Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 02:17 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,648,113 times

Advertisements

Howdy all,

I was in my R.S. (Religious Studies) class today and I was browsing over a sheet listing the Ten Commandments and it got me thinking. The Bible is full of rules and regs that everyone must abide by in order to live a good, righteous life and make it into Heaven but why is it that lots of the things that are denounced aren't featured in the Commandments? Just one example is homosexuality. The Bible says that homosexuality is a sin but if it is really that bad in God's eyes then why didn't he make a Commandment, 'Thou shalt not be homosexual'? It wouldn't half clear up a lot of confusion. There are other situations where this occurs to however I'm far to lazy to start listing them.

Also how come the Bible contradicts itself with regard to the Commandments, specifically 'Thou shalt not kill'? That message couldn't be any clearer but if you were to list everything the Bible says you should be put to death for you'd be writing for ages. Just seems a bit of a contradiction to me.

Just a few thoughts,

Will/boycew02
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 02:19 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,754,224 times
The bible is full of contradictions; so many that it would take a long long time to list them all here. Take it as a lovely story book full of lessons, some of which are useful and some of which are not; just don't take it as hard cold fact.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:22 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,626 times
Sacred scriptures are something where you should use your intuition, because the people who wrote them, wrote them in such a way that most of the infinite truths contained there are hidden in metaphors and allegories, which will inspire the common man, but only the serious spiritual aspirant will extract the wisdom of the full meaning contained in those words.

And regarding commandments, especially the first one, if we really sticked to them, we'd be in heaven already

Old 03-07-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Sacred scriptures are something where you should use your intuition, because the people who wrote them, wrote them in such a way that most of the infinite truths contained there are hidden in metaphors and allegories, which will inspire the common man, but only the serious spiritual aspirant will extract the wisdom of the full meaning contained in those words.
So basically they made it intentionally awkward? Seems a bit unfair on those of us who are a little slow. Plus if you are suppose to use your intuition to work out what is right and wrong then why did God bother with the Ten Commandments in the first place? Any sin can supposedly get you sent down to hell so it can't be the most serious ones because they're all apparently equal (something else I find hard to believe).

Old 03-07-2008, 02:52 PM

738 posts, read 1,883,943 times
The Ten Commandments are 10 laws in the Bible that God gave to the nation of Israel shortly after the exodus from Egypt.

The Ten Commandments are a summary of the 600 plus commandments contained in the Old Testament Law. The first four commandments deal with our relationship with God. The second six commandments deal with our relationships with one another. The Ten Commandments are found in Exodus 20:1-17 and Deuteronomy 5:6-21.

To understand, the issue is knowing that the Old Testament law was given to the nation of Israel, not to Christians. Some of the laws were to make the Israelites know how to obey and please God (the Ten Commandments for example), some of them were to show them how to worship God (the sacrificial system), some of them were to simply make the Israelites different from other nations (the food and clothing rules). None of the Old Testament law apply to us in our day, today .

When Jesus died on the cross, He put an end to the Old Testament law (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:23-25; Ephesians 2:15).

“This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome” (1 John 5:3). If we truly Love God, we wouldn't be committing these types of things anyway.
In place of the Old Testament law, we are under the law of Christ (Galatians 6:2) which is to, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:56 PM

23,013 posts, read 34,372,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycew02 View Post
Howdy all,

I was in my R.S. (Religious Studies) class today and I was browsing over a sheet listing the Ten Commandments and it got me thinking. The Bible is full of rules and regs that everyone must abide by in order to live a good, righteous life and make it into Heaven but why is it that lots of the things that are denounced aren't featured in the Commandments? Just one example is homosexuality. The Bible says that homosexuality is a sin but if it is really that bad in God's eyes then why didn't he make a Commandment, 'Thou shalt not be homosexual'? It wouldn't half clear up a lot of confusion. There are other situations where this occurs to however I'm far to lazy to start listing them.

Also how come the Bible contradicts itself with regard to the Commandments, specifically 'Thou shalt not kill'? That message couldn't be any clearer but if you were to list everything the Bible says you should be put to death for you'd be writing for ages. Just seems a bit of a contradiction to me.

Just a few thoughts,

Will/boycew02
The 10 Commandments were given as a guide line, not every sin is listed there. The Bible is very clear, to me about homosexuality being a sin, no confusion. I personally do not believe the Bible contradicts itself, rather Scripture backs up Scripture. But it needs to read and mediated on and ask God to help you and open your mind to His teachings and He will.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:58 PM

Thanks for the post guys, I think I'm slowly beginning to get it. If, however, the Ten Commandments are a summary of a set of laws which became defunct when Jesus died on the cross then doesn't that imply that even they don't apply any more? Plus, how can you summarise a set of laws in which each sin is as bad as the next?

Old 03-07-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the post guys, I think I'm slowly beginning to get it. If, however, the Ten Commandments are a summary of a set of laws which became defunct when Jesus died on the cross then doesn't that imply that even they don't apply any more? Plus, how can you summarise a set of laws in which each sin is as bad as the next?
No, they still apply today. Matthew 5:17 "Don't misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to fulfill them". (This is Jesus talking here)

Old 03-07-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
No, they still apply today. Matthew 5:17 "Don't misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to fulfill them". (This is Jesus talking here)
Okay but I still don't understand why they aren't specific. There are ten Commandments but seemingly hundreds of hidden laws that you must also follow. If God really wants as many people to get into Heaven as possible then why doesn't He just list everything classified as a 'sin'? It would make things a heck of a lot less confusing.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Okay but I still don't understand why they aren't specific. There are ten Commandments but seemingly hundreds of hidden laws that you must also follow. If God really wants as many people to get into Heaven as possible then why doesn't He just list everything classified as a 'sin'? It would make things a heck of a lot less confusing.
The 10 Commandments were given as a guide, to show us we need a Savior, no one can keep the 10 Commandments. Galations 3:24 "Let me put it another way. The law was our guardian and teacher to lead us until Christ came. So now through faith in Christ, we are made right with God".
We don't get into Heaven by keeping the 10 Commandments because no one can do that, we get into Heaven by accepting Jesus as our Savior. When you become a Christian and develop a relationship with the Lord, the Holy Spirit will point out what is sin in your life, it is not confusing. The devil tries to make people think that it is so they will just give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality