Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2017, 01:25 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Which is really odd if you think it through, since no where in the OT did He reveal those specific characteristics to any of the people He revealed Himself to, yet He and His Father are one, and yet He told the men on the road that the law and prophets testified of Him. If you were a thinking man, you'd almost think He had other traits besides those you're hanging your hat on.....wouldn't you? Peace
If you were a thinking woman you would realize that contradictory characteristics are an indication of multiple personality disorder and that ALL characteristics must be consistent with each other in a sane entity.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:12 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
I don't know about that nate. I think that implies we know more than we know. An eye and an ear don't look the same, I am the same. I can believe that we should "save" everybody but have an understanding that limited resources are in order.

For example, in 2003, checking people into airports. there is logistical reasons to let a certain profile go by and stop another profile even though it is "unfair". Now, in 2017, that profile has changed. I would be as likely to let a middle eastern girl wearing the head thing go by and stop a white male.

totally contradictory, totally reasonable too.

Its just logistics.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:33 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I don't know about that nate. I think that implies we know more than we know. An eye and an ear don't look the same, I am the same. I can believe that we should "save" everybody but have an understanding that limited resources are in order.

For example, in 2003, checking people into airports. there is logistical reasons to let a certain profile go by and stop another profile even though it is "unfair". Now, in 2017, that profile has changed. I would be as likely to let a middle eastern girl wearing the head thing go by and stop a white male.

totally contradictory, totally reasonable too.

Its just logistics.
No, it is NOT contradictory, it is part and parcel of the concern for everyone in any situation. The convenience of a particular group is subject to the safety of the whole. I grant that there may be a fair amount of work involved in taking it all into consideration because of conflicting needs and desires, but the concern does not change.
This is why some people and actions need to be dealt with in a way they don't like, but may both wake the person(s) involved up to what is wrong with their behavior AND let the people observing know that some behavior will not just get by.
What REALLY tickles me is the people who are constantly saying that love is not "namby pamby" get all upset when they are not treated in a "namby pamby" manner (see posts above by Rbbi1 and n..xcuipa}

Last edited by nateswift; 11-18-2017 at 07:42 AM..

Old 11-18-2017, 09:30 AM

23,144 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Mystic, If believed like you and Nate, I would at least be true to myself and stop all this silliness about there being a God or an afterlife. Both you people cancel out God and then you wanna pretend that there is a God or that he had a son?

Get over yourself, if you prove that there is no God, why are you people pretending that there is a God or an afterlife?

You sure can't hang on to Jesus after you prove the father wrong, Jesus came in the will of the father and he justified the laws of Moses and he said so. Jesus said that whoever keeps the laws and teaches others to keep it will be the greatest in the kingdom, and since both of you being a genius, how you gonna sell a Messiah who stands behind a wicked God?

And it isn't like I should have to prove to you that Jesus COULDN"T be a Messiah because of the fact that there is no God after you prove there aint.

AT LEAST, I stand true to myself, because If I believed what you guys claim, I sure wouldn't be peddling Jesus, if the father is wicked, THERE ARE NO PROPHESIES OF A COMING MESSIAH, THERE IS NO MESSIAH BECAUSE YOU HAVE TAKEN ALL THE REASONS FOR A MESSIAH AWAY.

I do understand that neither one of you know the laws, neither one of you know the religion of Jesus and so you don't even see the implication of you proving the God of Israel to be wicked.

What you people teach is hopelessness because you prove there is no need for a Messiah to come walking in the law in order to be righteous, IF THE LAW IS UNRIGHTEOUS, SO IS JESUS.

Yeah, I know you don't get it.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:46 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Mystic, If believed like you and Nate, I would at least be true to myself and stop all this silliness about there being a God or an afterlife. Both you people cancel out God and then you wanna pretend that there is a God or that he had a son?

Get over yourself, if you prove that there is no God, why are you people pretending that there is a God or an afterlife?

You sure can't hang on to Jesus after you prove the father wrong, Jesus came in the will of the father and he justified the laws of Moses and he said so. Jesus said that whoever keeps the laws and teaches others to keep it will be the greatest in the kingdom, and since both of you being a genius, how you gonna sell a Messiah who stands behind a wicked God?

And it isn't like I should have to prove to you that Jesus COULDN"T be a Messiah because of the fact that there is no God after you prove there aint.

AT LEAST, I stand true to myself, because If I believed what you guys claim, I sure wouldn't be peddling Jesus, if the father is wicked, THERE ARE NO PROPHESIES OF A COMING MESSIAH, THERE IS NO MESSIAH BECAUSE YOU HAVE TAKEN ALL THE REASONS FOR A MESSIAH AWAY.

I do understand that neither one of you know the laws, neither one of you know the religion of Jesus and so you don't even see the implication of you proving the God of Israel to be wicked.

What you people teach is hopelessness because you prove there is no need for a Messiah to come walking in the law in order to be righteous, IF THE LAW IS UNRIGHTEOUS, SO IS JESUS.

you do't understand hanni, we say you have the traits wrong. there isn't nothing, but claiming that jesus rose from the dead is silly.

we completely understand your description. Infact, out of a 100 people, we can start paring off the basics at 85. at 90, there has to be some honesty. we can't act like the rest understand fully.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:10 PM

22,165 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
.... Mystic clearly says, and clearly demonstrates, that he begins with faith, first and foremost, based on his mystical experience. But, to his credit, he does not think that knowledge derived from faith/mysticism should blatantly contradict science, history, and logic. So he tries to reconcile his insight with modern knowledge as well as he can. ....
No, his central focus is not faith, it is science. I asked him with regards to theology who he looks up to. He gave a long list of books and articles, shown below, look at them. Do they cover topics of faith? character development? becoming a more humble loving person? living a life of kindness charity and compassion? No they cover topics of science. That is first and foremost his theology: science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
what books, writers, authors, teachers do you look to with regards to theology and religion who are the the ones you look to with respect, look to for learning, acknowledge as experts, those with superior learning you seek to emulate and learn from, that you admire as having knowledge and qualities and example you hope to be like one day.

or are there any at all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post

Haggard, P. (2008). Human volition: towards a neuroscience of will. Nature Reviews Neuroscience, 9, 934-946.
James, W. (1890). The principles of psychology. New York, NY: Henry Holt.

Leskowitz, Eric (2000). Phantom limb pain treated with Therapeutic Touch: a case report. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 81, 522-524.

Leskowitz, Eric (2001). Phantom limb pain: subtle energy perspectives. Subtle Energies and Energy Medicine, 8(2), 125-152.

Libet, B. (1973). Electrical stimulation of cortex in human subjects, and conscious sensory aspects. In A. Iggo (ed.), Handbook of sensory physiology, volume II: Somatosensory system (pp. 743–790). Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag.

Libet, B. (1985). Unconscious cerebral initiative and the role of conscious will in voluntary action. Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 8, 529–566.

Libet, B. (1993). Neurophysiology of consciousness: Selected papers and new essays. Boston, MA: Birkhäuser.

Libet, B. (2004). Mind time: the temporal factor in consciousness. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.

Libet, B., Alberts, W. W., Wright, E. W., Lewis, M., and Feinstein, B. (1975). Cortical representation of evoked potentials relative to conscious sensory responses, and of somatosensory qualities – in man. In H. H. Kornhuber (ed.), The somatosensory system (pp. 291–308). Acton, MA: Publishing Sciences Group.

Libet, B., Gleason, C. A., Wright, E. W., and Pearl, D. K. (1983). Time of conscious intention to act in relation to onset of cerebral activity (readiness-potential): The unconscious initiation of a freely voluntary act. Brain, 106, 623–642.

Libet, B., Pearl, D. K., Morledge, D. E., Gleason, C. A., Hosobuchi, Y., and Barbaro, N. M. (1991). Control of the transition from sensory detection to sensory awareness in man by the duration of a thalamic stimulus: The cerebral “time-on” factor. Brain, 114, 1731–1757.

Mays, R. G., and Mays, S. B. (2008a). The phenomenology of the self-conscious mind. Journal of Near-Death Studies, 27(1), 5-45.

Mays, R. G., and Mays, S. B. (2008b). Phantom limb “touch” suggests that a “mind-limb” extends beyond the physical body. Poster presentation at Toward a Science of Consciousness Conference, April 8-12, 2008, Tucson, AZ.

Mays, R. G., and Mays, S. B. (2009). On the scope of analysis for the AWARE study. Journal of Near-Death Studies, 27(3), 195-201.

Moody, Jr., R. A. (1975). Life after life: the investigation of a phenomenon – survival of bodily death. New York, NY: Bantam Books.

Moody, Jr., R. A. and Perry, P. (1988). The light beyond. New York, NY: Bantam Books.

Nikolajsen, L., and Jensen, T. S. (2001). Phantom limb pain. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 87(1), 107-116.

Pascual-Leone, A., Dang, N., Cohen, L. G., Brasil-Neto, J. P., Cammarota, A., and Hallett, M. (1995). Modulation of muscle responses evoked by transcranial magnetic stimulation during the acquisition of new fine motor skills. Journal of Neurophysiology, 74, 1037–1045.

Penfield, W., and Rasmussen, T. (1950). The Cerebral Cortex of Man: A clinical study of the localization of function. New York, NY: Hafner Publishing Co. (1968).

Ryle, G. (1949). The Concept of Mind. New York, NY: Hutchinson's University Library.

Schwartz, J. M. (1999). A role for volition and attention in the generation of new brain circuitry: Toward a neurobiology of mental force. Journal of Consciousness Studies, 6, 115–142.

Sheldrake, R. (1995). Seven Experiments that Could Change the World: A do-it-yourself guide to revolutionary science. Rochester, VT: Park Street Press (2002).

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-18-2017 at 07:35 PM..

Old 11-18-2017, 09:33 PM

691 posts, read 419,775 times
Huh! Hmm

I dont

Old 11-19-2017, 07:26 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,042,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post

EXACTLY. Peace

Old 11-19-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
If you were a thinking woman you would realize that contradictory characteristics are an indication of multiple personality disorder and that ALL characteristics must be consistent with each other in a sane entity.

But they're not the same entity Nate. You just can't comprehend that for there to be mercy, there must needs be a reason for it, ie. judgment. Peace

Old 11-19-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
No, his central focus is not faith, it is science. I asked him with regards to theology who he looks up to. He gave a long list of books and articles, shown below, look at them. Do they cover topics of faith? character development? becoming a more humble loving person? living a life of kindness charity and compassion? No they cover topics of science. That is first and foremost his theology: science.

True that. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality