Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 06:38 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,722,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I am too old and tired to care, but if a 1st amendment challenge to tax law on religion is ever brought, it would probably be sustained. No law respecting religion is pretty specific.
As I mentioned before, the establishment clause is there to prevent religion from being specifically targeted or alternatively, given special privileges. There's no constitutional issue with making religious groups follow the exact same rules as similar secular organizations.

That's why they're not allowed to perform human sacrifices, after all - your interpretations would prevent the government from enforcing laws against murder if someone says they really believe their god said it was OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 10:27 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,223,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Some people like to actually understand a topic before discussing it. I guess not everyone has that same limitation.
I know. This thread is full of people that are posting nonsense.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:34 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,344,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I know. This thread is full of people that are posting nonsense.
Such as? Can you post some of this "nonsense?"

I would sincerely like to see it.

Again, since "this thread is full" of that, it should be easy for you to present some of this nonsense people have posted so commonly and readily on this thread.

But you won't. Because you can't. Just as on the "door knocking" thread, you make ridiculous claims, avoid backing them up, claim you are right just because...because you said so, I guess (maybe having Jesus on your side helps with that, though I would think Jesus might have a problem with your continual lying and misrepresenting of facts) and then go on to rant about something else, usually about how poor Christians are all mistreated and persecuted or some other such total nonsense and BS which again, you will never be able to support with anything real, because you apparently live in your own reality and feel entitled to say "anything that doesn't jibe with what I believe, proof or no, is just plain wrong."

And that's all you've got, and that's the sum substance of each of your posts on this forum.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:54 PM

63,939 posts, read 40,210,295 times
Quote:
I am too old and tired to care, but if a 1st amendment challenge to tax law on religion is ever brought, it would probably be sustained. No law respecting religion is pretty specific. I could be wrong and as I said I don't particularly care. I am no fan of religions, just God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
"No law respecting religion" should work the other way regarding taxation. No exemption from taxation on religious grounds.
Taxation is not the default. It is imposed by law.
Quote:
As I mentioned before, the establishment clause is there to prevent religion from being specifically targeted or alternatively, given special privileges. There's no constitutional issue with making religious groups follow the exact same rules as similar secular organizations.
That's why they're not allowed to perform human sacrifices, after all - your interpretations would prevent the government from enforcing laws against murder if someone says they really believe their god said it was OK.
I agree, KC, BUT this is about political speech. Religious freedom of expression and freedom of political speech are specifically enumerated. Using a backdoor law about taxation to impede those freedoms is a violation.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:33 PM

16,728 posts, read 15,727,874 times
Quote:
I agree, KC, BUT this is about political speech. Religious freedom of expression and freedom of political speech are specifically enumerated. Using a backdoor law about taxation to impede those freedoms is a violation.
The IRS rules apply to every 501(c)3 organization. That tax designation is the one that makes donations to the organization tax deductible. If the organization wants to remove itself from 501(c)3 status, they can do that, and probably remain a non-profit organization under their state rules. making them exempt from most taxes. The difference is that contributions to the organization MAY not be deductible on the individual donors' tax returns.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:21 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,654,044 times
Quote:
For individual people, yes; for charitable non-profits organizations, no.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:46 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,542,383 times
Quote:
No one's denying churches their right to political speech; they just have to make a choice-- free speech or exemption from taxes. Life is full of choices. No one has a right to be exempt from paying taxes unless Congress creates the exemption. No backdoor law at all. But maybe President Trump will make Congress amend 26 USC 501(c)(3).

I predict such an amendment would be widely unpopular, and not just among us atheists, pagans, satanists, and other fellow travelers.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:47 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,542,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why do you think I care what the unconstitutional rules of the IRS are?
Many have tried to prove your point; all have failed. But go for it, and keep us posted.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:08 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,745,859 times
Quote:

That's actually the second half, referred to as the Free Exercise Clause, which ironically, is way more detailed than the first half.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/establishment_clause

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/free_exercise_clause

However, since activists of all stripes annoy me, and activist/litigious groups really annoy me from continuously tying courts up with tripe, one should start a Freedom From Freedom from those who Just Can't Stop Talking Religion Till It's Blue in the Face.

Acronym won't be as catchy, however.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:49 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,789,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
No one's denying churches their right to political speech; they just have to make a choice-- free speech or exemption from taxes. Life is full of choices. No one has a right to be exempt from paying taxes unless Congress creates the exemption. No backdoor law at all. But maybe President Trump will make Congress amend 26 USC 501(c)(3).

I predict such an amendment would be widely unpopular, and not just among us atheists, pagans, satanists, and other fellow travelers.
It is sorta satisfying to see which side Mystic will come down on when the barriers go up. I sorta think that Troutdude and wardenDresden will be loading and ramming for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality