Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 04:57 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte74 View Post
Because I'm a helpful sort, I'm going to assist those who are hell-bent to reinvent Jesus as a warm and fuzzy big brother who pretty much just wants everyone to play nice, get along and give hugs all around.

The historical Jesus - boo! hiss! - said this (Matthew 10:34-36, NASB):[indent]"Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household.

Sounds like a horrible person. I would never accept anyone into my life who said that I must be set against my family. That's what we call an abusive relationship- trying to alienate people from their friends and family.

Good thing I'm not a Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 07:15 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
That's one of the messages in the gospels. It's dressed up to look like love for your fellow man, but in fact it's reject your father, mother, brothers and sisters if they don't belong to the cult; the cult is now your father, mother, brother and sisters. Indeed the others are now your enemies, and he is sending fire and a sword for them, and how he wishes for it. It's there: read it.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:23 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I think your first task is to show where anyone has described Jesus like that (other than you.) Otherwise, you're just arguing with yourself.
Have you been on the Christianity forum? You are constantly saying "God is love" period. While it is true that God is love, God has other attributes.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Sounds like a horrible person. I would never accept anyone into my life who said that I must be set against my family. That's what we call an abusive relationship- trying to alienate people from their friends and family.

Good thing I'm not a Christian.
You misunderstand. God isn't asking Christians to abandon family, but rather family and friends may abandon you. My wife and I have friends who were castigated by family for changing denominations.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:47 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You misunderstand. God isn't asking Christians to abandon family, but rather family and friends may abandon you. My wife and I have friends who were castigated by family for changing denominations.
Seems to me that applies more to apostates and atheists. How do you treat people who leave your church or come out as something horrible like...GAY?

Old 06-08-2017, 08:03 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
That just seems to underline the point being made; you are treated as an outsider if you just switch to a different denomination of the cult. Never mind how you treat those family and friends who were never part of it.

I don't believe that you will find atheists or agnostics doing that. We may sigh over their buying into this or that superstitious or religious claim, but they will not be treated as no longer part of the family or circle of friends. if there is a split - they are the ones who will do it.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Seems to me that applies more to apostates and atheists. How do you treat people who leave your church or come out as something horrible like...GAY?
I don't recall the latter ever happening. As far as the former, I belong to a mega-church and it happens. People in and out. Not a big deal.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That just seems to underline the point being made; you are treated as an outsider if you just switch to a different denomination of the cult. Never mind how you treat those family and friends who were never part of it.

I don't believe that you will find atheists or agnostics doing that. We may sigh over their buying into this or that superstitious or religious claim, but they will not be treated as no longer part of the family or circle of friends. if there is a split - they are the ones who will do it.
I don't necessarily buy into your last paragraph, but OK. My point was, it's usually the non-changing family member that creates the problem.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:29 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
I don't necessarily buy into your last paragraph, but OK. My point was, it's usually the non-changing family member that creates the problem.
There is a difference between having a narcissistic family member and a belief system that quotes Bible verse justifying the abuse and glorifying the abuser as a follower of Christ.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:45 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Quote:
Have you been on the Christianity forum? You are constantly saying "God is love" period. While it is true that God is love, God has other attributes.
That's because God IS love.

Jesus is not G-d.

It is only Christians who have raised him to that level, which is in disagreement with their own scriptures.

If they want an angry man-god, they can have one. Doesn't make him mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality