Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2017, 05:37 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,348,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Dear dear. If you would like to drop by A/A sometime and ask about atheists, atheism and the humanist worldview, its' aims objective and plans fo the religious sould we ever get enough political clot to make politicians court us, you might change a few ideas you have about us and also about the value of reliable data as evidence rather than theistic speculations and logical reasoning over trying to hammer square opinons into factual holes they don't fit.

You might also find that you have nothing to fear from a humanist worldview, because you live in one already.

Well, you still don't seem to be batting for him, but are arguing about the rules of the game and who should be umpire.

I would like to discuss the way the scientific method works but you can always look it up. Suffice it that relying on authorities but always revising is like knowing the geography of the world even if we haven't seen it ourselves. But where this river is sourced from or just what kinds of trees are thin that jungle or how many species of beetle there are somewhere else is always open to revision.

Science hasn't been upset since Copernicus turned the solar system inside out, and Newton is just as valid now as he was in the 17th century, despite Relativity, Quantum mechanics and Black holes.
this is just an evasion of my posts. tis ok trans these thing can get tiring cant they.

Be well my friend.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
More examples! Let's add these statements that fall in the same category:

Oh! And look who said them!
And yes I totally agree .... Very troubled mindset indeed
Tza I mentioned 2 different types, if you will, of religion. the fundamental and the militant fundamental. The militant fundamental mind set is the one that teaches we must comform or else. It is the same mind set that set the crusades in motion. so yes that type of religion sucks. IMO people should be able to worship God in whatever manner they choose and should not be strong armed into believing things.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Then why do you and Mystic keep quoting it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The Bible contains truths, Tzaph. They just need to be sussed out using the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
mystic answered your question for me

Old 07-04-2017, 07:42 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,862,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
mystic answered your question for me
AGAIN How many times is THAT?

Old 07-04-2017, 08:09 PM

21,960 posts, read 19,083,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
AGAIN How many times is THAT?
If you didn't keep talking out of both sides of your mouth we wouldn't keep asking.

"We are not followers of the bible."
"But we quote it. A lot."
"Because it contains truths."

So.......you do follow the bible.

Not all of it. Just the bits you like and pick out. Those bits that have truth for you.

There's nothing wrong with that. If that's your path then that's your path. "Take what you like and leave the rest" is certainly a strong foundation in many traditions including 12 step work and recovery.

So I'm not criticizing that. I am observing though that yes you do use the bible you do follow the bible.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-04-2017 at 09:03 PM..

Old 07-04-2017, 08:19 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,506,092 times
Quote:
If you didn't keep talking out of both sides of your mouth we wouldn't keep asking.

"We don't follow the bible."

Not all of it. Just the bits you like and pick out. Those bits are truth.
yeah, like a road map. lmao, like people born after '05 know what one is. more than one way and pick the one that works for you. There are even some very impractical ways to pick from. Like "yes, i can get to work via alaska ... see right there ... it says so!!!!"

Old 07-04-2017, 08:42 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,067,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yeah, like a road map. lmao, like people born after '05 know what one is. more than one way and pick the one that works for you. There are even some very impractical ways to pick from. Like "yes, i can get to work via alaska ... see right there ... it says so!!!!"
What's ridiculous to me are the people who say there's only one way to anywhere.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:21 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,862,979 times
Quote:

"We are not followers of the bible."

Not all of it. Just the bits you like and pick out. Those bits that have truth for you.

There's nothing wrong with that. If that's your path then that's your path. "Take what you like and leave the rest" is certainly a strong foundation in many traditions including 12 step work and recovery.

So I'm not criticizing that. I am observing though that yes you do use the bible you do follow the bible.
Ok, let's try one more time. Read carefully. The Bible is NOT our authority, and if YOU actually followed what the Bible SAYS about our "guide" it would not be yours either, but you ignore THAT part. SO what IS our authority AND the only authority promised in the Bible YOU claim to rely on? The Holy Spirit. SO what does that mean for ANY passage in the Bible? I means that any poassage is subject to confirmation by the Spirit AND that Those passages which are so approved quite often confound the prejudices and dogmas of those who claim to follow the Bible SO they may be quoited to demostrate the hypocrisy of such claims.

If YOU claim the Bible as authority, why don't you follow it and why don't you give an honesat answer to the many internal contrsadictions in it?

Old 07-05-2017, 07:03 AM

17,156 posts, read 11,336,048 times
Quote:
Ok, let's try one more time. Read carefully. The Bible is NOT our authority, and if YOU actually followed what the Bible SAYS about our "guide" it would not be yours either, but you ignore THAT part. SO what IS our authority AND the only authority promised in the Bible YOU claim to rely on? The Holy Spirit. SO what does that mean for ANY passage in the Bible? I means that any poassage is subject to confirmation by the Spirit AND that Those passages which are so approved quite often confound the prejudices and dogmas of those who claim to follow the Bible SO they may be quoited to demostrate the hypocrisy of such claims.

If YOU claim the Bible as authority, why don't you follow it and why don't you give an honesat answer to the many internal contrsadictions in it?
I admire persistence.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:34 AM

21,960 posts, read 19,083,870 times
Quote:

And you are still saying this.

"The bible is not our authority"
"But we quote it a lot"
" Because it contains truth"
"Some passages are truth some are not"
"My meeting with God matches the truth described in the bible"
"The bible which we quote a lot"
"But we don't follow the bible"
"Except for the true parts"
"Some parts are literal some parts are myth"

Your path is your path and I am not criticizing it. It is a valid path to God. I am just showing you how it sounds to readers.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-05-2017 at 07:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality