Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 10:04 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Where is this Arabia you talk about?
Actually, they were originally the Philistines who started to invade Israel about 3000 years ago. They probably descended from a people near Greece. They were known as the "Sea People" and they had a fish god, Dagon.

Israel was already in Israel when the Philistines came along. They don't have a right to that land.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Correction. We've been bombing muslims and muslim countries wholesale for many years now.
You didn't answer the question. You say we've been bombing Muslims. Do you believe ISIS to be Muslim?
Quote:

Obama 'inherited' this situation from his predecessors and has continued it. Do you think his predecessors are Christians?
I honestly have no idea if George W Bush is a Christian. I've never met the guy. But from casual observation, I see him say many more positive things about Christ than Islam. That would lead one to conclude that he is.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:07 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It is my personal opinion (as a Christian) that he has not shown that.
It is Obama's personal opinion, as a Christian, that Obama is a Christian, and he has shown that, by identifying God in a Christian way with a Christian name, attending Christian church, and stating he is a Christian.

In addition, he has firmly shown NON-Muslim actions, repeatedly, including drinking, smoking, and attending Christian church as a worshiper.

Quote:
Based on the things he's said, he's expressed a great deal of admiration for Islam
Based on things he's said, he's also expressed a great deal of admiration for Christianity.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
It is Obama's personal opinion, as a Christian, that Obama is a Christian, and he has shown that, by identifying God in a Christian way with a Christian name, attending Christian church, and stating he is a Christian.
Ok.
Quote:

In addition, he has firmly shown NON-Muslim actions, repeatedly, including drinking, smoking, and attending Christian church as a worshiper.
So we are now able to judge a religious person by their actions? So the no true scotsman fallacy isn't a fallacy?

Old 07-20-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:

So we are now able to judge a religious person by their actions? So the no true scotsman fallacy isn't a fallacy?
Huh? You just said you CAN judge a religious person by his actions. In fact your entire argument that Obama "seems" to not be Christian is entirely based on (your interpretation of) his actions. Repeatedly you have made this assertion.

Is it is or is it ain't?

Old 07-20-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Huh? You just said you CAN judge a religious person by his actions.

Is it is or is it ain't?
I believe that we can make observations regarding a person's behavior. That's why when we see a "Christian" pastor do a bad thing we can say he wasn't a Christian. By the same token, you are now telling me that Obama is a Christian. If we're going to believe that, I just want to establish that behavior DOES indicate a person's religion.

Do you agree?

Old 07-20-2016, 10:15 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,475,164 times
Quote:
You didn't answer the question. You say we've been bombing Muslims. Do you believe ISIS to be Muslim?
Which is more important to you - what they claim; or what you believe about them? For instance, you mentioned the KKK earlier. Does it matter to you that the KKK itself claims to be Christian?

Quote:
I honestly have no idea if George W Bush is a Christian. I've never met the guy. But from casual observation, I see him say many more positive things about Christ than Islam. That would lead one to conclude that he is.
Bush claims to be Christian. OTOH he too bombed the hell out of Muslims - does that make him Christian to you? Bush has said many positive things about Islam. He's literally walked hand-in-hand with muslims. Does that make him Muslim to you?

Old 07-20-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I believe that we can make observations regarding a person's behavior. That's why when we see a "Christian" pastor do a bad thing we can say he wasn't a Christian. By the same token, you are now telling me that Obama is a Christian. If we're going to believe that, I just want to establish that behavior DOES indicate a person's religion.

Do you agree?
IOW, that you can judge a person's religion by his actions.

You are stating this, and I am answering utilizing Obama's obviously Christian actions, as well as his obviously very non-Muslim actions.

You argue that his actions "do not seem Christian." Actually, they do (right down to loving his "neighbors" the Muslims, as Jesus instructed). I argue that his actions DO seem Christian. You argue that he seems to identify more with Islam. I argue that he seems to identify MORE with Christianity.

I am using your parameters here. Using your parameters, Obama is far more likely a Christian than a Muslim. Simply being empathetic toward Muslims, or anyone non-Christian, is indeed a MORE Christian than non-Christian attribute if you're going by Jesus' actual reported words to love one's neighbors as oneself, and Jesus' actions of sitting and breaking bread with people who not only weren't correct adherents to his own religion, a number of them certainly weren't his religion at all.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:19 AM

7,997 posts, read 12,277,938 times
Greetings, folks!

--An awful lot of posts have needed to be deleted lately....From here on in, please post ON TOPIC or don't post at all, as I can assure you that infractions will ensue if members continue to derail thread. June is not particularly fond of infracting members, and especially isn't fond of closing threads, but should either or both continue, that's where we're leading. So consider this to be a "final warning."

It's ultimately up to you guys if infractions are issued, or a thread gets closed. So please don't "shoot the messenger." --Rather, refer to the TOS if necessary, or (almost certainly more the point!) restrain yourselves!!! Ya know?

Thanks, and gentle care,
~June

Old 07-20-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
IOW, that you can judge a person's religion by his actions.
You don't? You keep saying Obama is a Christian.
Quote:
You are stating this, and I am answering utilizing Obama's obviously Christian actions, as well as his obviously very non-Muslim actions.
good for you. The only question is that we see his actions a bit differently.
Quote:
You argue that his actions "do not seem Christian." Actually, they do (right down to loving his "neighbors" the Muslims, as Jesus instructed). I argue that his actions DO seem Christian. You argue that he seems to identify more with Islam. I argue that he seems to identify MORE with Christianity.
So you tend to emphasize some over others. OK.
Quote:
I am using your parameters here. Using your parameters, Obama is far more likely a Christian than a Muslim.
Good for you.

Now are you willing to agree with me that when we see cupper post one of his "Christian pastor does......" threads that the guy in question probably isn't a Christian?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality