Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 11:35 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
And those rules and regulations, and the biased way in which they are enforced and held over the heads of churches are unconstitutional.
What the hell are you talking about? What churches where have had taxes imposed that are in conflict with their tax-exempt status? Can you please provide one example of this?

Also, do you understand why and how churches (if 501c3 organizations) are held to the exact same standards as any other secular 501c3?

In the 501c3 scenario, neither any church or any secular organization is granted any more or any fewer rights or considerations. the 501c3 status is the same, and comes with the same stipulations, for both churches and secular entities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 11:36 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Quote:
Holding a church to a different standard than other non-profit groups is wrong. That's what I have an issue with.
In what way are churches held to a different standard?

Old 07-14-2016, 11:39 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:
Because it's good public policy to NOT tax a church.
So you DO understand that it is not the Constitution which determines taxation policy on churches, right? Your previous statement seems to indicate you were under a misunderstanding of that fact.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:40 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Quote:
And those rules and regulations, and the biased way in which they are enforced and held over the heads of churches are unconstitutional.
Can you describe what you consider to be "the biased way in which they are enforced and held over the heads of churches"?

Old 07-14-2016, 11:47 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
You either completely misunderstood, or are completely misrepresenting, what I said. Specifically, I was pointing out that churches ARE held to the exact same standards as other tax-exempt non-profits IF they are organized as a 501c3 entity, which most (but not all) churches are.

Other 501c3s are also not allowed to be political with regards to specific candidates, parties, etc.

Nor are 501c3 churches. I'm saying churches don't get a special pass that allows them to do things other organizations can't do without violating their 501c3 status.
Just to be clear, churches are not required to obtain 501c3 status, and still are exempt from taxation. They get that right automatically, however, there are just too many advantages for them to be 501c3 registered. Most of them have to do with State and Municipal tax exemptions which are only recognized if they are 501c3 registered.

IRS on churches and 501c3:

https://www.irs.gov/uac/charities-churches-and-politics

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1828.pdf

Old 07-14-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Just to be clear, churches are not required to obtain 501c3 status, and still are exempt from taxation...
Correct. And I was trying to convey that--that not all churches are 501c3 entities, nor was a church required to become one.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:01 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Can you describe what you consider to be "the biased way in which they are enforced and held over the heads of churches"?
Do you think no other non-profit ever gets involved in politics?

Old 07-14-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Do you think no other non-profit ever gets involved in politics?
Are you even capable of answering a simple, direct, honest question?

To respond to yours, above--I am sure this happens. And if and when it does, whether it is a secular organization or a church organized as a 501c3, they should have their tax-exempt status revoked, immediately and--I'd say be audited by the IRS, but the IRS already wastes so much damn money...

Old 07-14-2016, 12:14 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Are you even capable of answering a simple, direct, honest question?
I thought I did. There are all sorts of non-profit groups that get ignored by the IRS.

The FFRF itself is a non-profit, yet it exists to be a political entity.
Quote:
To respond to yours, above--I am sure this happens. And if and when it does, whether it is a secular organization or a church organized as a 501c3, they should have their tax-exempt status revoked, immediately and--I'd say be audited by the IRS, but the IRS already wastes so much damn money...
I think you're naive.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:23 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,603,725 times
Quote:

The FFRF itself is a non-profit, yet it exists to be a political entity.
Source or stop sinning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality