Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 12:31 PM

331 posts, read 315,604 times

Advertisements

Fluffy: lacking in meaning or substance; superficial

I’ve already exceeded the 200-post limit that I generally impose on myself at forums such as this, but it did occur to me how many posters are failing to grasp this central truth:

All of what I’m calling the fluffy spiritualties – including fluffy “Christianity,” of course – are premised upon us all being more kind and loving as God would like us to be. On being “good followers of Jesus,” as fluffy “Christians” would say.

But this is not what Christianity is premised upon. Christianity is premised upon us acknowledging that we are incapable – utterly incapable – of being the way that God would like us to be. For the individual, a conversion to Christianity must begin with an acknowledgment that he or she is incapable of being genuinely kind and loving.

Christianity is not premised upon acting in a certain way, in trying to be more kind and loving. It is premised upon a supernatural transformation of one’s human nature through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. To be indwelt by the Holy Spirit is what it means to be born again (or born “from above”).

This indwelling does not begin merely by asking "Hey, Holy Spirit, help me out here." It does not begin until you acknowledge your fallen nature and your inability to rise above it through your own efforts – the very antithesis of fluffy spiritualties, which are premised upon the “essential goodness” or even “innate divinity” of humans.

As Transponder astutely pointed out, fluffy spiritualties are little more than secular humanism in religious garb. When this disguised secular humanism calls itself “Christianity,” we have the ultimate irony.

Reality is on the side of Christianity, which is one of the principal reasons I’m a Christian. Notions of essential goodness and innate divinity are obvious delusions. History bears this out. The present age bears this out. Forums such as this bear it out. Fluffy spirituality, like other utopian schemes that inevitably collapse, will accomplish nothing because it cannot escape fallen human nature.

Much of what calls itself Christianity is as corrupted by human nature as is the rest of society. In the ultimate verse that the fluffies don’t want to hear, Jesus warned: “Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.” Matthew 7:13-14 (NASB).

But there are many Christians who have found the narrow way, who are indwelt by the Holy Spirit and who are being transformed. If someone wants to persist in the delusion of fluffy spirituality, there is nothing I can do about it - but the results will be predictable, and they won't be pretty.

Adherents of fluffy spirituality will respond, “Well, we simply disagree with you about human nature.” Of course you do, I understand this – but you are disagreeing not just with me but with the OT, the NT and Jesus as well, which is why it is problematical if you call yourselves “Christians.” More to the point, you are disagreeing with history and reality, which is pretty much the definition of delusional. I don’t say “Go read the Bible.” I say, “Look at yourself and the world around you – and then tell me about the essential goodness of human nature.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 12:46 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Tell us about being indwelt then.

//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...pirit-you.html

Old 06-11-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte74 View Post
Fluffy: lacking in meaning or substance; superficial

I’ve already exceeded the 200-post limit that I generally impose on myself at forums such as this, but it did occur to me how many posters are failing to grasp this central truth:

All of what I’m calling the fluffy spiritualties – including fluffy “Christianity,” of course – are premised upon us all being more kind and loving as God would like us to be. On being “good followers of Jesus,” as fluffy “Christians” would say.

But this is not what Christianity is premised upon. Christianity is premised upon us acknowledging that we are incapable – utterly incapable – of being the way that God would like us to be. For the individual, a conversion to Christianity must begin with an acknowledgment that he or she is incapable of being genuinely kind and loving.

Christianity is not premised upon acting in a certain way, in trying to be more kind and loving. It is premised upon a supernatural transformation of one’s human nature through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. To be indwelt by the Holy Spirit is what it means to be born again (or born “from above”).

This indwelling does not begin merely by asking "Hey, Holy Spirit, help me out here." It does not begin until you acknowledge your fallen nature and your inability to rise above it through your own efforts – the very antithesis of fluffy spiritualties, which are premised upon the “essential goodness” or even “innate divinity” of humans.

As Transponder astutely pointed out, fluffy spiritualties are little more than secular humanism in religious garb. When this disguised secular humanism calls itself “Christianity,” we have the ultimate irony.

Reality is on the side of Christianity, which is one of the principal reasons I’m a Christian. Notions of essential goodness and innate divinity are obvious delusions. History bears this out. The present age bears this out. Forums such as this bear it out. Fluffy spirituality, like other utopian schemes that inevitably collapse, will accomplish nothing because it cannot escape fallen human nature.

Much of what calls itself Christianity is as corrupted by human nature as is the rest of society. In the ultimate verse that the fluffies don’t want to hear, Jesus warned: “Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.” Matthew 7:13-14 (NASB).

But there are many Christians who have found the narrow way, who are indwelt by the Holy Spirit and who are being transformed. If someone wants to persist in the delusion of fluffy spirituality, there is nothing I can do about it - but the results will be predictable, and they won't be pretty.

Adherents of fluffy spirituality will respond, “Well, we simply disagree with you about human nature.” Of course you do, I understand this – but you are disagreeing not just with me but with the OT, the NT and Jesus as well, which is why it is problematical if you call yourselves “Christians.” More to the point, you are disagreeing with history and reality, which is pretty much the definition of delusional. I don’t say “Go read the Bible.” I say, “Look at yourself and the world around you – and then tell me about the essential goodness of human nature.”

Oh crap..where's 5150?

Old 06-11-2017, 02:04 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Yep. It's just liberal Christianity. All grace/no truth. They're as wrong as the Westboro Baptist group, only in the opposite direction-all truth/no grace.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Tell us about being indwelt then.

//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...pirit-you.html

Sorry, I don't do fluffy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Oh crap..where's 5150?

You needed to repeat my entire post to contribute that?

Old 06-11-2017, 02:06 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,099,244 times
Your understanding of Christianity appears to be not only very limited, but twisted via some venom. A prayer was just said for you. Get well, feel better, let go of your hate.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:06 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Yep. It's just liberal Christianity. All grace/no truth. They're as wrong as the Westboro Baptist group, only in the opposite direction-all truth/no grace.
If Troggy's claim is seconded by little jimmiej, we know it's wrong.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:32 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,018,190 times
I converted to Christians some twenty years ago and this OP sound like people outside of Christianity ..... I know Jesus Christ and when ever I get a pain or anything on my body or demonic spirit trying to confuse here then I take up the authority through Jesus and the pain is gone , like indigestion of the stomach and then after prayer the indigestion is gone , and the gas is gone or pain in the groan and the pain is gone or pain in the temple and then the pain is gone , and so one to discern every spirit ....... , Like Jesus protects here with His power of Christ , ...Were this is No fluffy spiritualities but life giving protection from the living God

Old 06-11-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
Your understanding of Christianity appears to be not only very limited, but twisted via some venom. A prayer was just said for you. Get well, feel better, let go of your hate.
Oooh, you're just so FLUFFY I could squeeze you like a big roll of Charmin! I do feel better, I do, I do!

I do find that fluffy "Christians" tend to use phrases like "twisted via some venom" rather more often than one might expect from those whose entire raison d'être is theoretically spreading the love of God, but we'll let it go. I have seen fluffies describe passages in the NT - indeed quotations attributed to Jesus - as "filled with venom."

I try to limit myself to a couple of hundred posts per forum because, as you folks are rather convincingly demonstrating, the intellectual level is approximately that of a Walmart checkout line - but there, at least, I can giggle at the tattoos and catch up with the National Enquirer.

Now come on, Troglodyte74, was that loving? Actually, it was. As I've said previously, I'm kind of a Zen Master sort of Christian. Occasionally the students get whacked upside the head, but someday they will thank me.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte74 View Post
Oooh, you're just so FLUFFY I could squeeze you like a big roll of Charmin! I do feel better, I do, I do!

I do find that fluffy "Christians" tend to use phrases like "twisted via some venom" rather more often than one might expect from those whose entire raison d'être is theoretically spreading the love of God, but we'll let it go. I have seen fluffies describe passages in the NT - indeed quotations attributed to Jesus - as "filled with venom."

I try to limit myself to a couple of hundred posts per forum because, as you folks are rather convincingly demonstrating, the intellectual level is approximately that of a Walmart checkout line - but there, at least, I can giggle at the tattoos and catch up with the National Enquirer.

Now come on, Troglodyte74, was that loving? Actually, it was. As I've said previously, I'm kind of a Zen Master sort of Christian. Occasionally the students get whacked upside the head, but someday they will thank me.

That's the trouble isn't it. Believing ourselves the teacher when in fact we are the students.

By the way Trout, the view represented by the OP is shared by the Watchtower aw well. Troggy and the Tower like the same Bible verses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality