Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2018, 10:52 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times

Advertisements

LOL. You think you're CD's schoolmarm? On top of your job of resident scold?

Old 11-02-2018, 11:24 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,565,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
just as:
atheism may be beneficial for some people but toxic for others.
he said that. But your goal seems to be promoting a false equivalency and to knock people off balance. To me anyway.

How is it helpful to teach that a person died, woke up, and flew away? How is it more helpful to teach that as literally the only way to salvation?

Old 11-02-2018, 11:42 AM

22,136 posts, read 19,195,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
he said that. But your goal seems to be promoting a false equivalency and to knock people off balance. To me anyway.

How is it helpful to teach that a person died, woke up, and flew away? How is it more helpful to teach that as literally the only way to salvation?
you think deeply into things Arach. an engineer. an intelligent person. seeks a balanced "middle of the road" view.
we look forward to hearing your responses to questions (one page back) in post #4399 and #4400

Old 11-02-2018, 01:10 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,910,926 times
"Magic thinking" from my standpoint is thinking that any religious observation, rite, ceremony or other such practice has value in itself as opposed to comfort or encouragement derived because we bring the attitude TO that practice. I.e. "baptism saves."

Old 11-02-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
"Magic thinking" from my standpoint is thinking that any religious observation, rite, ceremony or other such practice has value in itself as opposed to comfort or encouragement derived because we bring the attitude TO that practice. I.e. "baptism saves."
thats a great way of saying it. The rituals have value when we bring the attitude, or knowledge, that the practices are helping align ourselves to ourselves and those around us and, indeed, the system around us.

Thus, we can point people to a set that works for them. Weather its this or that doesn't really matter as much as the helping them.

Old 11-02-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
you think deeply into things Arach. an engineer. an intelligent person. seeks a balanced "middle of the road" view.
we look forward to hearing your responses to questions (one page back) in post #4399 and #4400
There is no magic for me, just the universe. I don't need a dude dying, waking up, and flying away nor do I need to deny everything the universe is doing just because I need revenge. Both sides have way to much hate and fear for me.

hate and fear are the mind killers.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:31 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,730,666 times
Quote:
questions for anyone:

in your own personal view-belief-opinion
which of these are "magical thinking and superstition"
[*]"visit from Jesus"

I think there was probably a real person named Jesus more or less around that time. But the Christ mythology is much larger and more ancient than the historical person. From a Jungian perspective, I can see ways in which Mythos can carry deep meaning and Truth for individuals, even if not literally accurate from a historical perspective.
[*]"visit by angels"[*]"visit by any dead person"[*]"heard a message from God"[*]God

For all of the above, my answer is that I don't know. I couldn't say with much confidence that they do exist, or that they don't exist. I am opened evidence and arguments either way. But I do feel fairly confident in saying that if any of these things do exist, then the nature of their existence is probably quite a bit different than the common interpretations found in general culture.
[*]God created the universe and everything in it

I very much doubt Divine Intelligent Design.

[*]every human has an eternal soul

Yeah, sorta, but the Eternal aspect is not personal, it's Universal. The Eternal aspect of consciousness is sorta like triangularity. Every particular triangle has triangularity - each particular triangle is an instantiation of the Universal. But I do not believe that the universal exists independent of the particulars. There are probably no conscious experiences independent of particular physically embodied experiences.

[*]reincarnation

On my theory, all of us could, in principle, have past life memories of actually being Cleopatra or Napoleon Bonaparte, etc., given the right embodied situations.

[*]prayer

BTW: I have to acknowledge that last week I had yet another situationin in which I prayed for the resolution of a seemingly impossible situation, and the situation was resolved. This feels like evidence for some sort of God, or guardian angel, or higher self type of idea. I don't really know what to think about it, metaphysically, but I'm grateful for these outcomes.

[*]placebo[*]miracle healing[*]Divine intervention[*]acupuncture[*]chi[*]there is an unseen energy that gives life and animates life

Lots of stuff going on that we don't currently understand scientifically. Most of it is probably tied to a lack of a good theory of consciousness.

Last edited by Gaylenwoof; 11-04-2018 at 07:50 AM..

Old 11-04-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
= "visit from Jesus"

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-04-2018 at 11:32 AM..

Old 11-04-2018, 12:03 PM

my point is that which MPD denounces and decries and disparages as "magic" "primitive" "superstition" "magical thinking" he also practices himself "visit from Jesus"

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-04-2018 at 12:42 PM..

Old 11-04-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
if a person feels "knocked off their balance" when they are able to hear what their statement sounds like, or the "logic" that they are using then that is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.