Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2017, 02:07 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
God would know what people would consider proof. So the issue really is why doesn't God provide proof then.
If God did provide proof of his existence, would you believe it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 02:23 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
Of course I would.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:24 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Of course. I believe all things that have been proven to me, and many things that haven't been proven, but are merely very likely.

I believe Alaska exists, although I have never seen it.

I believe you exist, because it is unlikely that an AI bot was released on CD.

I believe gravity exists, because I have experienced it.

Nothing points to God in the same way though.

Last edited by fishbrains; 06-03-2017 at 03:01 PM..

Old 06-03-2017, 02:42 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Of course. I believe all things that have been proved to me, and many things that haven't been proved, but are merely very likely.

I believe Alaska exists, although I have never seen it.

I believe you exist, because it is unlikely that an AI bot was released on CD.

I believe gravity exists, because I have experienced it.

Nothing points to God in the same way though.
Good points. I would also like to point out that at one time I was a believer and when I found out those reasons were wrong I changed. There are some people on CD that say they were atheists and now they are believers. They must have gotten some proof sufficient for them to believe.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:30 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Good points. I would also like to point out that at one time I was a believer and when I found out those reasons were wrong I changed. There are some people on CD that say they were atheists and now they are believers. They must have gotten some proof sufficient for them to believe.
Thanks. I too was once a devout believer. Roman Catholic in my case. My journey to atheism began when I started to examine Christianity in order to understand the schisms that led to all of the different denominations. At first it never occurred to me that Christianity itself is a schismatic sect of judaism, but once I understood that, I felt driven to find proof for the Bible.

You can guess how that all ended. I became an atheist when I couldn't find any proof, and realized that the ultimate answer to all religious questions is "some guy said so..."

Old 06-03-2017, 05:51 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
What would or would not change for you and how you live your life if you somehow found out that, without question, no god exists?
My belief that there is no god is already justified enough to act as though there is no god, so I wouldn't change anything.

When I realized that there almost certainly was no god, I stopped going to church, started having sex, started drinking more and honestly began enjoying life more. I would say my life is a bit happier now, and I am certainly more clear-headed in my thinking. Christianity really restricts your intellectual life. You can't simply "go where the evidence takes you" because your conclusions have to jive with the claims of Christianity. That is a fearful thing for an intellectually curious person.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
My belief that there is no god is already justified enough to act as though there is no god, so I wouldn't change anything.

When I realized that there almost certainly was no god, I stopped going to church, started having sex, started drinking more and honestly began enjoying life more. I would say my life is a bit happier now, and I am certainly more clear-headed in my thinking. Christianity really restricts your intellectual life. You can't simply "go where the evidence takes you" because your conclusions have to jive with the claims of Christianity. That is a fearful thing for an intellectually curious person.
Yes God gave you free will to make those choices. God does not object to sex or drinking. It becomes a problem when we put those things above God though.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Of course I would.
That is good to hear.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:13 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Thanks. I too was once a devout believer. Roman Catholic in my case. My journey to atheism began when I started to examine Christianity in order to understand the schisms that led to all of the different denominations. At first it never occurred to me that Christianity itself is a schismatic sect of judaism, but once I understood that, I felt driven to find proof for the Bible.

You can guess how that all ended. I became an atheist when I couldn't find any proof, and realized that the ultimate answer to all religious questions is "some guy said so..."
I was born and raised Catholic. The bolded is also why I gave up on religion but not necessarily the search for a god-thing.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:21 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
Quote:
Yes God gave you free will to make those choices. God does not object to sex or drinking. It becomes a problem when we put those things above God though.
I disagree about free will -- at least in the sense you probably mean it.

Most Christians think god objects to sex outside of marriage and drinking until you get plastered. Those were the variety of vices I started enjoying when I realized there was no invisible being watching me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality