Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2018, 02:49 PM

21,862 posts, read 19,015,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
Humans are primates who have developed cortical areas capable of self-reflective consciousness and abstract/logical thought.

Along a more speculative metaphysical line of thought, I would say that animal sentience brings qualitative experience into the determinant world, and qualitative experience in the form of abstract recognition of alternative possibilities brings free will into the world. And Free Will brings morality. Free will also goes hand-in-hand with the possibility of questioning, which bring spirituality into the world.

Good topics if you want to start a different thread to continue discussion I am happy to explore these topics further. The thread I started was closed. This fruitful and enjoyable discussion can continue but not in this thread which has long since died. I look forward to and would welcome further conversation on a different thread. You've raised some excellent topics and questions that merit response.

Old 05-27-2018, 04:59 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,468,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Machines are objects. They are not alive.
Simple basic question for you or anyone.
What distinguishes a human from a machine?

And what sets humans apart from animals?
thats not what i asked you tzap. Of course machines aren't alive today. we know that.

I am asking you what to make of the fact that there is not one thing alive in a cell but we classify that volume as "life".

Old 05-27-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
This line of thought (acknowledging the open questions about the lines between consciousness and non consciousness) is not what makes humans act inhumanely towards other human beings. But your line of thought could easily lead to humans acting inhumanely toward beings who are not genetically human.
lmao, like we need a reason to be "inhuman".

Old 05-27-2018, 05:03 PM

Moderator cut: edit

My question still stands. How would we misrepresent the "chemistry" in a computer by taking it apart, studying its processes, and analyzing them if we did not understand that the binary language is what is determining how it behaves?"

Last edited by mensaguy; 05-28-2018 at 05:03 AM..

Old 05-27-2018, 05:05 PM

23,154 posts, read 26,041,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
lmao, like we need a reason to be "inhuman".
Whatever 'we' do is human. "Inhumane' is a different thing.
Semantics again?

Old 05-27-2018, 05:11 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,815,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
thats not what i asked you tzap. Of course machines aren't alive today. we know that.

I am asking you what to make of the fact that there is not one thing alive in a cell but we classify that volume as "life".
The point being (as near as I can determine} that "spirituality" recognizes a kinship, a connection within our environment, but the "lines" are apparently arbitrary. Where might we be willing to redraw those lines?

Old 05-27-2018, 06:01 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,714,145 times
Quote:
Good topics if you want to start a different thread to continue discussion I am happy to explore these topics further. The thread I started was closed.
I wish the mods had not closed your thread. The intersections between science and spirituality are of critical importance to spirituality and religion in the modern world. It's only an annoyingly arbitrary and conventional distinction that treats the two as totally separate topics. But the conversation won't be allowed in the science forums, so that only leaves the philosophy forum - which is a perfect place for it, except that hardly anyone follows the philosophy forum, so threads started there die quickly with very little participation. If a bunch of you would follow a thread there, maybe we can make it work. But in my experience that never seems to happen.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:14 PM

21,862 posts, read 19,015,734 times
Quote:
I wish the mods had not closed your thread. The intersections between science and spirituality are of critical importance to spirituality and religion in the modern world. It's only an annoyingly arbitrary and conventional distinction that treats the two as totally separate topics. But the conversation won't be allowed in the science forums, so that only leaves the philosophy forum - which is a perfect place for it, except that hardly anyone follows the philosophy forum, so threads started there die quickly with very little participation. If a bunch of you would follow a thread there, maybe we can make it work. But in my experience that never seems to happen.
It can be in the religion and spirituality forum. Thats where it belongs. Just not in this current thread which is particular to "Crstnty"

Old 05-27-2018, 06:15 PM

I would be willing to "follow" such a thread, but the point is well worth considering that the "lines" between physics, metaphysics and spirituality are arbitrary and I'd say the only conversation would be where to draw those lines and why.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
It can be in the religion and spirituality forum. Thats where it belongs. Just not in this current thread which is particular to "Crstnty"
Where did you start the thread that got closed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality