Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 01:15 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,969,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
how can staunch Christian conservatives aprove war, discrimination (against gays, against blacks in the past), the death penalty, etc?

It's quite the contrary of what Jesus taught.
1. Just a little history lesson for you. It was the Republican party that went to war to end slavery. And it was the Democrats that went to war to prevent freeing the slaves. The Republicans won that war. Perhaps the Republicans should not of approved that war. If that were the case, maybe you could of had your own slave today.

2. And most of the civil rights laws on the books today were passed by Republicans.

3. And it is the Democratic Party that is doing it's best to keep abortion legal today, and it is the Republican party that has taken the high road once again to save the lives of countless millions of children by trying to ban abortion. The Democratic party lost the moral high ground long ago. And that is why most Christians are Republicans today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 02:36 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Ahhh yes.... the love and compassion that the Christian god has just oozes from this post.

Jehovah - the Christian God, the ONLY God, is just. He has love and compassion, but he will not be mocked. The bible says "That what a man sow, he will reap, God is not mocked", trouble is people think they can play around with 'ideas' of God, that they can do whatever they like and God will just pat them on the head and smile.

God loved us enough, to send Jesus to suffer - more than any man - on the cross for our sins. He was beaten, not lightly - NO - satan tried to kill Jesus there and then, he was beaten BEYOND what any man had been before or since. Anyone else would have died. Jesus stayed in his human body because he had to go to the cross.

Jesus took on himself, spiritual darkness and sin. For those who trust in him, he took THEIR sins, he took the fall.

THATS how much God loved us. BUT woe to those who KNOW the truth. They turn their back on it. They trample under their feet the cross and all it means. God is a Lion as well as a Lamb. Think on that and remember.....the FEAR of God is the beginning of wisdom.

As for wars, gays, black people - Christians are called to love people as Christ loved us. We do not hate gay people - we hate the sin, BUT there is all kinds of sin. We love all races - God made them ALL. As for Wars - sadly, sometimes, such as in World War 2 - we have to take a stand against EVIL. Hitler was evil and his ideas were terrible. Of course we had to take a stand. That was right. Sometimes war is neccessary.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:53 PM

229 posts, read 348,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting For Air View Post
What Jesus taught includes Matthew 10:34

34"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn
" 'a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law -
36a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.

The lamb of God is also the lion of the tribe of Judah.

I don't think you'll find many Christian conservatives that approve of war, but they understand in this world it may sometimes be necessary. I know of no Christian conservatives that approve of discrimination, but I know many that oppose granting special privileges to select groups based on their personal life choices. Also, the Christian conservatives I know have no judgement of people who choose to engage in homosexuality but they do believe sexual immorality of any kind to be sin (adultery and fornication included). It is possible to love the sinner and hate the sin at the same time.
Thou shalt not kill kind of negates all that, doesn't it?

Old 11-20-2008, 04:02 PM

229 posts, read 348,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
Jehovah - the Christian God, the ONLY God, is just. He has love and compassion, but he will not be mocked. The bible says "That what a man sow, he will reap, God is not mocked", trouble is people think they can play around with 'ideas' of God, that they can do whatever they like and God will just pat them on the head and smile.

God loved us enough, to send Jesus to suffer - more than any man - on the cross for our sins. He was beaten, not lightly - NO - satan tried to kill Jesus there and then, he was beaten BEYOND what any man had been before or since. Anyone else would have died. Jesus stayed in his human body because he had to go to the cross.

Jesus took on himself, spiritual darkness and sin. For those who trust in him, he took THEIR sins, he took the fall.

THATS how much God loved us. BUT woe to those who KNOW the truth. They turn their back on it. They trample under their feet the cross and all it means. God is a Lion as well as a Lamb. Think on that and remember.....the FEAR of God is the beginning of wisdom.

As for wars, gays, black people - Christians are called to love people as Christ loved us. We do not hate gay people - we hate the sin, BUT there is all kinds of sin. We love all races - God made them ALL. As for Wars - sadly, sometimes, such as in World War 2 - we have to take a stand against EVIL. Hitler was evil and his ideas were terrible. Of course we had to take a stand. That was right. Sometimes war is neccessary.
Jesus was by no means beaten or tortured more than any man before or since. No offense, but where do you get this idea? Being whipped 40 times and hung on a cross is I'm sure a very harsh thing. But the fact remains that there have been before and since many cases of torture far more extreme than this.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:21 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
Because most Christians and Republicans are hypocritical!

Old 11-21-2008, 03:03 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,121,785 times
Quote:
how can staunch Christian conservatives aprove war, discrimination (against gays, against blacks in the past), the death penalty, etc?

I think so often people point to the old testament to justify killing, war, hate and judgement for what they see as sin. I will not pretend to understand why this is so or why some think that just because they believe they have the right to judge others because I simply do not understand it. I have enough problems understanding myself and my own motives and actions. I cannot tell you how thankful I am that my salvation is through grace and not works, but my personal goal is to live up to Matthew 5.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:14 AM

3 posts, read 2,186 times
I see many responses with respect to peace from the Christian side of this discussion, although they must not have read the entire New or old testament. Pointing to the old testament as not being Christian due to the cruelty in it. Christians believe in both the old and new testament. But only quote the good parts of the bible when someone who doesnt agree cites parts of the bible with violence.

Being Gay is a sin in the Christian religion and according to the bible, they should be stoned to death. There are many references in both testaments that are very violent if you don't believe. According to the bible, all of the Catholic priests who sodomized the alter boys should not be alive!!! But yet, they get away with it.

But yet, can you be a Christian and only believe in the good parts of the bible? Not the whole thing? Thats kida like only adhering to part of the laws in your country and ignoring the rest.

Its pretty clear that most Christians have not really read the bible. I have and was Catholic. Most Christians, this site is proof, only will quote the parts of the bible that make their point even if it conflicts with other parts of the bible. Maybe they should form a new religion that takes out all the bad parts.

Fact of the matter is that the Christian religion killed more people over the last 2,000 years than any other religion on the planet! But they stand for peace?

Old 01-21-2014, 07:38 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,322,546 times
Dammit, I just found myself writing in response to a 6 year-old post (2008). Yeah, like the person I quoted was really going to respond.

I was reading through the other posts after I wrote mine and saw someone saying how the US should have focused on Afghanistan and gotten Osama bin Laden ... and I was thinking, "Huh? We DID get him."

Then I saw the year - 2008.

Egads.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:34 AM

874 posts, read 636,517 times
Quote:

Conservatives hate just about everybody - especially if they don't look just like them or don't talk like them or don't sit in church with them. Churches teach hate, disguised as Bible. I was sitting in the church pew when the hated flavor of the decade was Jews. Then it was Blacks. Then it was women. Then it was women, again. Hating women was pretty much the decade of the 60s. The churches were on a roll then. They still had Blacks to demonize and demonizing women came along, too. The churches were in their glory. The women put up with it for a long while, then, lo and behold, the tithes began to drop off. Soon the church got the message and shut up. I don't know who was next because I wasn't sitting in the pew anymore.

Now it is homosexuals. They are demonized because the Bible says homosexuality is a sin. Give me a break! What isn't??? The Bible tells us that we all are sinners and fall short of the glory of God. Homosexuality didn't even make the top 10! But, the good, conservative Christians are still harping on homosexuality. I wonder how they are doing with the top 10? Let's see here, "Love thy neighbor as thyself" comes to mind. I think they are pretty much blowing that one! "Thou shalt not bear false witness". They've botched that one, too. Sin doesn't have degrees. Sooooo, I guess if the homosexuals are going to burn in hell for their sins, there are going to be a lot of good Christians right there with them.

Who is next? I can't even imagine. The Muslims, I guess. Yeah, that would be my choice. They are quickly running out of people to hate. Whatever shall they do?

War is a given. Conservatives love war. God beat up on everybody in the OT, so the church always supports war. The death penalty is still up for grabs. The Fors and the Againsts are still pretty evenly split. The death penalty was popular in both the OT and the NT, but Jesus had compassion, so the jury is still out.

May God have mercy on us all and save us from organized religion.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:56 AM

874 posts, read 636,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Look to some of the posts for Gays and read it.
What does this even mean???

Quote:
But the bible is clear that homosexuality is a sin, and called an abomination.
That is true. However, it did not make the top 10. So, how are you doing with the top 10? "Love thy neighbor as thyself" comes to mind. The Bible tells us that we all are sinners and fall short of the glory of God. You know that there is no degree of sin. You burn in hell just as long for one sin as you do another.
If you are forgiven, so are they.

Quote:
Christians do not hate blacks. Black people are decendants of Noah just like whites and Asians, etc... There is no hatred there.
On which planet were you born ??? Obviously, you weren't sitting in a church pew in the 50s and 60s. Watch the news. Read the internet. Many Christians are still spewing hatred for Blacks and most of them are sitting in the Amen corner in church.

As far as Noah, you've spent your whole life in church, haven't you? Noah was a forerunner of the Jewish nation. Noah did not have a white son, a black son, and an Asian son - even though that is what they taught you in church. He had 3 Jewish-like sons. If the churches could have figured out where the races came from several thousand years ago, maybe they wouldn't be teaching such stupidity. Whites give birth to whites; Blacks give birth to Blacks; Asians give birth to Asians; Jews give birth to Jews. Every animal on the planet gives birth to its own kind. That is Biology. That is the way God designed it. God did not make an exception for Noah.

Quote:
Christ was not some libral pacifist. Read the Book, did he not make a whip and beat out the money changers in the temple? Jesus is God and God sends many people to hell.
Oh, lawdy, where are you coming from???? Jesus, the Christ was exactly a liberal pacifist. Got dictionary???? Obviously, you don't know the meaning of either word and you have NOT read your Bible. If this is what your church taught you, they need a reality check. Below, you will find the dictionary definition of both "liberal" and "pacifist". The OT will tell you how Jesus was both a liberal and a pacifist.

He didn't make a whip to beat the money changers in the temple because He was a pacifist. He was a liberal because he went against generations of accepted Jewish rules in order to change them and because he embraced everyone equally.

Jesus is NOT God. If you had read your Bible, you would know Jesus is not God even though your church (Catholic or Catholic off-shoot) told you He was.

As for God sending many people to hell, just where is that in the Bible?

liberal

[ ˈlib(ə)rəl ]

adjective

adjective: liberal
  1. open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values:
    "they have more liberal views toward marriage and divorce than some people"

pacifist

[ ˈpasəˌfist ]

noun

noun: pacifist · plural noun: pacifists
  1. a person who believes that war and violence are unjustifiable:
    "she was a committed pacifist all her life"
    synonyms: peace-lover · conscientious objector · passive resister · peacemaker · peacemonger · dove
    More
adjective

adjective: pacifist
  1. holding the belief that war and violence are unjustifiable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality