Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 11:09 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
So touchy.
No. He's actually correct. You appear to be a typical Christian. You make claims and when you are called on them you fall back on... 'Hey! I'm just telling you what the Bible says'. So in fact, you are simply parroting what you have read and believe rather than being able to explain why you believe it. As Badlander said. It is simply your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 08:40 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The literal meaning of sin means "to miss the mark". So, yes, if a certain behavior is harmful to an individual or another person or society, then it is still a sin because it misses the mark.
So any behaviour that is not harmful to another person, individual or society is not a sin? Requiring gays to hide and not be able to have open and long lasting relationships like we did to them in the past would be a sin? So again if couples willingly have open marrages, sex outside those marrages would not be a sin whereas sex outside my marrage would be? And whose mark? The one in the Bible? Some guys in another holy book? My own goal have having the perfect lawn? That was just an example as otherwise I would be a great sinner however I just wish for a half decent one. I do something terrible and immoral and about to be caught so I fall on my sword. That last act would be a sin under Christianity but not in Japan and not for anyone who does not believe suicide is a sin. So what is a sin is based on one's beliefs of religion but also what is good for the society. If I was defining sin by how you explained it, racism, sex ism and opposition to ssm would be sins however many would claim that ssm itself is the sin and opposition to it is good for society.

I guess I think the concept of sin encourages the overlaying of a religious set 9f rules over a pluralistic society as the dominant religion claims the word sin as much as they claim ownership of the word marrage.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:53 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I know a woman who is a very religious Catholic. She always goes to church, didn't eat meat for lent etc. Yet she is in a sexual relationship with a married father of 3. She on the surface has no guilt about this and doesn't think of it as a sin. I am not religious myself but I was under the impression adultery is a sin. If it is a sin I suppose some religious people selectively obey some parts of the bible and not others?

Yup...that is correct.Remember just because someone goes to church and can recite the bible forwards and backwards doesn't mean a thing!! They're still human.She will have to answer to her behavior eventually just like all of us.

This lady isn't an idiot.She KNOWS what she's doing is wrong but chooses to ignore it and keep living the way she wants.I really don't know how some people can live with themselves but they manage...

Old 07-03-2017, 08:53 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
No. He's actually correct. You appear to be a typical Christian. You make claims and when you are called on them you fall back on... 'Hey! I'm just telling you what the Bible says'. So in fact, you are simply parroting what you have read and believe rather than being able to explain why you believe it. As Badlander said. It is simply your opinion.
Her support that pre marital sex harms ones future relationship is the example of two men who did not have sex with each other had a very tight bond or I guess the other one is if you want to get it off with a married woman, it is probably not a good idea to murder her husband. But nothing to support her claims.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:22 PM

810 posts, read 667,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I know a woman who is a very religious Catholic. She always goes to church, didn't eat meat for lent etc. Yet she is in a sexual relationship with a married father of 3. She on the surface has no guilt about this and doesn't think of it as a sin. I am not religious myself but I was under the impression adultery is a sin. If it is a sin I suppose some religious people selectively obey some parts of the bible and not others?
Judge lest he be judged. We are all sinners...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality