Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 05:50 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
Wow, the audio is crystal clear on my end. Must be a bad connection to YouTube on yours. Good you have that sarcasm thing down. I'm sure his IQ will always far exceed yours or mine. So glad your faith has been strengthened. My thoughts are that he makes some great points. Are you a fundie yourself and believe in talking snakes? Do tell.
You assume too much. Unless you think Presbyterians are fundies. My IQ is above average as is my wife's. If you were up to date on such matters IQ is so 1950s. The measurement of overall intelligence is so much more complex than an IQ test. Does a person have common sense and wisdom or the ability to assemble information. Can a person step outside of one's preconceived notions when looking at information to reach a conclusion. That video clearly shows that while the presenter might be smarter than many, he can't get past his preconceived notions.

To sum it up the presenter wants to call Christianity false and immoral so he makes up "facts" to make his points. Does a good job while preaching to the choir. What is so immoral about God sending Jesus to die for our sins?

Last edited by Mr5150; 05-29-2017 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: Spell check turned fundie into gunfire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 06:14 PM

331 posts, read 315,604 times
The American Psychological Association apparently disagrees: http://www.apa.org/monitor/2010/12/believe.aspx

Or perhaps you're a fan of Psychology Today: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...od-your-health

Or even this, from the Humanist Community at Rutgers University: NEW STUDY: PSYCHOLOGY, ATHEISM & WELL-BEING » Humanist Community at Rutgers
Dr. Galen found that unlike previous studies, the highly religious and the completely nonreligious were very similar in their mental health and general well-being. It was the religiously unsure who were at greater risk for mental health problems and reduced well-being.
This game can be played all day long. I just played it for precisely two minutes on Google, where I found the above articles on the first page of 14,500,000 results concerning "psychological benefits of religious belief."

I can find a duly licensed crackpot "expert" to uphold almost any crackpot notion I care to advance, which is why trial judges typically pay about as much attention to expert witnesses as they do to flies on the ceiling.

What you have cited is Valerie Tarico's blog. She is a virulently anti-fundamentalist crusader who believes that Jesus never existed. If a Christian had cited some analogous "authority," what do you think the reaction would have been?

Does Christian fundamentalism attract a substantial number of people who are mentally or emotionally disturbed? Absolutely. Does it exacerbate the problems of some? Of course. This is true of any fundamentalist mindset. On the other hand, I have seen Christian fundamentalism of the most extreme sort work miracles in the lives of people who were seriously disturbed or slaves to addictions.

I never quite understand the point of these exercises. They simply generate mindless cheerleading on the part of those who are inclined to cheer and angry outbursts on the part of those they seem intended to provoke. What productive purpose is served?

Old 05-29-2017, 06:43 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,043,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte74 View Post
The American Psychological Association apparently disagrees: http://www.apa.org/monitor/2010/12/believe.aspx

Or perhaps you're a fan of Psychology Today: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...od-your-health

Or even this, from the Humanist Community at Rutgers University: NEW STUDY: PSYCHOLOGY, ATHEISM & WELL-BEING » Humanist Community at Rutgers
Dr. Galen found that unlike previous studies, the highly religious and the completely nonreligious were very similar in their mental health and general well-being. It was the religiously unsure who were at greater risk for mental health problems and reduced well-being.
This game can be played all day long. I just played it for precisely two minutes on Google, where I found the above articles on the first page of 14,500,000 results concerning "psychological benefits of religious belief."

I can find a duly licensed crackpot "expert" to uphold almost any crackpot notion I care to advance, which is why trial judges typically pay about as much attention to expert witnesses as they do to flies on the ceiling.

What you have cited is Valerie Tarico's blog. She is a virulently anti-fundamentalist crusader who believes that Jesus never existed. If a Christian had cited some analogous "authority," what do you think the reaction would have been?

Does Christian fundamentalism attract a substantial number of people who are mentally or emotionally disturbed? Absolutely. Does it exacerbate the problems of some? Of course. This is true of any fundamentalist mindset. On the other hand, I have seen Christian fundamentalism of the most extreme sort work miracles in the lives of people who were seriously disturbed or slaves to addictions.

I never quite understand the point of these exercises. They simply generate mindless cheerleading on the part of those who are inclined to cheer and angry outbursts on the part of those they seem intended to provoke. What productive purpose is served?

Old 05-29-2017, 06:45 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte74 View Post

Can you explain posting this comment :Childhood brainwashing is extremely difficult to completely flush from one's systems, which one of the reasons I'm grateful for two whacked-out alcoholic parents who didn't care what I believed or didn't believe.

Here://www.city-data.com/forum/athei...rian-i-am.html

Then you come on this thread and call it crackpot. If you don't believe in it why do you spend time on a Mormon recovery site? Are you giving them the benefit of your non knowledge there as well?

What gives?

Old 05-29-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Can you explain posting this comment :Childhood brainwashing is extremely difficult to completely flush from one's systems, which one of the reasons I'm grateful for two whacked-out alcoholic parents who didn't care what I believed or didn't believe.

Here://www.city-data.com/forum/athei...rian-i-am.html

Then you come on this thread and call it crackpot. If you don't believe in it why do you spend time on a Mormon recovery site? Are you giving them the benefit of your non knowledge there as well?

What gives?
What gives indeed!
I went to your cited link. Can you explain yourself?

Why do some people on this board twist words and disrespect as if it is just OK to do so? Would this be ok on the automotive board to say "I am a Chevy guy and declare that Fords suck"?

Last edited by Mr5150; 05-29-2017 at 08:25 PM..

Old 05-29-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
What gives indeed!
I went to your cited link and found nothing to do with your allegation. Can you explain yourself?
It looks like he is saying that harmful belief systems are crackpottery and yet he acknowledges that such a thing exists. You said you read the article so I don't need to go over it, right?

Speaking of what gives, only 1 in 10000 people identifying as Christians do bad things? What gives 5150?

Old 05-29-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
What gives indeed!
I went to your cited link. Can you explain yourself?

Why do some people on this board twist words and disrespect as if it is just OK to do so? Would this be ok on the automotive board to say "I am a Chevy guy and declare that Fords suck"?
He used the term brainwashing. I quoted him. There was no twisting.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
It looks like he is saying that harmful belief systems are crackpottery and yet he acknowledges that such a thing exists. You said you read the article so I don't need to go over it, right?

Speaking of what gives, only 1 in 10000 people identifying as Christians do bad things? What gives 5150?
Read the news. Examine facts. Ok? Then let me know what you find.

3 billion people who call themselves christians. And then tally up reports of bad behavior. The math says...? And note these are only reports, not proven facts in a court of law.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
He used the term brainwashing. I quoted him. There was no twisting.
Context my friend. Context.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Context my friend. Context.
Then explain the context to me. That would be an example of "explain yourself".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality