Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2017, 02:09 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,187,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I guess you just have trouble understanding me. What have I ignored? You have ignored substantiating your claims. Why? I will take it that you can't substantiate them.
I suppose you need to take that up with the OT an NT. The god you worship is a vengeful murderous, genocidal narcissistic psychopath.
No I did not ignore anything...that's just what you want to claim. I said that you do not know what was written by Jesus since his supposed words were written 200 years after his supposed existence. Jesus did not write any of it. You don't even know who wrote the book you worship. LOL not surprised.

Now I will ask you again...but I suspect you will just dodge it and ignore it. Why do you not read Buddha's words? Why not Mohammad's words? Why not Paramahansa Yogananda's words? Is it because you have an unopened mind and choose to view the world through a very narrow lens?
Grow up will you? Penalizing me

You have made zero arguments...only opinionated statements and claims you can't substantiate even when challenged.
Here you go again making unjust claims. A person does not have to have a Christian foundation to do the least harm possible. You are so limited it's ridiculous. People claiming to be good little Christians are the least trusting humans and most harmful humans I have ever encountered. Again you need a serious history lesson.
Sounds like a personal problem to me. People like you need to seek professional counseling if you have trouble behaving morally.
You have a lot to learn about humans. You also have a failure to recognize that Christianity as well as other major religions have been around a long time...if religion truly worked then the would would not be in the shape it's in. Religion is not what humans need...in fact it creates hatred and divide. Just listen to your limited narrow views and how you apply them to everyone who does not believe in what you believe in. You are a perfect example of how your religion teaches you to view the humans as Me, Myself and I beliefs, vs. those who don't. I could care less what you want to believe...you have no right to demonize the rest of the world for not believing in what you *think* we should believe. It's folks just like you who create the divide of the world.
Well I hate to break it to you but Buddhism and many other religious practices requires selflessness. You just need to step outside of your limited view and take a good look around.
I don't respect made up stories.
If you want to believe in a story that was generated about a person called Jesus 200 years after his supposed existence then go knock yourself out. At least I know that Gandhi existed and was a good example of a leader demonstrated truth, peace and selflessness even though it lead to his demise.
This is not what your bible teaches. Have you ever read the OT? Or the NT? Also the only requirement needed to be a Christian is to just "believe" in all the rubbish you are expected to believe in.
You don't get to dictate how posters respond to you. I use the quote feature to breakdown you nonsense quote per quote.
I have addressed everything you have posted that is within the topic of this thread. If you can't follow along then I suggest you not participate in forums.
Matadora, why do I need to worship a book?

Matadora, listen. Again, you are missing the point completely. Jimmy down the block could have written those words said to be of Christ, and they would be no less righteous.

It's not about who wrote the words, the words themselves. The words are righteous. If you actually took the time to read the words, you might be able to decipher that for yourself.

Instead, you lecture me and patronize me and feel superior to me, but you ignore me. You don't listen to me.

I mean, you actually think that you're better than me and you don't even know me. And why? Because I believe something that you've determined was impossible. How you have that type of power, I don't know, but apparently you do.

I don't discount anything because I don't know anything. You apparently know everything. So what's the point of me getting into an argument with a girl that knows everything about everything?

I simply can't win. As for the paragraph, I would just like to see your thoughts summarized. That's all. Anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 02:10 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,187,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think it's sad or that you need the threat of gaining/losing some mythical afterlife to have any sense of morals.

As for genocide and violence, religion is your go-to bad guy on that one.

Religion was created as a means for offering solace to people in times that were very hard indeed. If you have 10 babies and six of them die, wouldnt it make you feel better to know that they are up with God and Heaven somewhere wonderful? Rather than think that that's just the way things are and their lives were meaningless and fleeting? When your crops fail and you lose everything, doesn't it make you feel better to know that it's part of a greater plan and a path to your reward?

It was also created as a way to control people when there were no obvious consequences for their behavior. And justify treating different people poorly.

Aside from some cultural practices and light community building, it has no place in modern times. Except maybe to keep throngs of people with no integrity who would otherwise have no moral senses in check. Though it has done fairly crappy job of that.
It doesn't matter what you think about what you think I believe. I just speak reality. I prefer the truth to a lie.

If you can't accept that, it's not really my problem.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:52 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
It doesn't matter what you think about what you think I believe. I just speak reality. I prefer the truth to a lie.

The I am right/truth and all others live lies is one of the reasons that there have been religious wars. Apparently peace and harmony means agreeing with you. One of the biggest difference between some atheists and some religious folks is that many of us will simply state that we do not believe in any gods whereas you seem to believe that yours is the truth therefore the others must be lies and if you cannot accept that other's reality is just as true as yours that is your problem and it is folks like you that bring strife between the different religions or denominations.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:54 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,760,459 times
I'm not rich nor powerful, yet atheism appeals to me. Go figure.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:55 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
Of course I would live my life differently. I would live my life much differently. Why would I be disciplined if I didn't have to be?

If things got too difficult I could simply kill myself and cease to exist.

I would take advantage of atheism. Why wouldn't I?
Why aren't you? Why do you insist on pretending there is a God, when you know there is not? What advantage do you see in this behavior?

Old 05-19-2017, 04:56 PM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:

It's pretty obvious that you have very little idea how real world atheists & agnostics think. You would improve your understanding a great deal if you would stop posting for a few days and spend that time reading threads in the Atheism & Agnosticism sub-forum, really reading what they have had to say about their conversions away from religion, their views of morality, and the way they treat other people. What you post is quite different from what I see then saying about themselves.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I refer to Jesus. Those who kill in the name of Jesus violate the principles of Jesus. Jesus instructs us to love our enemies.
That's true, and Jesus reportedly said some pretty cool things. It's possible to think so and not believe in "God", you know.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
You know the answers to all of life's questions? What stocks should I invest in? Seriously, you know, right? Have you actually investigated geological dating methods? If you have, you'll realize that we don't know much about anything. For example, carbon 14 being found on things that should be much older.

We really don't know much. We are no different than past societies that thought they knew everything, only to find out later that they were wrong. The fact that you don't accept that you don't know the answers, means you are going through life with blinders on.

You see, I don't know what's going to happen when I die or prior to that point because I can't predict the future; however, I do know that an atheist society, assuming that all believe as you do, has no consequences.

You can essentially live your life however you please, as long as it benefits you. And why wouldn't you? Would you shed a tear if people like me who believe in Jesus, (you know, idiots in your mind), were exterminated, so you we could create more balance in society, in terms of resource utilization?

Why would you care? You probably don't even like me now, so what difference would it make to you? I am just like, a parasite. Eating, using resources, essentially, lowering the earth's property value for those who inhabit it.

You should keep an open mind and realize that what you're pushing is unwittingly going to lead to your own demise, yet you're blinded by your bias. Open your mind.
How do you "know" that?

Old 05-19-2017, 05:40 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
How do you "know" that?
It appears Jobster is unaware that we are a nation of laws with a judicial system that is not tied to any theocracy.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:49 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Matadora, why do I need to worship a book?
I am not going to speculate why you need to worship a book. You can answer that for yourself.
Quote:
Matadora, listen. Again, you are missing the point completely. Jimmy down the block could have written those words said to be of Christ, and they would be no less righteous.
It does not matter to me what you think are righteous words. The bible is one of the most unmoral books out there. It is full of disturbing sick actions...I don't find killing, raping, genocide, slavery, animal abuse, belittling women etc to be righteous words.
Quote:
It's not about who wrote the words, the words themselves. The words are righteous. If you actually took the time to read the words, you might be able to decipher that for yourself.
I don't need to read it to find morality. Your book cannot in any way be the answer to the question of moral truth. Why?

The simple fact that all the scriptures were written by people, who by virtue of their placement on planet earth, had little to no access to scientific knowledge or even common sense. They lived during a time that their world view would be considered today to be very narrow and unworldly.

These people knew nothing of the facts that are now relevant in today’s world in the 21 Century. They knew nothing about the origins of life, the relationship between the mind and brain, they did not even know that mental illness actually existed in humans. They knew nothing about DNA or viruses. Nothing about computation, technology or even electricity. None of this is in scripture. They had no idea why people became sick and died.

They were no more knowledgeable than your average ISIS warlord today. They had no problem with slavery or owning people and treating them like farm equipment. Neither Jesus nor his apostles couldn’t see that slavery was worth condemning.
Quote:
Instead, you lecture me and patronize me and feel superior to me, but you ignore me. You don't listen to me.
Play victim all you want and ascribe positions to me that I don't hold all you want...it does not make it true. This is a public forum and if you can't handle discussions without playing the victim card then perhaps a public forum is not for you.
Quote:
I mean, you actually think that you're better than me and you don't even know me. And why?
There you go again ascribing positions to me that I don't hold. Why do you do this?
Quote:
Because I believe something that you've determined was impossible.
I have no idea what you are talking about.
Quote:
How you have that type of power, I don't know, but apparently you do
There you go again ascribing positions to me that I don't hold. Why do you do this?
Quote:
I don't discount anything because I don't know anything. You apparently know everything. So what's the point of me getting into an argument with a girl that knows everything about everything?
Quote:
I simply can't win. As for the paragraph, I would just like to see your thoughts summarized. That's all. Anyway.
There is nothing here to win. What are you seeking to win?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality