Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2017, 11:06 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
No, I don't see it as credible.

You are correct in believing that I have never seen a demonic being. I don't believe such exist. I think there are possible explanations why you have seen things that you believe are demonic, and it has to do with the idea that what you focus on is what you see/get. That's why I think the author of Phil was wise to encourage people to focus on what is good, and the psalmist, also, who kept his eyes on God.

Ps. I appreciate you clarifying your intent.

Ah, would that it were that simple. Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 11:09 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Ah, would that it were that simple. Peace
It has been that simple for me.

ETA: simple, not necessarily easy.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:35 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
Exactly which is why satanism is embraced by atheists including many atheistic groups because satanism is atheistic so not sure how you can call that christianity!
If Satanism is ever "embraced" by atheists in any way it is merely as tongue-in-cheek act of amusement. Satanism is Christian foolishness at work. To be a genuine Satanist one must actually believe in the existence of Satan. Something which Christians believe but atheists DO NOT believe. The very word a-theist means no belief in God. No God, no Satan.

For atheists, Satanism is simply another example of how foolish Christians are.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:39 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Here's a fact for you: the fact that you would take the side of someone promoting Satanism exposes what spirit you are of. Remember? The spirit ALWAYS exalts the one that sent it. Peace
Taking sides and promoting factual information instead of prejudice are two different things....fact/

Old 08-12-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Satan is a choir boy compared to the OT god.

He's been made out to be this terrible bad guy and how many people/cities/animals did he destroy?
The worst thing that Satan ever did, Biblically, was to kill Job's family. And that was done with God's approval. God on the other hand repeatedly ordered babies and children to be hacked to death with swords, and once drowned every living thing on the planet. The God of the OT is a far worse ogre than Satan.

The greatest trick that God ever pulled on humans is to convince them that He is a God of LOVE.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:56 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
If Satanism is ever "embraced" by atheists in any way it is merely as tongue-in-cheek act of amusement. Satanism is Christian foolishness at work. To be a genuine Satanist one must actually believe in the existence of Satan. Something which Christians believe but atheists DO NOT believe. The very word a-theist means no belief in God. No God, no Satan.

For atheists, Satanism is simply another example of how foolish Christians are.
I haven't looked into satanism. Apart from the standard Roman Catholic meme of a perverted reversal of Church practises, or the more WASPish view of the origin of all doubt and question it seems to be (by those who profess it) a sort of Pantheism.

As an atheist I wouldn't need to bother with this any more than an astronomer would feel the need to mug up on various brands of astrology.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
If the practices had anything to do with Satan you would have a point, but the name was just co-opted for shick value.
There is an actual church of Satan. How many of it's members actually believe in the actual existence of Satan is a good question. Like the Flat Earth society, I have always suspected that many if not most of the members are simply poking fun at society at large. It is quite obvious that many many people utterly subscribe to utter foolishness however. So perhaps the members of these organizations are actually genuine. And yet humans think that they are so intelligent.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:13 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
It uses "Satanic" in it's title, that should have been enough for you, shouldn't? Peace
There was a NHL player whose last name is Satan. Would you think he must be evil and into the occult because of his last name? I am not sure if he ever got to play for The Devils though.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:41 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
There was a NHL player whose last name is Satan. Would you think he must be evil and into the occult because of his last name? I am not sure if he ever got to play for The Devils though.

You and I both know that comparison is without merit. Peace

Old 08-12-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
Satanism is actually the only religion not into occultism. They are instead into life and morals and science instead of superstition or anything spiritual. Even Laveyan satanism is like that. But The Satanic temple is also more about compassion and science and atheism
This is a complete misuse and misunderstanding of atheism. Atheism IS NOT a faction dedicated to opposing God. Atheism rejects the existence of God in exactly the same way that you (presumably) reject the existence of Santa Claus. Not supposing that Santa exists is not the same as being a member of a faction dedicated to opposing Santa. I rather like the notion of Santa. It's just that I do not for a moment suppose that the Santa mythology has anything whatsoever to do with anything valid and true. And if God does not exist, then there can be no Satan. If the Satanic Temple people do not believe in the existence of God, then they do not genuinely believe in the existence of Satan either. They are simply using the concept of Satan for shock value. But I have no way of knowing what they genuinely believe. If they actually believe that Satan exists, they are NOT atheists.

The mythology of God depicted by the Bible is a good deal darker than the popular mythology of Santa Claus. But I do not for a moment suppose that such beings ever existed in the first place. I am not dedicated to opposing, and do not hate, an imaginary being. I DO oppose the advancement of the ancient superstitious ignorance that is represented by the Bible, however. No God... no Satan... no boogeyman. There is nothing hiding under your bed waiting to grab you. The only thing lurking in your closet is clothes. Free your mind from your ancient superstitions. The 21st century has far better explanations waiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality