Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:04 PM

245 posts, read 625,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Sure, whatever. That's pure bigotry. The idea that people can not be moral without Christianity is stupid and a delusion. Crime in earlier times was way worse than the crime is now. Not to mention, you forgot a little something. Studies have shown that the countries with the lowest crime rates (Sweden, Finland, Norway, Japan, etc) are the most nonreligious countries as well. More atheists in those nations than anywhere. So what again makes your Baghdad statement valid? Nothing. That is a biased statement. Also untrue for that matter. I'm a moral person and I don't believe in a deity. I don't need fear of punishment after death to make me be a good person. I just am.
This reminds me of an experiment readers digest did years ago. what they did was put 50 dollars into wallets with plenty of ID and went around the world placing them where people could find them. They where surprised by the results, in the middle east none where returned, people snatched up the wallets and RAN. in mexico like 80 % where not returned and they saw many people cross themselves when they found them, basicaly the same for italia. In the us something like half the money came back but most of the wallets where returned. In denmark not only was almost every wallet returned often people didn't even open them, just chucked them in the nearest mailbox, simalar results for sweden and holland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 09:05 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
japan is a non religious country?
Yes, the established religion of the nation is Shinto Buddhism (which is the Japanese's sect of Buddhism), but most of the people are atheists. Buddhism isn't as big in Asian countries as people think. China and Japan both clearly have way more nonreligious than Buddhists. The exception to this would be Thailand, where about 95% of the population is Buddhist.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:08 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
This reminds me of an experiment readers digest did years ago. what they did was put 50 dollars into wallets with plenty of ID and went around the world placing them where people could find them. They where surprised by the results, in the middle east none where returned, people snatched up the wallets and RAN. in mexico like 80 % where not returned and they saw many people cross themselves when they found them, basicaly the same for italia. In the us something like half the money came back but most of the wallets where returned. In denmark not only was almost every wallet returned often people didn't even open them, just chucked them in the nearest mailbox, simalar results for sweden and holland
I never heard about that study, but it also backs up what I stated earlier. I'm an atheist and am one of the nicest and most positive people you'll ever meet.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I never heard about that study, but it also backs up what I stated earlier. I'm an atheist and am one of the nicest and most positive people you'll ever meet.
diggit, me too. (although i'm wouldn't call myself an athiest, more of a "how could I know?" I did have some real problems with the study though, like, in what neighberhoods did they place those wallets? I think that would make a real diference in how many where returned

Old 02-28-2008, 02:10 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
That would be defined as an agnostic, Steffan (hence the spelling)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
japan is a non religious country?
Japan is a non-religious country. That's true.
There’s some Shinto Buddhism, but for the most part there is no religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1210 View Post
There would differently be lot more human sacrifices.
Please explain to me where you would come up with this information. Where is there human sacrifice? In the Bible? Oh yes.

You might want to look at world religions and what they really are, not what you think they are. In the Christian realm, you talk about consuming the body and blood of jesus. Interesting.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
That would be defined as an agnostic, Steffan (hence the spelling)

Japan is a non-religious country. That's true.
There’s some Shinto Buddhism, but for the most part there is no religion.

Please explain to me where you would come up with this information. Where is there human sacrifice? In the Bible? Oh yes.

You might want to look at world religions and what they really are, not what you think they are. In the Christian realm, you talk about consuming the body and blood of jesus. Interesting.
yeah girl, I know, but I've heard to many people say that an agnostic believed in god but not christianity. and abraham was told to sacrifice his kid, it was a bad joke, but he was told to none the less

Old 02-29-2008, 01:54 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
if everyone had been allowed to worship as the will do you think the world would have turned out diferently?
meh, not much different, some other religion would have came along. humanity is addicted to religion...

Old 02-29-2008, 06:10 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
If Christianity hadn't come along, Man would have thought up another religion. It seems a fairly universal trait for most human beings to comfort themselves with creating a God/Gods and the human mind in terms of dreaming up deities and myths is seemingly endless in its ingenuity in that respect.

We would still no doubt have had yet another major religion to fill the void.

Christianity has been responsible for many atrocities in human history but on the other hand so have most religions so I personally don't think it would have made much difference in terms of wars, human suffering etc..

Human nature is to try and find answers to the greatest philosophical questions, and attempting to explain our vast universe and its many mysteries. Religion fitted the bill before the explosion of scientific discoveries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality