Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2017, 08:12 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
It is the behavior and attitude that is the problem (arrogance, superiority, attacking).
Just curious why you have not recognized this is exactly your behavior in this forum against anyone who is intelligent, scientifically literate or who does not believe in the unsubstantiated claims that you constantly post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 08:32 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
This is an Argument ad Populum. It doesn't matter how many people believe a thing, that doesn't make it so. The truth is independent of popularity.

That was a rather snide attitude for them to take.

I could say the same about the religious. I have been told by several believers that they pity me or that they are right and I just don't understand. I don't think that these traits are characteristics of all believers, nor are they characteristic of all non-believers. Rather, they are traits of arrogant, etc people who use religion to denigrate others. If they did not use religion, it would be something else.

Again, my experience is that people exemplify these traits independent of religion.

I also think that MLK was a great person.

A monster who diverted donations from people who needed them. She could have helped, but let people die in squalid misery when she could have alleviated their suffering.

Was she particularly religious? The fight against slavery was laudible.

No idea who this is.

There are altruistic atheists too. How about Warren Buffet and Bill Gates who are donating billions to charity?

I believe that you are being very selective in your examples and letting your biases influence your opinions.
Nothing can stand up to (cue Michael Buffer voice) THE GREAT ADDDDDDD POP-U-LUMMMMMMM!!
Certainly not things as weak and wimpy by comparison like truth and evidence.
It usually always trounces, crushes, and rolls over them like they aren't even there!
Popularity doesn't necessarily equal Truth...but it does equal MOJO....and MOJO will trounce and crush Truth almost every time.
What is it about "THE REALITY OF HOW THE WORLD REALLY IS" that some people just don't want to face up to? That they don't like the way it is? Some other issues?

Let me give you an analogy: Regardless of the fact that of all the scientific meteorological evidence and "facts" and "truth" against it...I have most people BELIEVING FOR SURE that it is going to snow 2 feet tomorrow in NY City, NY USA.
Now...how is the FACT & TRUTH that it isn't going to snow at all, let alone two feet, going to effect shovel sales if most people believe it's going to snow 2 feet anyway?
See what I mean now?

See, it doesn't matter if Theists are wrong and Atheists are right...or if Atheists are wrong and Theists are right...as respects the effect on the world that 8 to 9 out of 10 of the people that have ever lived embraced Theism!
That a small minority are NonBelievers doesn't mean squat, even if they were/are totally "right"! The FACT that the vast majority DID/DO believe is the TRUTH that matters!

Try this test: Ask Atheists to give up large percentages of their income to promote Atheism...see how you make out with that.
Or, to reeeeeeeally prove the power of Religious Belief over Nonbelief...ask Atheists to DIE in the name and honor of Atheism. You will then KNOW the REAL FACTS as to the power God-Belief has compared to Nonbelief as respects the ability to "move" people.

IT DOESN'T MATTER if the Bible/Christianity or Quran/Islam, or any other Theology etc, is "fake" or not "correct"...BILLIONS of people have and do believe it...so its great influence and effect are gonna dominate!
If you are looking for "Facts & Truth"...try THAT fact, cuz it is absolutely true.

Bill Gates & Warren Buffet are the #1 and #2 wealthiest people on Earth! They hold a personal wealth (right now in 2017) of 86 and 76 BILLION respectively.
If you hold that kind of wealth...you are NOT generous, no matter how much you have donated.
I don't see them as the wealthiest...I see them as the greediest. What are you doing with TENS OF BILLIONS while tens of thousands (mostly children) die every day because they don't have three 5 cent bowls of rice?!

Things like slamming Mother Teresa who lived right with those people she was caring for (people others would not even get anywhere near) for how much more "she could have helped"...while you give props to the "generosity" of the two people who are the #1 & #2 for how much personal wealth they hold, is the very kind of thing that not only "makes Atheists look crazy" but the reason they are are one of the "Most Hated & Least Trusted" groups there is.
You like TRUTH? Get hip to THAT truth!

Old 06-20-2017, 08:42 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Popularity doesn't necessarily equal Truth...but it does equal MOJO....and MOJO will trounce and crush Truth almost every time.
LOL but MOJO built upon lies/myths/cults/delusion/misinterpretation/cons etc. never sustains when Truth prevails.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:10 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Just curious why you have not recognized this is exactly your behavior in this forum against anyone who is intelligent, scientifically literate or who does not believe in the unsubstantiated claims that you constantly post?
I've never known a hypocrite to recognize him/herself as such.

Their vision is acute - 20/20 - when espying the faults they perceive in others.

But they are blind as bats when facing a mirror.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:12 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
LOL but MOJO built upon lies/myths/cults/delusion/misinterpretation/cons etc. never sustains when Truth prevails.
That's what I like best about "TRUTH"!- - -It is what it is, no matter if everyone knows or nobody knows. What is true, is true!
And that's the truth!

Old 06-20-2017, 09:14 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Yes I agree with you. It is the behavior and attitude that is the problem (arrogance, superiority, attacking).
Do you also agree that people who exhibit this behavior and hold these attitudes can be theists as well as atheists? In my experience I have seen both.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:19 PM

22,165 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Do you also agree that people who exhibit this behavior and hold these attitudes can be theists as well as atheists? In my experience I have seen both.
Yes I agree. They are identical in this regard.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:48 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
That's what I like best about "TRUTH"!- - -It is what it is, no matter if everyone knows or nobody knows. What is true, is true!
And that's the truth!
exactly. as you clearly know, when we deal in just how the universe works it very hard for anything but mojo to change it. sometimes word play -ers try, but it quickly becomes clear that they are just wordy mojo.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:54 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Yes I agree. They are identical in this regard.
that's it trap. All they have been saying is that you do it too. I know they are correct when then say I do it. And I am correct when I claim they certainly do it when information passes them or they know I know what they know. they actually turn violent.

fundamentalist-think is a mental state. Both sides have them, and sometimes, I myself, just have to call a spade a spade ... even when I am looking in the mirror.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:43 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
we have to be careful knowing what we know today. Remember he was the first one that saw it. yes, we, being normal, would say, maybe, but we have never heard of it before. What do we say when he begins to yell at us that we are fools? And How long do you wait before we concede he is more valid than us?
There's a fair bit of self justification of belief through likes and dislikes, impressed by these people, turned off by others. It's the rather poor rationale that I saw with Peter Hitchens, O' Hair's son, the 'atheist blogger' who went catholic. If you pay too much attention to who is yelling and who is talking reasonably, you may miss the substance of what is being said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
that's it trap. All they have been saying is that you do it too. I know they are correct when then say I do it. And I am correct when I claim they certainly do it when information passes them or they know I know what they know. they actually turn violent.

fundamentalist-think is a mental state. Both sides have them, and sometimes, I myself, just have to call a spade a spade ... even when I am looking in the mirror.
I suppose it's inevitable that any posters who find they share similar views will get together and shoot each other up to boost the confidence. I know that a bit of positive feedback will do wonders for mine

But in the end it does nothing for the argument any more than two flat earthists getting together and assuring each other that those "Roundies" are simply closed -minded, too scientological and unable to think beyond accepted textbook doctrine, does not do a thing to make a flat earth credible or a round earth untrue.

It is the argument, not he political tricks, cabal -building or glossy 'I used to be an atheist..' online adverts, that really count. or should.

Quote:
I am telling what I observed in my life growing up. That is my personal experience and what influenced me in my choices and decisions.
And thank you for sharing, but it is neither here nor there as regards what makes religious/theist belief or atheist/skeptical disbelief the better argument.

The whole idea of the thread seems to be to discredit atheism by ad hom and well -poisoning, and not by any serious critique of the rationale.

Quote:
Yes I agree with you. It is the behavior and attitude that is the problem (arrogance, superiority, attacking).
Well, there is the problem. because you tell us that is what you observed in your past life and you trot out a few people you admire who are not in fact any particular advertisement for religion, in one way or another.

And then you extend this perception of "arrogance, superiority, attacking" from then to now amongst atheists on this board. And that is not only unfair, but irrelevant, as what is said matters, not how it is said.

That being so, we have to wonder how much weight can be put on your claim of seeing that amongst atheists in your past . If the claim seems unfair and irrelevant now, why wouldn't it have been then?

Given that you are "Just telling". I am 'Just telling" that your rationale why atheism has a problem is less likely a problem that atheists have to address, dear lady, than a problem you have to address,

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 06-21-2017 at 11:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality