Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 09:41 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,882,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trejas View Post
In he Kingdom of Light (God's Kingdom)-- no tattoo's.
Really?
On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS. Rev 19:16
Who is that describing?

Satan? Someone from the Kingdom of Darkness?

I didn't know we referred to Satan as King of Kings and Lord of Lords but since the Kingdom of God doesn't have marks on their skin, it can't be Jesus can it?

Sad, sad, sad.....

Who the Son sets free is free indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 10:03 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
mark of the beast. considering the behavior of tatoo wearers, if not the beasts boy
a very good imitation. satan has a sense of humor too. not only does he pay lousy
wages he also makes involuntary clowns of his workers, when you hit 375 lbs get a tattoo --you will look sexy????
ha ha ha.
"...the behavior of tatoo wearers"? What nonsensical stereotypes/generalizations.

My lovely daughter has three tattoos, a Celtic one on the small of her back, a small lotus flower on the back of her neck, and another Celtic one on her rib cage. She is happily married to a very nice young man in the Air Force, (who also has tattoos), and they are raising two great, well-disciplined, happy little boys. She's not a drunk, a drug user, a hooker. She doesn't cheat on her taxes, steal from other people, hasn't murdered anyone. She's very sensible, and quite responsible, a wonderful daughter, and a very loving, caring person.

My handsome son has a Celtic tattoo on his left arm. He also is not a drunk, or a drug user. He doesn't use hookers. He is also very sensible, and is responsible. He has a full-time job, and pays his bills. He doesn't cheat on his taxes, or steal from others. And, although there are people in his job that he probably would like to knock up alongside their head, he hasn't killed anyone either. He dates a very nice girl, and has a very normal life. He is a great son, and is very loving and caring, also.

My best friend, who has two tattoos, is one of the most practical, responsible people I've ever known. She's a nice person, she works hard, she's on the sheriff's possee, has started her own business, and is a very staunch Christian. Her husband works for Boeing, (he retired from the Air Force a few years ago, after a full career).

I've often wondered, just exactly what is it that offends some folks so greatly, about tattoos on someone else, as to make such silly statements as I've been reading in this thread? What a bunch of judgemental nonsense over ink on someone's skin. Remember, you don't have to have a tattoo, but keep your judgemental attitudes to yourselves! Frankly, I'm with Deb in VA. I'm also thinking about getting a tattoo, probably for my 50th birthday, also, (I'm 47, now). It will probably be something to honor my Celtic heritage. If other folks don't like it, tough. That's their problem. The decision to have a tattoo is between me and God, just as your decision not to have one is between you and God. Don't presume to know my relationship with my Creator.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:08 AM

599 posts, read 1,260,393 times
Quote:
I'm also thinking about getting a tattoo, probably for my 50th birthday, also, (I'm 47, now).
Hey, me too! Ok, if we both decide to get tattoos, we have to post pics of them here after we have them done...deal??

Old 08-26-2008, 10:17 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
Hey, me too! Ok, if we both decide to get tattoos, we have to post pics of them here after we have them done...deal??
Deal! That is, if I can finally figure out how to do that sort of thing. My computer skills are sadly lacking. I still have to ask my son or daughter how to do things. It's like asking the five year-old to program the VCR, back in the day. I didn't know how to make folders in my Favorites list, until my daughter showed me how. I have managed to figure out how to work my cell phones on my own, so perhaps there's hope for me yet!

Old 08-26-2008, 11:14 AM

30,304 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostball View Post
Your argument is empty and completely rediculous Alpha.
If we do not have to obey Christ and live a holy life then I guess by your standard we can live and do as we please.
Are you married? Do you happen to have a 10 or 12 year old daughter I could come over tonight and molest? It's ok you know, because we don't have to live a holy life and it's already been forgiven.
You need to go back and re-read your Bible my friend.
Actually, I think it was your argument that was ridiculous... Alpha made perfect sense, and had an excellent comeback to your comments. Do you have a response re. whether you follow ALL laws of Leviticus? I'm guessing not, which is why you completely avoided the points. Anyway, this is all moot to me, since I am not a Christian, and my religion (Reform Judaism) has no problem with it.

Just like with being gay, it's fine if you don't want to participate, but why condemn others for making a different choice? As the old saying goes - "The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is that the tattooed don't care if you have one."

P.S. I found your analogy about 10/12 year-olds to be both confusing and offensive to Alpha. Are you saying that tattooed people are going to commit horrible crimes, simply because we don't follow your version of the Bible? Uh huh.........

Old 08-26-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
I am also curious how it would look in a few years. Tattoos fade and the lines blurr over time. Add wrinkling folds of skin and the idea of a tattoo does not seam cool any longer.
Tattoos today use better equipment and ink, and therefore don't fade much over time... as long as you don't get something with tiny intricate lines, they usually look the same for years and years. As for the wrinkles and folds of skin, I'll probably be happy my tattoos are covering that mess - not to mention I already have my share of wrinkles and folds, so it's not going to be much of a shocker. Anyway, here is a picture of my very first tattoo, which is almost 16 years old - looks just fine, and I haven't had it touched up at all!!

Quote:
Remember that if you get one it is easier to be identified if you commit a crime because people remember pictures better than faces. So don't get the tattoo if you plan to do a crime. Better yet don't do the crime.
Well, duh..... If I'm committing major crimes, I think the tattoos are the least of my problems - and I'd deserve to get caught anyway, LOL. The good side of that is my body could be easily identified, if I were the victim of a crime or accident. Hopefully none of these will be an issue, so your points are valid yet unnecessary.

You did make good points, however, about choosing your tattoos wisely... they are a life-long commitment, and should be something that has real meaning. I don't have any band names or ex-boyfriends tattooed on me, just things that are timeless (my zodiac sign, Star of David, music staff since I'm a musician, rose for my grandma whose name is Rose, etc). Tattoos can be covered, as I am currently doing on my back, and they can be removed as well - both are expensive and painful, however, so it's best to choose carefully from the beginning.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-26-2008 at 12:25 PM..

Old 08-26-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trejas View Post
Oh, I understood your point about Lev. 19.

God is sovereign, meaning he requires no one to exist. As such he his the only one who can make law and the only one who has the power to enforce it. His word is law. But, you must understand God's Law. God's Law is divided into Laws, Statues and Ordinances. The Book of Leviticus is a book of ordinances given to Moses from God to assist God's people in living to the way he designed them to be. They help create a culture for a community. Those of this community must comply to these ordinances or they are not apart of this community.

All the Ordinances in Leviticus are for the Hebrew (Jewish) community of its day. Today, Gentiles (Non-Jews) those that are born of God are graffed into the the Jewish Community by the work of Jesus. But, we are not required to obey the ordinances because we are graffed in and not born a Jew. But, we respect and honor our Father's word. God, Our Fathers' word is no tattoo's, if you love him you will obey him. Because it is your heart desire to do so.
I love how this is always the argument, even though it is greatly flawed... so basically you think you can use Leviticus to condemn others, but if somebody calls you out on that, it's "Oh, I'm not a Jew so I don't have to follow ALL the laws!" This Jew says oy vey to that. Sorry, but you can't have your cake and eat it too - if you want to use these passages against others, you should be forced to follow them as well. As for myself, I obey the obvious ones that I'd follow regardless... no killing, stealing, etc., and I don't eat pork or shellfish. But even Chasidic Jews don't follow all the laws, or I know a few who'd have been stoned to death long ago.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:24 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,502,899 times
Well, in Leviticus God prohibited Tattoos - in the old testament people tattooed themselves to show allegience to foreign gods. Don't think its a good idea to mark the skin with all sorts of rubbish. But maybe a little tattoo is ok - if it isn't anti. Not sure.
I haven't got any tattoos!!!! But don't think its a huge deal to God - he looks at the heart.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:02 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,882,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
Well, in Leviticus God prohibited Tattoos - in the old testament people tattooed themselves to show allegience to foreign gods. Don't think its a good idea to mark the skin with all sorts of rubbish. But maybe a little tattoo is ok - if it isn't anti. Not sure.
I haven't got any tattoos!!!! But don't think its a huge deal to God - he looks at the heart.
It's so easy to pick out the Children of the King!

Great post.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:38 AM

7 posts, read 17,498 times
All I can say is that tattoos are forbidden for Yidden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality