Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 05:55 PM

19,012 posts, read 27,557,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
My response:

"I won't argue on the merits of faith, that's pointless. I went looking for your Ph.D in Psychiatry, and whaddaya know, I came up empty. But since you think you know more than actual Psychiatrists what does and does not classify as delusional, you should definitely contact them and tell them all about just how wrong they are for not classifying faith as a delusion. You probably think the same thing about trans people like myself, even though the evidence that we are not delusional is overwhelming. I'm sure they would be more than happy to hear from you. Personally, I think attempting to diagnose someone without ever meeting them or having the proper credentials should be a crime. You're probably thankful it's not! I'll tell you what though, my next appointment with my Psychiatrist and I'll ask her why faith isn't classified as a delusion, and I'll report back what she says after she stops laughing. I see one because I am trans and it is part of transition...and guess what?! If I were delusional, about anything at all, I'd be denied further treatment!! Guess what else?? I haven't been! I'm on a hormone replacement regimen and my Gynecologist has discussed GRS options with me!

My Psychiatrist has deemed me not delusional or mentally unsound in any way, shape or form. So until you show me your credentials that equal or better hers (not bloody likely), I'll stick with her opinion. "

Wonderful. Then next step to be done is to circle back with your guru, sorry, psychiatrist, and ask a simple question.
Dear professional I trust so much. Your profession is called Psychiatry. It has psyche as a root in it. This means, you are a medical (?) professional, treating psyche. He will agree.
Then please, in words clear to understand and giving no opportunity to a slightest doubt, please, explain to me, what a human psyche is.

This will be followed by a response, likely full of a lot of scientific terms, used in psychiatry, to explain HIS understanding of a THEORY he follows about what human psyche is.
As there is not a single person out there in the world, all those certified in its treatment included, that knows what psyche is. There are likely thousands and counting theories about it, but no firm definition.
No one KNOWS.
Then you here express all this trust in words of someone who treats something he does not really know what it is? To a tune of anywhere between $140 to $ few thousand an hour of "treatment"?
Seriously?
Dear geekgirl. Please, understand a simple wisdom. Truth is by no means determined by how many people believe into it. Two. Or two billion. You can believe, trust your psychaitrist all you want to. he is a charlatan. As he treats something he does not know what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 06:03 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
...snipping extraneous nonsense...
Dear geekgirl. Please, understand a simple wisdom. Truth is by no means determined by how many people believe into it. Two. Or two billion. You can believe, trust your psychaitrist all you want to. he is a charlatan. As he treats something he does not know what it is.
And by your own words you advertise your ignorance.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:17 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,842,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
And by your own words you advertise your ignorance.
No kidding.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:19 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,842,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I'm being seen (treated) for gender dysphoria. She know what it is, as do most Psychiatrists. As I've stated, it's part of the transition process.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:49 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
I'm being seen (treated) for gender dysphoria. She know what it is, as do most Psychiatrists. As I've stated, it's part of the transition process.
<mic drop>

Old 06-09-2017, 07:22 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
You do realized that this quote refers to non JWs and fallen away JWs? It may also apply to atheists and Christians in general. However, quoting the JW handbook has no bearing on what people are posting in this thread.

I never said you or any atheist are blinded by satan. And I never will. I do tire of the refusal of some to dismiss, out of hand, anything that suggests the supernatural.

Oh gosh if I had a dollar for every time someone accused me or another Christian of being a liar...
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
You win.
No he doesn't "win". For you see, we are blessed when these Religionists revile one of us, for mere suggesting a possibility of what should be done to help (although they see themselves free do damn us to hells for the rest of their eternal ignorance of our freedoms, lol). Plus, the statement quoted by the O.P. was from a fallen away Atheist and quoting a random poster (rather than any actual group's handbook) has no bearing on what group should held to blame for hurt feelings. I'm sure the person that suggested that psychologists and psychiatrists (many if not most of which are religious themselves) should treat religion as a negative/harmful delusion will eventually come back to the "good" fold and realize that a particular delusion is not a mental disease until society deems it so (usually due to not being able to contribute or some other negative social connotation).

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 06-09-2017 at 07:33 AM..

Old 06-09-2017, 07:46 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
This is the sort of supernatural stuff that the topic person finds all "DELUSIONAL"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
Imagine if you went up to a friend and had a conversation like this:

You: Hey Jane, how are you? I want to tell you about a new friend I just met. They have given me such peace in life just by meeting them.
Friend: Really? Wow, sounds great, they must be special. When did you meet this person?
You: Well actually we have never met in person.
Friend: Really? So you have never spoken over the phone or e-mailed or met in person?
You: No, not really, but I have a strong connection to this person and a relationship with them.
Friend: Wow, sounds different.
You: Yeah, it's not like other relationships people have, it's special.
Friend: So just to clarify, you have never met or spoken IN person or communicated by letter and such?
You: Nope. This relationship is so different.
Friend: (Thinking to themselves....how in the world can they think they have a relationship? They haven't even met or anything else. Seems creepy to me. I think my friend is maybe having some issues about making stuff up including so called "friendships" and "relationships". Sounds like they could use some help from somebody who works with these issues.)

Christians: You have a personal relationship with YOURSELVES and YOUR THOUGHTS. Accept this and realize the whole "personal relationship with Jesus" is not only creepy but delusional. The only so called relationship you are having is with an IDEA not a REALITY.
He is partly right, such a supernatural belief (barring a total lack of evidence to the contrary) would be a delusional belief if the person also says that this "thought"-relationship is stronger/realer than physically-real relationships, and worth more than another Christian's "personal relationship" that contradicts theirs. Of course, that is always the implication of the firmness of their faith in said believed relationship.

I've also come across many Polytheist that rely on the "personal relationship" angle as well, although they involve less blood, guilt trip, and personal immorality into the idea of the relationship being real (or realer then real, or realer than that, etc.). Both Hindus and modern Hellenists/Dodecatheists do these sort of "personal relationship" religious stirring communal and personal thought-rituals.

Delusion: an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or by rational argument.

Talk about hurt feelings. GldnRule sums it up just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Well...I can tell by your post that Christian Beliefs really bother you a lot and cause you angst.
That's a tough one...since a third of the world is Christian and it veritably permeates the planet, especially the United States, and Texas is a Poster-Child of Christianity. Unless you stay holed up in your home (don't watch television), it will be in your face, everywhere you look...a constant reminder.
Since you are, in fact, helpless and powerless to do a thing about that...I hope you are able to reconcile your negative feelings about it.
Good luck to you...you are gonna need it.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 06-09-2017 at 07:56 AM..

Old 06-09-2017, 08:25 AM

15,840 posts, read 6,306,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
No he doesn't "win". For you see, we are blessed when these Religionists revile one of us, for mere suggesting a possibility of what should be done to help (although they see themselves free do damn us to hells for the rest of their eternal ignorance of our freedoms, lol). Plus, the statement quoted by the O.P. was from a fallen away Atheist and quoting a random poster (rather than any actual group's handbook) has no bearing on what group should held to blame for hurt feelings. I'm sure the person that suggested that psychologists and psychiatrists (many if not most of which are religious themselves) should treat religion as a negative/harmful delusion will eventually come back to the "good" fold and realize that a particular delusion is not a mental disease until society deems it so (usually due to not being able to contribute or some other negative social connotation).

Shhh...xnay on the atheist handbookxay. It makes sense that people would be angry about something that's caused them pain. Anger is a stage in the healing process and it seems to me most people move past it.

That was my snarky way of saying I was bowing out of the discussion between us. I didn't see a way we would come to any kind of agreement and further discussion would be moving us further apart. He did give me a rep point for that post and a thank you so there is that.

It's awesome to see you posting. Your insight on psychology is always interesting to me. I had a transcendent experience and was getting chased around by synchronicity myself. These events and patterns are perfectly human. I remember and would never call someone delusional for it because they are not. It was recent so I was able to find info on the internet about it and correct the error before I went and built models of reality around it.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:44 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
From this thread //www.city-data.com/forum/48322853-post1.html post 111 gave a link to this post:

I really question this sort of statement. I have a degree in Psychology and have retired from 15 years as a Social Worker who dealt with mentally ill and delusional people-note my user name and look up what 5150 refers to.

Here is a bit of insight I gained over the years. Normal is what most people are. Regardless of what a small minority might think or believe. 90%+ of people on the planet believe in the spiritual world, gods or God. To call us delusional is the same as the thinking of a mentally ill person who believes he or she is fine and everybody else is nuts. We are normal. The under 10% who think otherwise should think twice before calling us normal people delusional.

Thank You.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Delusion: an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or by rational argument.

You, yourself have confirmed my point as the belief in the spiritual is generally accepted as reality. Thank you.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:57 AM

4,242 posts, read 946,547 times
Quote:
My response:

"I won't argue on the merits of faith, that's pointless. I went looking for your Ph.D in Psychiatry, and whaddaya know, I came up empty. "

First of all, the OP never claimed to have a PhD in anything. Second, psychiatrists have MDs, not PhDs, unless they have dual degrees. Third -- there really is nowhere reliable to look up whether someone has any degree. You may be able to look up someone's license, if you know the state they live in, but academic degrees can come from anywhere in the world and there's no central repository of such information, at least to my knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality