Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 06:07 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,243 times

Advertisements

Read the passage in Genesis carefully.

God told them not to eat from the fruit before they had eaten from the fruit.

If they have not eaten from the fruit, and it was actually something that could be eaten, how could they be punished for not knowing any better? But we are told that "when the women/Eve saw that the fruit was pleasing to the eye and could make one wise, she gave to her husband and ate." That's already a good/bad decision.

She "ate" before there was any fruit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 06:15 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
Eve wasn’t invented when god told Adam not to eat from the tree of smartness.

Read your bibles.

16 <<<

And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:

17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

21 <<<<

And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;

22 And the rib, which the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:42 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Since this is not Christian, per se...it is here in Religion.

What is your take on the garden, fruit, Eden story?
The word 'blame' was brought up in another thread...do you think God 'blamed'
Adam and Eve?
I don't.

I thought it was clear, (but I see, now, like mud).
Again, my take shouldn't influence the direction of this thread...I can give my take later on.

Do you think it is all metaphor? Do think it happened?
Anything goes...are you mad at God for the whole thing?

Oh, and when I say 'your take'...I didn't mean long copy/pasts of Bible verses...but I suppose that will be inevitable.
If God is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent, then God purposely created Adam and Eve to fall. It's really just that simple.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:01 PM

50,816 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
If God is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent, then God purposely created Adam and Eve to fall. It's really just that simple.
And along a similar vein, why would God have a chosen people if he created all people?

Old 01-21-2018, 10:00 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is a metaphorical story about the beginning of consciousness which is necessary to produce such stories and to know the difference between good and evil. God was never angry and we were not punished. IT was simply our first lesson in discriminating among our primal urges. IMV, the Bible chronicles our spiritual (read=conscious) evolution and understanding of God. We can view them as the lessons we needed to evolve our consciousness toward its goal as set by God. Each stage of our evolution from primitive to civilized human beings had its special character and method of instruction and motivation. The beginning of wisdom was motivated by a fear of God, but that is not what the end motivation is supposed to be. Christ revealed the true motivation - the Holy Spirit of agape love.
Quote:
Excellent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
That is a BIG if. Your view is like thinking that you produced your child for the express purpose of failing because you were trying to teach them something they did not know. We had just been created and knew nothing. The Bible stories simply chronicle our species learning experiences, period.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:46 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Yes, Mystic. That is exactly what it it is like. And that is exactly why it is impossible to believe it because no human would willingly do that, even without foreknowledge of how it would turn out.

The learning -curve theory and a crucifixion turned into an object -lesson are "just a theory" in the Creationist usage of the term, and any problems with it are just waved away and the whole thing can just be covered over so you can't see the cracks in it with a bucket of pink, sticky "Agape love".

We know the theory, we can see though it and through the lofty patronizing sneers you use to try to intimidate us into buying it, and you are flogging a truly deceased horse, old mate.

Then Eden story is an old creation myth - nothing more. And if there is a god, it is not responsible for that - Iron age Bible -writers are.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:09 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
"Pink, sticky agape love?" Are your perceptions of what concern for the well-being of others just as short sighted and stupid as those of the conservative Christians who accuse us of namby-pamby ideas?

I thought you had SOME sense.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:23 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
"Pink, sticky agape love?" Are your perceptions of what concern for the well-being of others just as short sighted and stupid as those of the conservative Christians who accuse us of namby-pamby ideas?

I thought you had SOME sense.
"Agape love" isn't "concern for the well-being of others" That is more in line with humanism. It is a vague religious faith feelgood that is, as I said poured over all the problems to cover them up. It is no more than a Faith based method of ignoring problems and dismissing doubts.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:58 PM

23,156 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
"Agape love" isn't "concern for the well-being of others" That is more in line with humanism. It is a vague religious faith feelgood that is, as I said poured over all the problems to cover them up. It is no more than a Faith based method of ignoring problems and dismissing doubts.

Awesome post, and aint it So, SO true.

Besides that, it just sounds silly, I hate that word,'' Agape,'' it's like a slang saying for ''your ok and I am ok and everything is ok,'' when everything aint ok.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:21 PM

611 posts, read 281,182 times
Quote:
Since this is not Christian, per se...it is here in Religion.

What is your take on the garden, fruit, Eden story?
The word 'blame' was brought up in another thread...do you think God 'blamed'
Adam and Eve?
I don't.

I thought it was clear, (but I see, now, like mud).
Again, my take shouldn't influence the direction of this thread...I can give my take later on.

Do you think it is all metaphor? Do think it happened?
Anything goes...are you mad at God for the whole thing?

Oh, and when I say 'your take'...I didn't mean long copy/pasts of Bible verses...but I suppose that will be inevitable.
Doesn't it tell us? The fruit of the tree of knowledge; good and evil. To not eat the fruit of wickedness in which is a seed that produced Cain and Abel. To choose the good, and reject the evil. Those apples.

God blamed? No, God couldn't stand to be around them, look at how they act in the OT and today. No good deed goes unpunished, they lie to God, they lie about God, and they saw him they murdered him, and God forgave them?

God probably blamed himself and wished he had never created them. Thank God, God is righteous...ideally or materially, I like him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality