Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 10:49 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times

Advertisements

PENSACOLA, Fla. — Last week, religious rights activist David Suhor delivered an invocation before the Pensacola city council. It wasn’t the first time that he had successfully lobbied for the right to give an opening prayer before a local governmental body. However, doing so as a member of The Satanic Temple resulted in much more attention than when Suhor offered a specifically Pagan prayer before the Escambia County commission in 2014. While only one commissioner left the room during the 2014 prayer, his recent appearance before the city council was greeted by dozens of Christians seeking to drown him out.
When Suhor rose to deliver the invocation, dressed in a black robe with a hood partially obscuring his face, many of the attendees rose along with him. It was not their intention, however, to join their voices in with his Satanic prayer. They stood to recite the Lord’s Prayer, while some of their number brandished crosses and apparently sought to cast out demons. After the protesters began their third recitation of the Christian prayer, council president Charles Bare was forced to order the room cleared.

prayer during the delivery of the invocation at the previous meeting, which had been called to specifically discuss whether prayers should be replaced with moments of silence. The first twelve minutes of the official video show the entire series of events as they unfolded, including how the fervor spilled over into the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance.

“My approach in the beginning was to get invocations dropped” from the meetings, Suhor told The Wild Hunt, but those efforts led to no changes. Now, he said, “I am demanding radical inclusion.”
That shift was in the wake of the Supreme Court decision in Town of Greece v Galloway, which rather than eliminating prayers from public meetings, required that members of all religions be given the opportunity. In addition to the prayer he offered before the county commissioners meeting, he has also tried to get on the agenda of the Escambia County School Board and the Emerald Coast Utilities Authority, but was unsuccessful.

Satanic Invocation Summons Protests | The Wild Hunt

It would be interesting to see what would happen other people stood up & sited a Satanic prayer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 10:54 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
What a bunch of knobs.

Christian fundies would be funny if they didn't vote or breed. That's when funny turns frightening.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:56 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Why not? Of course, this now opens any public Christian prayer to being subjected to Satanists standing up to drown out the Lord's Prayer with one of their own.

I mean, so be it. (shrug)

Old 07-20-2016, 11:10 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,385,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
PENSACOLA, Fla. — Last week, religious rights activist David Suhor delivered an invocation before the Pensacola city council. It wasn’t the first time that he had successfully lobbied for the right to give an opening prayer before a local governmental body. However, doing so as a member of The Satanic Temple resulted in much more attention than when Suhor offered a specifically Pagan prayer before the Escambia County commission in 2014. While only one commissioner left the room during the 2014 prayer, his recent appearance before the city council was greeted by dozens of Christians seeking to drown him out.
When Suhor rose to deliver the invocation, dressed in a black robe with a hood partially obscuring his face, many of the attendees rose along with him. It was not their intention, however, to join their voices in with his Satanic prayer. They stood to recite the Lord’s Prayer, while some of their number brandished crosses and apparently sought to cast out demons. After the protesters began their third recitation of the Christian prayer, council president Charles Bare was forced to order the room cleared.

prayer during the delivery of the invocation at the previous meeting, which had been called to specifically discuss whether prayers should be replaced with moments of silence. The first twelve minutes of the official video show the entire series of events as they unfolded, including how the fervor spilled over into the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance.

“My approach in the beginning was to get invocations dropped” from the meetings, Suhor told The Wild Hunt, but those efforts led to no changes. Now, he said, “I am demanding radical inclusion.”
That shift was in the wake of the Supreme Court decision in Town of Greece v Galloway, which rather than eliminating prayers from public meetings, required that members of all religions be given the opportunity. In addition to the prayer he offered before the county commissioners meeting, he has also tried to get on the agenda of the Escambia County School Board and the Emerald Coast Utilities Authority, but was unsuccessful.

It would be interesting to see what would happen other people stood up & sited a Satanic prayer.
Just more proof that Christians are not interested in freedom of religion. They are only interested in freedom for THEIR religion. They want to be able to run roughshod over all other religions (or irreligious), and keep them quiet. They are all for religion in the public sphere, as long as it is ONLY Christianity. They are sad and hypocritical people.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:26 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Just more proof that Christians are not interested in freedom of religion. They are only interested in freedom for THEIR religion. They want to be able to run roughshod over all other religions (or irreligious), and keep them quiet. They are all for religion in the public sphere, as long as it is ONLY Christianity. They are sad and hypocritical people.

Double standards all the way it would seem.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:30 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,901 times
Watched the video. Found the tangible fear in the room from the theocrat contingent amusing. Almost like they think they are going to be immediately cursed by being in the same room with the guy. Actually, some of them probably do think that.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Double standards all the way it would seem.
Absolutely. The sad thing is, they don't even understand what the problem is. They don't understand why everyone won't just shut up and let them do whatever they please. It is quite ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Watched the video. Found the tangible fear in the room from the theocrat contingent amusing. Almost like they think they are going to be immediately cursed by being in the same room with the guy. Actually, some of them probably do think that.
Yea, it is very amusing. Especially, if you live down here as I do, as a non believer, and hear the people talk about it. You would think the guy just tried to turn the courtroom into a Satanic Temple complete with human sacrifices or some such nonsense. It is quite amusing indeed.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:53 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Absolutely. The sad thing is, they don't even understand what the problem is. They don't understand why everyone won't just shut up and let them do whatever they please. It is quite ridiculous.

Yea, it is very amusing. Especially, if you live down here as I do, as a non believer, and hear the people talk about it. You would think the guy just tried to turn the courtroom into a Satanic Temple complete with human sacrifices or some such nonsense. It is quite amusing indeed.
I'm in South Carolina so i am reasonably familiar with the mindset.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:55 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:

Good for them. If the community doesn't want that kind of stuff they shouldn't be forced to have it.

It's a local city council. The local populace can decide for themselves what they want.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
I'm in South Carolina so i am reasonably familiar with the mindset.
Yea, I imagine you are! The south is filled to the brim with people like this, which makes me quite sad. After all, I was born, raised, and have lived my entire life down here (Between AL, TN, and NC). However, the stupidity gets to you after awhile, which is why I am actively trying to leave the southeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality