part of a religion or sex with minors? Can a church raise an army to attack another religion?

Or is just that they cannot make laws or rules that you disagree with? Is there anything in the constitution that prohibits any level of government from imposing any sort of tax upon a religion? If there is not then every tax exception should be illegal as that is a law or part of a law as well.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:27 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,537 times
Quote:
Holding a church to a different standard than other non-profit groups is wrong. That's what I have an issue with.
You either completely misunderstood, or are completely misrepresenting, what I said. Specifically, I was pointing out that churches ARE held to the exact same standards as other tax-exempt non-profits IF they are organized as a 501c3 entity, which most (but not all) churches are.

Other 501c3s are also not allowed to be political with regards to specific candidates, parties, etc.

Nor are 501c3 churches. I'm saying churches don't get a special pass that allows them to do things other organizations can't do without violating their 501c3 status.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:29 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
Because it's good public policy to NOT tax a church.

I do not oppose the tax free exemptions for churches or other religious organizations. I simply believe that they should obey the rules and regulations set out in the tax exception code, as should all other non profit organizations that are also tax free. The choice is theirs follow the rules or pay the taxes. I also do not believe that the non religious aspects of a religion should be tax free such as rental property collecting rents, stores, farms, mines or whatever. If the church owns a business that business should be taxed like a business including income tax on the profits.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I do not oppose the tax free exemptions for churches or other religious organizations. I simply believe that they should obey the rules and regulations set out in the tax exception code, as should all other non profit organizations that are also tax free. The choice is theirs follow the rules or pay the taxes. I also do not believe that the non religious aspects of a religion should be tax free such as rental property collecting rents, stores, farms, mines or whatever. If the church owns a business that business should be taxed like a business including income tax on the profits.
And those rules and regulations, and the biased way in which they are enforced and held over the heads of churches are unconstitutional.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:35 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Quote:

Really?

Nonsense. Churches have no right to be exempt from taxation. Nonetheless, Congress has provided that charitable organizations (all charitable organizations, religious or not) may be exempt if they follow certain rules.

Can you explain why it is OK to agree to not engage in political activity, but then engage in it anyway? Does that strike you as an honest thing to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality