Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 01:50 PM

63,804 posts, read 40,077,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I know what I would do.

I would go on a killing spree. No reason. Just for fun. Because I'm a closet psychopath that only remains stable because there's a God. Once I finished murdering a few babies and throw a few grenades into several kindergarten classrooms right at naptime, I'll shoplift everything I want to have and screw paying for anything.

I'll kick kittens, toss puppies, punch every WWII vet in the gut and say, "********* for your service" (though I would use a different word than "screw.")

I'd snort coke, smoke pot, do heroine, become a meth-head tweaker, drink 'till I'm drunk every night. I'd have sex with everything that moved -- yeah, even your chihuahua won't be safe around me -- and then have tons of abortions. Every time I got pregnant. Only just to be cruel, I'll wait until the third trimester to do it.

Naturally I'd party and party and party some more and pick up other women to have lesbian sex with them. I might even get married just so I can commit adultery. I'd practice witchcraft and read all the Harry Potter books, I'd tell people's futures, disrespect priests, and be rebellious toward my parents. Blaspheming would be the name of the game and I might cut my hair short, wear men's clothes, cut the tassles off my cloak, and when I'm feeling particularly evil I'll boil a goat in its own mother's milk.

Because ... isn't that what we'd ALL do if there was no God? I mean, without taking our moral guidance from an entity that commits wanton genocide, a being that doesn't have to follow any moral code that we humans would even recognize, we'd all go positively ape ... wouldn't we?

Isn't that what the fundevangelists think?
It can be useful when the unspoken presumptions behind human irrationality are laid bare ad absurdum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 02:10 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
I fear for this happening to some Christians. So many claim the only thing between their virtuous Christian life and a life of rape and murder is their fear/love of god.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:12 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
I would not change a thing. I've lived 57 years on this earth my way. I'm not God's puppet (nor is any person), so if God never existed it would not have changed a thing in my past, nor would it change my approach to the future.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:23 PM

331 posts, read 315,604 times
If it were somehow definitively proven that no God of any kind exists, that the only morality is that which humanity defines for itself and the only meaning to existence is that which humanity finds for itself, it would not affect how I live my life in the slightest apart from the fact that I wouldn't spend as much time as I now do studying theology. However, I firmly believe the human race would cease to exist within 100 years - no big deal, however, since I give it little more than that now. The human race, including that segment which calls itself Christianity, already lives as though it believes there is no God, so definitive proof would merely be the final nail in the coffin and hasten the end by a few years.

A corollary question might be, what if all history of religion and memory of God could magically be erased from the human mind and we could all start over tomorrow as tabula rasa, but with the same level of sophistication we have (or at least think we have) today? Would the notion of God ever make a return? Of course it would, overnight. In 100 years or less society would look pretty much the same as it does today.

But wait, what if we could erase all history and memory of God and inoculate people so the notion of God never returned again? What if, overnight, we could absolutely guarantee a uniformly atheistic humanity - or, if we wished, a uniformly Christian fundamentalist humanity? No difference, in 100 years or less society would look pretty much the same as it does today.

The problem, as Christianity at least recognizes, is human nature. Human nature cuts across all isms.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:30 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,074,940 times
Party at Shirina's house !!!

Old 05-25-2017, 02:48 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,699 times
Being that I experienced this in the last year, I can say that there are some minor changes. It takes time to realize them as time goes on.

Unlike some religious nuts think I did not start cheating on my wife or eating children. What did change a little is my perspective on certain issues like homosexuality, sin and how precious life(this is it) really is.

I've had to adjust to knowing that I may never see loved ones again. While I still consider homosexuality unnatural I do not consider it an abomination. I don't consider forication a bad thing, because I don't judge activities based on biblical sins. I certainly don't waste a single penny funding churches, which I now consider social clubs/cults. I no longer fear hell.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:46 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I know what I would do.

I would go on a killing spree. No reason. Just for fun. Because I'm a closet psychopath that only remains stable because there's a God. Once I finished murdering a few babies and throw a few grenades into several kindergarten classrooms right at naptime, I'll shoplift everything I want to have and screw paying for anything.

I'll kick kittens, toss puppies, punch every WWII vet in the gut and say, "********* for your service" (though I would use a different word than "screw.")

I'd snort coke, smoke pot, do heroine, become a meth-head tweaker, drink 'till I'm drunk every night. I'd have sex with everything that moved -- yeah, even your chihuahua won't be safe around me -- and then have tons of abortions. Every time I got pregnant. Only just to be cruel, I'll wait until the third trimester to do it.

Naturally I'd party and party and party some more and pick up other women to have lesbian sex with them. I might even get married just so I can commit adultery. I'd practice witchcraft and read all the Harry Potter books, I'd tell people's futures, disrespect priests, and be rebellious toward my parents. Blaspheming would be the name of the game and I might cut my hair short, wear men's clothes, cut the tassles off my cloak, and when I'm feeling particularly evil I'll boil a goat in its own mother's milk.

Because ... isn't that what we'd ALL do if there was no God? I mean, without taking our moral guidance from an entity that commits wanton genocide, a being that doesn't have to follow any moral code that we humans would even recognize, we'd all go positively ape ... wouldn't we?

Isn't that what the fundevangelists think?
Call me, I have a new sword (like the on Sonny has on OUT OF THE BADLANDS) and some sulfuric acid..

Old 05-26-2017, 08:24 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,043,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
What would or would not change for you and how you live your life if you somehow found out that, without question, no god exists?

That's an impossibility, and the reason it wouldn't change is because the changes that occurred in my life were because of His Spirit coming within me, not because of any mental idea about G-d, which are subject to change. In other words, how do you change when one part of you has BECOME Him? Peace

Old 05-26-2017, 08:37 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Same idea applies to finding out for sure there is a god without question, You can't! Unless you die and come back.
As stated before,
If a proof and/or evidence of YOUR liking was provided then you would have had no choice but to live that "fearful life".

But now, you have a choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Unless the proof that there was a God included that he wanted people to follow one specific religion I too would not change how I live. I guess I would still assume that if there was an afterlife l would be judged for it by the way I lived and treated others, animals and the Earth as opposed to which words I said about him and would look forward to getting together with all my long gone cats and dogs.

Please read above.
If the proof included the certain religion to follow then there would have had been no point in us having intelligence, and ability to research and use our logic and common sense. We will be somewhat like plants or some sort of a specie that would have had no choice, and which was based on a pre-programmed mechanical functionality with no choice and no brain of it's own.
God would have uselessly repeated this process with billions of human beings without any point.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:44 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
But now, you have a choice.
Belief is not a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality