Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2017, 03:36 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I suppose there are a myriad of reasons but I don't know what this substance is that is provided to the spirit still. Can you describe it?
what might some of those "myriad of reasons" be?

[in response to the question "Why do you think there are chaplains at hospitals, and why are their chapels? What function and purpose do you think they serve?"] What might hospitals and the medical profession and evidence based medicine recognize and value regarding a person's health and well being, that you perhaps do not?

I am asking you those questions, because exploring and considering the answers to those questions, will help provide insight regarding your inquiries about spiritual nourishment. With regards to the opening post topic, do you consider hospitals delusional? Do you consider the military delusional for having paid chaplains on staff to address the spiritual well being of the men and women in all branches of service to our country?

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-12-2017 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 04:13 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
what might some of those "myriad of reasons" be?

[in response to the question "Why do you think there are chaplains at hospitals, and why are their chapels? What function and purpose do you think they serve?"]
The only one I can think of is to reinforce the beliefs of believers, but I suppose there might be others.

Quote:
What might hospitals and the medical profession and evidence based medicine recognize and value regarding a person's health and well being, that you perhaps do not?

I am asking you those questions, because exploring and considering the answers to those questions, will help provide answers to your inquiries about spiritual nourishment.
I honestly don't know. Can you provide some insight?

Old 06-12-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
The only one I can think of is to reinforce the beliefs of believers, but I suppose there might be others.
I honestly don't know. Can you provide some insight?

the insight I can provide is that our spiritual health affects our physical and emotional well being.
Institutions such as hospitals and the military recognize this, and provide spiritual resources because they value the people they serve.

The opening post topic for discussion is that spirituality is "delusional" and should be "treated like paranoid schizophrenia." My insight is that is not an informed or accurate view.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-12-2017 at 04:45 PM..

Old 06-12-2017, 08:19 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
the insight I can provide is that our spiritual health affects our physical and emotional well being.
Institutions such as hospitals and the military recognize this, and provide spiritual resources because they value the people they serve.

The opening post topic for discussion is that spirituality is "delusional" and should be "treated like paranoid schizophrenia." My insight is that is not an informed or accurate view.
I still haven't heard a description of these "substances necessary for growth, health, and good condition." that are supposedly provided. Also, what is "spiritual health"? How is that defined and how is it achieved?

Spirituality could be delusional, if it cannot be defined and demonstrated.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I still haven't heard a description of these "substances necessary for growth, health, and good condition." that are supposedly provided. Also, what is "spiritual health"? How is that defined and how is it achieved?

Spirituality could be delusional, if it cannot be defined and demonstrated.
Are you then saying that hospitals and the military are delusional? And also their funding sources and Board of Directors and senior leadership? since they have paid chaplains on staff and chapels on site.

Here is a link to an article that addresses your inquiries and provides more information about spirit, healthcare and chaplains:

http://www.wechaplainsweb.co.uk/wp-c...healthcare.pdf

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-12-2017 at 09:17 PM..

Old 06-12-2017, 09:13 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
From this thread //www.city-data.com/forum/48322853-post1.html post 111 gave a link to this post:

I really question this sort of statement. I have a degree in Psychology and have retired from 15 years as a Social Worker who dealt with mentally ill and delusional people-note my user name and look up what 5150 refers to.

Here is a bit of insight I gained over the years. Normal is what most people are. Regardless of what a small minority might think or believe. 90%+ of people on the planet believe in the spiritual world, gods or God. To call us delusional is the same as the thinking of a mentally ill person who believes he or she is fine and everybody else is nuts. We are normal. The under 10% who think otherwise should think twice before calling us normal people delusional.

Thank You.
You are implying that normal people cannot be delusional. That isn't the case. There is nothing in the definition of "delusional" that implies it must be outside the norm.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:24 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Are you then saying that hospitals and the military are delusional? And also their funding sources and Board of Directors and senior leadership? since they have paid chaplains on staff and chapels on site.

Here is a link to an article that addresses your inquiries and provides more information about spirit, healthcare and chaplains:

http://www.wechaplainsweb.co.uk/wp-c...healthcare.pdf
In none of the hospitals I have been in, either as a patient or as a visitor, has there ever been a chaplain on staff. The hospitals usually have a small chapel. The chapel in one has a sign telling the public that no hospital funds were used to build the chapel and none are used for maintenance. One hospital has a volunteer group that cleans & furnishes the chapel. Local ministers visit the hospitals, but they are not on staff.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
In none of the hospitals I have been in, either as a patient or as a visitor, has there ever been a chaplain on staff. The hospitals usually have a small chapel. The chapel in one has a sign telling the public that no hospital funds were used to build the chapel and none are used for maintenance. One hospital has a volunteer group that cleans & furnishes the chapel. Local ministers visit the hospitals, but they are not on staff.
And regarding the opening post topic do you consider hospitals and the military and the patients, families, visitors, and soldiers they serve all delusional and in need of psychiatric treatment like paranoid schizophrenics? Because they recognize the reality that spiritual care is a valued component of a person's health and well being.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-13-2017 at 08:11 AM..

Old 06-13-2017, 08:27 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
And regarding the opening post topic do you consider hospitals and the military and the patients, families, visitors, and soldiers they serve all delusional and in need of psychiatric treatment like paranoid schizophrenics? Because they recognize the reality that spiritual care is a valued component of a person's health and well being.
I am not qualified to answer that. I have had no training in psychiatry or psychology. All I was doing was correcting your claim that hospitals have chaplains on staff.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:33 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,604,176 times
Quote:
And regarding the opening post topic do you consider hospitals and the military and the patients, families, visitors, and soldiers they serve all delusional and in need of psychiatric treatment like paranoid schizophrenics?
I am, of course, not Mensa, but I will answer you anyways.

Should the religious be admitted to psychiatric facilities for delusions?? No, of course not. At least not the vast majority. I am sure there are some who could use some help, but not necessarily because of their religion or beliefs.

However, if you go strictly by the definition, then a lot of the religious are delusional. Let's take a look, shall we?

Delusional:
1. having false or unrealistic beliefs or opinions:
2.maintaining fixed false beliefs even when confronted with facts

Now, I would contend that believing that we came from a God molding us from dirt/clay or whatever is quite unrealistic. I would also say that things like a talking snake, a worldwide flood that covered mountains, an ark that held two of every kind, the world only being 6,000 years old, etc etc, are also unrealistic beliefs or opinions. They are also all maintained when confronted with facts.

Note: I am, of course, talking about people who believe those things happened, and in this post, Bible believers in particular. I am also NOT advocating that they should seek psychiatric help, or should be forced into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality