Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 05:16 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
physical health = tending to the nourishment and well being of our physical body
emotional health = tending to the nourishment and well being of our feelings and emotions
intellectual health = tending to the nourishment and well being of our thoughts and our mind
spiritual health = tending to the nourishment and well being of our spirit

In a hospital there are doctors and nurses, there are psychologists and social workers, there are physical therapists and recreational therapists, there are dietitians and occupational therapists. And there are chaplains, and a chapel.

Why do you think there are chaplains in hospitals? And a chapel?
I'm not sure I understand. To me this is only restating what I asked about. So, what do you mean by "tending to the nourishment and well being of our spirit". What's the process and the goal? I'm not sure what you mean by nourishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 05:53 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
...snip...

Placebos. She means placebos. I don't think she realizes that, but.....

After all, that is what religion is. It makes people who feel helpless, or worthless, or whatever, feel like they aren't. The same goes for people in hospitals. That is all "spiritual health" is. A placebo. Praying makes people who can't help feel like they are helping. It is all about making people not feel helpless, even though they are.
I agree with many of your posts. But here, you are denigrating the effect of placebos. They work for a significant portion of the population in a significant number of situations.

It's not religion that empowers "helpless, or worthless" people to feel like they are not.

It's belief.

Belief may be the most powerful force in the universe.

Last edited by TroutDude; 06-09-2017 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: Changed a "gives" to "empowers" because it's a better word and my inner editor insisted on it.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:53 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I agree with many of your posts. But here, you are denigrating the effect of placebos. They work for a significant portion of the population in a significant number of situations.

It's not religion that empowers "helpless, or worthless" people to feel like they are not.

It's belief.

I've read some stuff on drugs like LSD helping people who have depression. I think it's sometimes like that. Maybe the brain gets under too much stress and it just fires off a protection. It's a change in perspective that's for sure.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:04 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Exactly, my friend!

The large majority of people believing something doesn't mean it is true or rational. The religious love to lean on their crutch of "Well, the majority believe it, so it must be true!", but their thinking is deeply flawed.

Placebos. She means placebos. I don't think she realizes that, but.....

After all, that is what religion is. It makes people who feel helpless, or worthless, or whatever, feel like they aren't. The same goes for people in hospitals. That is all "spiritual health" is. A placebo. Praying makes people who can't help feel like they are helping. It is all about making people not feel helpless, even though they are.
No. That's not true, although I suppose it might possibly be for some people. Otherwise, that's a very juvenile view of what others would consider spiritual "health" or practice. It sounds as if you personally define prayer as nothing more than asking for help or for some specific action to be taken.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:09 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

It's belief.

Indeed.

But there's a downside: if a person becomes dependent on a placebo for their physical or psychological health, the truth* literally becomes a health hazard.

*for example: that it's just a sugar pill and not actually a powerful new medicine

Old 06-10-2017, 05:21 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
What the person does not realize...the person who claims those who practice religion are sick and delusional...

what that person does not realize is that it is the norm in medical practice to include spiritual health as part of a person's treatment plan. This is the norm with doctors and hospitals and the medical profession in mainstream Western medicine today. Doctors recognize and realize that spirituality is a key element in a person's health and wellness. Research based medicine supports spirituality in healthcare.
Aint that the truth, they have proven that faith is healthy, that to pray is healthy and to have some sort of guidelines in morality and ethics is extremely healthy. NO DOUBT, NO DOUBT, it may be the most important part of YOU.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:02 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Isn't it funny...I think people that only believe in what our woefully limited 5 senses
tell them...
believing there is nothing else...nothing exists that is unseen are wildly in the dark...
and are looking at existence with blinders...and are handicapped....(like in golf).

So, see, everyone has an opinion...what else is new?

Btw, I'm not much on blind faith.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:42 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Btw, I'm not much on blind faith.
Nor am I. I actually wonder where that phrase came from. Hmm maybe Hebrews 11 where it says "Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see". Well maybe not. That scripture suggests that what we believe is not based on baseless hope, but on a certainty. That certainly is from God who speaks to those who believe. And this is where the "logical and rational" arguments of the skeptics fail. They may as well argue that I cannot prove that I love my wife. And before they say "yea but I can see that person" I say sure, but you cannot prove I love that person. "Oh but we can hook you up to a brain machine and see how you react to Mrs5150". Ah, but that same brain machine shows me reacting to God in a parallel way. So either both measurements are proof or not proof off a reality. Can't say one is proof and the other is not. Sorry

Old 06-10-2017, 06:51 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Nor am I. I actually wonder where that phrase came from. Hmm maybe Hebrews 11 where it says "Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see". Well maybe not. That scripture suggests that what we believe is not based on baseless hope, but on a certainty. That certainly is from God who speaks to those who believe. And this is where the "logical and rational" arguments of the skeptics fail. They may as well argue that I cannot prove that I love my wife. And before they say "yea but I can see that person" I say sure, but you cannot prove I love that person. "Oh but we can hook you up to a brain machine and see how you react to Mrs5150". Ah, but that same brain machine shows me reacting to God in a parallel way. So either both measurements are proof or not proof off a reality. Can't say one is proof and the other is not. Sorry

Old 06-10-2017, 07:22 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Looking forward to you posting both sets of printouts verifying the similar reactions to two different stimuli as recorded by a neutral party on his/her "brain machine."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality