Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 12:31 PM

932 posts, read 1,272,777 times

Advertisements

I love my best friend, and in many ways, I try to emulate her. She is Christian (as am I) however, she regularly attends church (which when I go, I attend hers) and is very active in it. Her husband was the youth pastor for a couple of years, until he decided to go back to seminary to further his education (couldnt juggle 3 kids, wife, FT job school and pastorship! lol)

I'm not upset with her, because what she did, was done with love in her heart- which I know and understand-although I still don't agree.

Late Saturday night she sent an email. A rather lengthy one, which is unusual for her. The letter was talking about how I should find a church family and participate. Not necessarily her church if I didn't choose- but I should find a good church.

Now, if I could find a church which handled their finances the way I believe Jesus would handle them, I would have no problem with that. Management of tithes is my biggest opposition to 'churches'.

I really feel as though I am being judged and not considered a true Christian (by someone I really do admire) because I CHOOSE not to go to church, because as I see it, their finances are not handled biblically. While it certainly does not shake my faith, or my friendship, it really does HURT.

I think there was a time (pre-internet) when churches and bible study groups were the only way to study your faith, and be held accountable for your knowledge. But with the internet and a gazillion chat rooms and message boards discussing Christianity, I feel there are ample ways to discuss, grow and learn.

Am I right? or being overly sensitive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 12:45 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,019 times
Last time I checked, a Christian is someone who follows the Bible and Jesus. Church has nothing to do with that. I swear, the religious make up new rules every day. I can't keep up with what you guys are doing, lol.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:46 PM

738 posts, read 1,883,831 times
I have heard many Christians say that if you do not belong to a church then in no way you are a Christian.

I do not agree with that statement. It is really hard to find a church which is filled with the Holy Spirit. I have yet to find one. I am not saying there are not good churches, but where i live, we are limited as to what we have to choose from. One of the last churches I went to was a really small church, less than 50 members. The pastor announced one Sunday morning that he was quitting his day job to focus on being a pastor full time. He asked the members for "extra" donations/contributions to help him and his family on a personal level. I never went back. (( Remember, the church was small- 50 including children)).

I have a really close relationship with my Heavenly Father and with my Savior, Jesus. I study the bible. Everyday, I learn something new and I grow in my knowledge of the truth.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:53 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
mommiewrites...

you know that I am an atheist, so you may or may not give any weight to what I say. However, let me tell you this -- you need to follow your own convictions. To do any less is to be untrue to yourself.

Your friend probably has your best intentions at heart. If it were me, I would thank her graciously and tell her that you are secure in your relationship with your god. But if she brings up the subject again, gently tell her that you value her friendship but don't want your differences of opinion to come between you.

For what it's worth, I don't think you're being overly sensitive, and if she's that good of a friend she'll understand whatever your response happens to be.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
mommiewrites...

you know that I am an atheist, so you may or may not give any weight to what I say. However, let me tell you this -- you need to follow your own convictions. To do any less is to be untrue to yourself.

Your friend probably has your best intentions at heart. If it were me, I would thank her graciously and tell her that you are secure in your relationship with your god. But if she brings up the subject again, gently tell her that you value her friendship but don't want your differences of opinion to come between you.

For what it's worth, I don't think you're being overly sensitive, and if she's that good of a friend she'll understand whatever your response happens to be.
I replied to her (this morning- had to let some time pass before I said anything) that I love her too, and that I had learned much from her and thanked her for her concern...but that as far as the role of a 'church' our opinions varied greatly, and that I found my methods of learning and studying were effective for me...

I spoke to her this morning, although we didn't mention 'the email'....lol

Old 02-25-2008, 01:14 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
I replied to her (this morning- had to let some time pass before I said anything) that I love her too, and that I had learned much from her and thanked her for her concern...but that as far as the role of a 'church' our opinions varied greatly, and that I found my methods of learning and studying were effective for me...

I spoke to her this morning, although we didn't mention 'the email'....lol
Good deal. If she's a true friend, she'll understand.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:58 PM

98 posts, read 273,076 times
Quote:
I love my best friend, and in many ways, I try to emulate her. She is Christian (as am I) however, she regularly attends church (which when I go, I attend hers) and is very active in it. Her husband was the youth pastor for a couple of years, until he decided to go back to seminary to further his education (couldnt juggle 3 kids, wife, FT job school and pastorship! lol)

I'm not upset with her, because what she did, was done with love in her heart- which I know and understand-although I still don't agree.

Late Saturday night she sent an email. A rather lengthy one, which is unusual for her. The letter was talking about how I should find a church family and participate. Not necessarily her church if I didn't choose- but I should find a good church.

Now, if I could find a church which handled their finances the way I believe Jesus would handle them, I would have no problem with that. Management of tithes is my biggest opposition to 'churches'.

I really feel as though I am being judged and not considered a true Christian (by someone I really do admire) because I CHOOSE not to go to church, because as I see it, their finances are not handled biblically. While it certainly does not shake my faith, or my friendship, it really does HURT.

I think there was a time (pre-internet) when churches and bible study groups were the only way to study your faith, and be held accountable for your knowledge. But with the internet and a gazillion chat rooms and message boards discussing Christianity, I feel there are ample ways to discuss, grow and learn.

Am I right? or being overly sensitive?
The first question that came to my mind was why she would say this in an e-mail, and not in person. It sounds like something she has wanted to say for a while, and not something she thought of on a spur of the moment.

Having said that I don't think you are being over sensitive. I also believe the samething as has been said by others. I think that the "CHURCH" is the people not the "BUILDING". I also agree that there are other ways to learn ie Internet. If you live each day believing in Christ, and you show love to others ie "The Golden Rule" you are a far better "Christian" than a lot of regular churchgoers.

Be at peace YOUR SOUL IS SAFE!

Old 02-25-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdblauvelt View Post
The first question that came to my mind was why she would say this in an e-mail, and not in person. It sounds like something she has wanted to say for a while, and not something she thought of on a spur of the moment.....

Be at peace YOUR SOUL IS SAFE!

It was very well thought out and very long- so it must have been weighing on her for quite some time. It would have been a moving letter if I wasn't already a believer....lol

Glad to know my soul is still safe. lmao

Old 02-25-2008, 05:51 PM

336 posts, read 844,413 times
There was a thread here not long ago, "Are You A Christian If You Dont Belong To A Church." You will find many posters on these threads that do not have a home church. As for myself, I don't miss the melting pot doctrines I've found in different churchs-and believe me I've been to many different churchs, with every kind of denomination invented! The churchs will be judged at the end of our time.Certainly, most of them
have preached false doctrines and have led many to
confusion,aloneness,maybe even darkness.Ofcourse,there are reputable churchs ,but even they at times have something that will take your eyes off of Him.
What I miss about having a church family is the love you receive when you are part of the body of Christ.Also,there is a lot to be said about accountability.Even studying alone can lead to luke warmness when you haven't anyone to discuss holy/biblical issues with.
The internet is a wonderful source of re-enforcing Christian knowledge, but it isn't being physically present with other believers.Also,the internet can be quite deceptive as to whom is giving the message and the motivation within it...

Old 02-25-2008, 07:03 PM

98 posts, read 273,076 times
Quote:
It was very well thought out and very long- so it must have been weighing on her for quite some time. It would have been a moving letter if I wasn't already a believer....lol

Glad to know my soul is still safe. lmao
I'm sure that if the saying "you can't pick your family, but you can pick your friends" is right and you chose well you two will still be great friends for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality