Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 04:56 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
This would be awful and one of the most horrible things anyone could go through, but I do believe with God ALL things are possible, and He will give His children the power and strength go get this.
I'm sure the little girl will feel the same way as some sick perverted man is doing what he's doing. I'm sure she's sitting there praying for God to help her.... Guess what? With all of the rape victims in this country, it doesn't seem God does a lot of interfering with that particular crime....

Oh wait... it's only AFTER the fact do people realize what a wonderful thing it is to have god in their life... It's BECAUSE he didn't interfere that people love him! It's because he was putting you on "trial" and "testing your faith". At the risk of being censored, what the heck kind of sick, demonic, manipulative, horrifying, indecent monster is this?!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 05:05 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
[quote=freedom;3062392]All of those things have been going on since time began, Cain slew Abel.

Maybe the lesson is that man is suppose to learn how to treat eachother and unless we experience these atrocities, we just won't get it.
I love when a tragedy happens and the whole town or area turns its focus to the we rather than the me. The trauma is horrific, but the hearts are changed hopefully forever, toward loving and helping their brothers and sisters. God knows much better than we, He's been doing it for a long, long, time.

godspeed,

freedom[/QUOTE
Tell that to to the Jews who were forced into the shower rooms at Auschwitz.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:10 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Face it, the only ones who could actually believe that god is a good god are those who are oblivious to the events happening in the world around them. Also all the events that have occurred in the last 2,000 years.
God may boast of his love and compassion, but the real world is the cutting edge...it's his chance to demsonstrate love and compassion. In that regard he falls flat on his face, just a windbag.
Personally, I believe my moral conscience is superior to that of god. Unfortunately. I don't have the power to change things.
Some look forward to spending eternity with god. I wouldn't want to even spend one day with god, least of all, eternity.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:25 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I'm sure the little girl will feel the same way as some sick perverted man is doing what he's doing. I'm sure she's sitting there praying for God to help her.... Guess what? With all of the rape victims in this country, it doesn't seem God does a lot of interfering with that particular crime....

Oh wait... it's only AFTER the fact do people realize what a wonderful thing it is to have god in their life... It's BECAUSE he didn't interfere that people love him! It's because he was putting you on "trial" and "testing your faith". At the risk of being censored, what the heck kind of sick, demonic, manipulative, horrifying, indecent monster is this?!?!
These sick evil things happen because we live in a fallen sinful world and man has free will.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Some look forward to spending eternity with god. I wouldn't want to even spend one day with god, least of all, eternity.
Don't worry doesn't look like you will

Old 03-07-2008, 05:31 PM

738 posts, read 1,884,419 times
I am going to repost my reply: Please read this:

One common misconception needs to be cleared up first.
Many people think of Almighty God as the ruler of this world, the one who is in direct control of everything.

1 John 5:19 states: “The whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one.”
Jesus Christ identified him as Satan the Devil, whom he called “the ruler of the world.” (John 14:30) Satan is cruel, deceptive, and hateful—traits that underlie much of the suffering that people experience.

How would a loving and capable mom or dad feel if he was publicly accused of lying to his children, abusing his authority over them, and withholding good things from them? Would they disprove those slanderous accusations by physically assaulting his accuser? No!! By reacting in such a manner, They might give credibility to the accusations. This helps explain God’s way of handling a challenge raised against him at the dawn of human history in a place called Eden.

One of God’s spirit sons, motivated by the desire to be worshipped, told Eve that if she ate the forbidden fruit, she would not die. (Genesis 2:17; 3:1-5) Thus, this wicked angel, Satan, blatantly contradicted God, essentially calling him a liar! Satan also went on to accuse God of withholding vital knowledge from Adam and Eve. Humans, Satan implied, should be able to decide for themselves what is good and what is bad. Simply put, Satan accused God of being an unfit Ruler and Father and implied that he, Satan, could do a better job.

GOD could have destroyed the rebels on the spot. Such issues cannot be settled by violent retaliation. Keep in mind too that when Satan challenged God, millions of angels were listening. In fact an undisclosed number later joined Satan in his rebellion, making themselves demons.—Mark 1:34; 2 Peter 2:4; Jude 6.
Satan founded a family that was not truly independent but under his authority. Influenced, knowingly or unknowingly, by their “father,” the Devil, this family would choose its own goals and standards of conduct. (John 8:44)

Mankind, alienated from God and misled by Satan, has built a world system that breeds more and more misery and hopelessness. Even the earth itself is being ruined! Mankind has built a world system of things, trying all kinds of rulership and human rules. Wars, famines, natural disasters, sickness, and death have plagued mankind, causing “futility,” “pain,” and “groaning,” just as the Bible states.—Romans 8:19-22; Ecclesiastes 8:9.

‘Why has God not prevented tragedies?’ Really, that would be an injustice, and it would cloud the issue by making it seem that rebelling against God is without consequence.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
These sick evil things happen because we live in a fallen sinful world and man has free will.
Yeah, I get all that... but here's where I question things...

Fine... we live in a violent, sick, 'fallen', sinful world. It's man's fault. We shouldn't expect to pray while we're being raped and have God step in and interfere because it's man's fault in the beginning.

So, let's take that to the next level.... How can we be so selfish to think that somewhere (probably as we're speaking) there is a 10-year old girl being brutally raped, maybe even murdered afterwards, by some sick man and God is standing by watching??? YET, and this is a HUGE YET, we're going to pray to God to help us through little inconveniences such as broken legs and arms. We're going to thank him for not letting us die in that fender bender. We're going to give all the glory to him because we came across some money at a tough time. We're going to praise, worship, and scream his name because a loved one recovered from an ailment. We're going to give credit to all things because he is so loving. AND YET, YET!!! YET! We're going to do this with the forebearance that right now some poor young girl is being raped and God is idly standing by watching because we live in a fallen world....

Old 03-07-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Yeah, I get all that... but here's where I question things...

Fine... we live in a violent, sick, 'fallen', sinful world. It's man's fault. We shouldn't expect to pray while we're being raped and have God step in and interfere because it's man's fault in the beginning.

So, let's take that to the next level.... How can we be so selfish to think that somewhere (probably as we're speaking) there is a 10-year old girl being brutally raped, maybe even murdered afterwards, by some sick man and God is standing by watching??? YET, and this is a HUGE YET, we're going to pray to God to help us through little inconveniences such as broken legs and arms. We're going to thank him for not letting us die in that fender bender. We're going to give all the glory to him because we came across some money at a tough time. We're going to praise, worship, and scream his name because a loved one recovered from an ailment. We're going to give credit to all things because he is so loving. AND YET, YET!!! YET! We're going to do this with the forebearance that right now some poor young girl is being raped and God is idly standing by watching because we live in a fallen world....
God is not idly watching. It is not His will for any of this evil stuff to happen, but He allows it because He respects mans free will. I don't expect you to understand, I think you have to be a believer to understand and even some believers have questions about this. The devil is the one to blame here, not God.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:52 PM

738 posts, read 1,884,419 times
I totally agree with you GCSTROOP!!!
It is hard to comprehend!!! Especially when Almighty God has the power to stop it. One day ALMIGHTY GOD WILL!!!!!
By themselves, humans will never be able to conquer the ultimate sponsor of evil, Satan the Devil. Soon GOD will use Jesus to crush Satan’s head AND direct Christ Jesus to “crush and put an end” to all the evil: ALL WHO HAVE perpetrated so much evil throughout history.. (Genesis 3:15; Romans 16:20) During this coming day of judgment, all those who “do not obey the good news about our Lord Jesus . . . will undergo the judicial punishment of everlasting destruction.”—2 Thessalonians 1:8, 9; Zephaniah 1:14-18.

Almight God will not force people to obey the good news about Jesus. However, he is giving people the opportunity to take in the knowledge that leads to life. It is vital to take advantage of this opportunity (Zephaniah 2:2, 3) If you do so, you will learn how to cope with any evil that now blights life. You will also see how Christ will lead the ultimate conquest of evil.—Revelation 19:11-16; 20:1-3, 10; 21:3, 4.

The mass murders, rapes, and pillaging are extreme examples of what happens when people allow wrong desires to dictate their actions. many sincere people have engaged in evil acts because of a lack of accurate knowledge of God’s will.

While Satan cannot force people to do evil things, he is a master at “misleading the entire inhabited earth.”—Revelation 12:9, 12.

As the imperfect human race increased in number, it became evident that “the inclination of the heart of man is bad from his youth up.”—Genesis 8:21.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
God is not idly watching. It is not His will for any of this evil stuff to happen, but He allows it because He respects mans free will. I don't expect you to understand, I think you have to be a believer to understand and even some believers have questions about this. The devil is the one to blame here, not God.
You're missing the point.

My point is that we trivial, pattern-seeking humans love to attribute the cool little perks in life to God. People praise him for all of the wonderful things that happen in their life. To many, he's obviously interfering with job interviews, band-aid injuries, car accidents, plane crashes with survivors, winning the lottery, making a football star a pro, helping teams win the Super Bowl, aiding people in times of crisis. All these things AND MANY MORE are all attributed to God having stepped in and assisted on some level.

However, when it comes to something bad, we automatically attribute that to Satan. Satan=bad and therefore anything bad that happens is satan's fault. God's not going to interfere with it because it's a fallen world. He's going to let that little girl get raped, but he's going to help us with our SAT's to show us his love??? That's sweet.

And, quite honestly, the 'cop out' of "You're not a believer, you wouldn't understand" is kind of insulting. If believing requires me to put blinders on and ignore this sort of rationality than so be it, but it doesn't mean I don't understand it. Faith in God requires that you have to take a position of trust in an unprovable force that "he" is not idly watching by as a ten-year old gets raped. He is merely just disappointed as to the outcome of things because we live in a fallen world?

Regardless, in the end, it doesn't prove or disprove God, it just makes me question the reality of what many people consider "The Greatest Love of All". It seems to me, that it should be called "The Greatest Fair-Weather Fan Syndrome of All".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality