Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 09:12 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,136,945 times

Advertisements

Well, don't we do many, many, things that are necessary in life that don't exactly "glorify God"? I have one tattoo, and it's simply art that I liked. I made sure it was somewhere that wouldn't show when dressed in business attire to keep a professional image. I occassionally paint artwork on canvas and it's really the same thing - it's abstract art that has nothing to do with God or religion - just something visually appealing.

I can see where having 666 tattooed on your forhead or a big Satan on your back would be considered un-Christian, but your run-of-the-mill artwork tattoos - I see no problem with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Lostball wrote:

As I recall Jesus was pretty good at turning water into wine. If he had thought that alcohol was sinful do you think he would have performed that neat little trick?
Hey, didn't you hear? The Baptists know that the word "wine" actually meant "grapejuice". Here's an instance where they don't actually follow the literal version of the Bible in order to fit their personal agenda!

Old 06-11-2008, 09:23 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,858,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Hey, didn't you hear? The Baptists know that the word "wine" actually meant "grapejuice". Here's an instance where they don't actually follow the literal version of the Bible in order to fit their personal agenda!
I'm Baptist.

Thanks for being so cordial.

For someone who constantly rails against stereotypes, you sure like to throw them out there.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:24 AM

3,951 posts, read 7,173,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Still part of the same phrase, which is speaking of marks for the dead... I have studied the Old Testament in-depth, and know perfectly well how to interpret these passages. But it's irrelevant anyway, since we have no idea what the original words said - even those of us who read Hebrew.

Well, since I & many others here don't really follow the Bible, it's kind of a moot point. If you don't want tattoos based on that passage, more power to you... but I live my life a different way, and don't let a book dictate my decisions. Different strokes for different folks, as people often say on here.
So you're "pick and choose" when it comes to the bible.:-)

Old 06-11-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I'm Baptist.

Thanks for being so cordial.

For someone who constantly rails against stereotypes, you sure like to throw them out there.
My apologies - I didn't mean to offend! But as a child in a Baptist church, even then I found it odd that they claimed the word "wine" actually meant "grapejuice". I see absoulely no problem with people abstaining from alcohol or using grapejuice for communion. But it really is a personal interpretation of one word in the Bible. And you don't see the hypocrisy of saying "Wine really means Grapejuce", but then using literal interpretations of other text? Either way, it's using the Bible to suit your needs. All Christians of every stripe do this, but some claim they don't.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:52 PM

76 posts, read 186,838 times
From the KVJ Matthew chapters 5,6,7... this is from Jesus' " Sermon On The Mount"

Matthew 5:1 ¶And seeing the multitudes, he [Jesus Christ] went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him:
2 And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying,

19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 7:28 And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine:
29 For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.

My friend, are these mere "suggestions" from the mouth of our Lord, or are they to be followed and obeyed?

If we did not need to be told what things to do and not to do then we would not have needed practically the whole New Testament. Then Paul wasted his time writing over 3/4 of the New Testament.... as well as the Holy Spirit in inspiring Paul to write.
How would we know not to steal, lie, cheat, commit adultery, unless the scriptures, through the Holy Spirit, tell us not to.
How would you know to stop at a stop sign if there was no stopsign there at the corner? 55 MPH is not a suggestion from the state, it's the law. Get caught breaking it and you will pay.

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Without the scriptures, we would have no way of knowing right from wrong, righteousness from sinfulness.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:16 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,795,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostball View Post
Thank you for your input regarding the laws in Leviticus. The thing that people do not understand is that it was the "rituals of the law" that we are not expected to keep. But the basic principles of the law still stand. Herein I must admit I have a problem. If we are to remember the sabbath day, to keep it Holy, do not work, because God said 6 days shalt thou work and rest on the seventh. Yet a man was stoned "killed" for gathering sticks to make a fire on the sabbath. They were to gather enough manna on the 6th day to hold them through the sabbath. Can anyone help me here?
Are we breaking the commandments if we even so much as turn our stoves on to heat water to make a cup of hot tea or coffee? How do we separate 'keeping the sabbath day Holy' and 'cooking dinner'?
I know this is a tad off the subject here.
That's why Orthodox/Chasidic Jews "rent a goy" (I forget the official term ) for the duration of every Sabbath, and have them do these tasks... it's not easy or convenient in modern life, but those who are committed to the faith will make these sacrifices. Not surprisingly, only the most dedicated Jews today keep the Sabbath to this degree!

Old 06-11-2008, 05:18 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,795,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
So you're "pick and choose" when it comes to the bible.:-)
Um, no... as I say often around here, I'm a culturally Jewish Atheist/Agnostic. I think I've been pretty open about my beliefs, and the fact that I don't follow the Bible - besides the obvious common sense stuff, which I'd do regardless. I also don't eat pork or shellfish, but that's for health reasons more than anything (I eat no meat except turkey & chicken). Please re-read my comments you quoted above, and you'll see that I clearly said I don't live by the Bible.

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-11-2008 at 10:55 PM..

Old 06-11-2008, 06:29 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,644,733 times
From an earlier post. Actually the wine in Biblical time was mixed six to one with water.
I'm a Christian and don't like tattoos but two of my boys have them and they like them. People all over the world decorate their bodies. Most women wear jewelry so I guess it is the same thing.
With communion it is the heart attitude. Wouldn't make an difference if it was Kool aid and bagels. No difference than with baptism, does it really matter if you are sprinkled or put under the water.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:26 AM

3,951 posts, read 7,173,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Um, no... as I say often around here, I'm a culturally Jewish Atheist/Agnostic. I think I've been pretty open about my beliefs, and the fact that I don't follow the Bible - besides the obvious common sense stuff, which I'd do regardless. I also don't eat pork or shellfish, but that's for health reasons more than anything (I eat no meat except turkey & chicken). Please re-read my comments you quoted above, and you'll see that I clearly said I don't live by the Bible.
Okay, I meant no offense either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality