Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 01:10 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
Look back at the previous four pages, the ratio of Buddhist quotes to non-Buddhist is very much in favor of the latter.

As for lack of discussion, am I supposed to supply the topics for discussion and the responses too?
It was merely a suggestion. if it doesn't appeal to you, that's an end of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 01:10 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,027,257 times
William Faulkner (1897-1962)

Quote:
He [the writer] must teach himself that the basest of all things is to be afraid and, teaching
himself that, forget it forever, leaving no room in his workshop for anything but the old verities
and truths of the heart, the old universal truths lacking which any story is ephemeral and doomed
— love and honor and pity and pride and compassion and sacrifice.

I believe man will not merely endure, he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he, alone
among creatures, has an inexhaustible voice but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of
compassion and sacrifice and endurance.
Nobel Prize speech, 1950.

Old 08-04-2019, 02:21 AM

I don't want to start a fight here - let Mahayana post his claims ..whatever they are...and welcome. But it just struck me that this William Faulkner looked a bit of a twit, going by his speech. So what did he get his award for? Science? Philosophy? Politics?

It was for writing novels and screenplay. So how does he work as an authority for whatever argument is being made?

This is why i had to post. What we seem to be getting is the Other side of the 'misuse of analogy' argument which I would love to see called 'Arq's fallacy' - using analogy to try to prove something rather than illustrate in a simpler analogy a known tuth that is difficult to understand.

The Heads of the coin is Pauline misuse of scripture, quotemining out of context, 'Prophecy' by fiddling the OT to fit the new or inventing the NT events to fit the OT passages (The deaths of Judas is an example of the former and John's spear -thrust appears to be an example of the latter). Paul (notably in Romans) worked out his own Doctrinal Theory and used OT passages (often out of context and misused) to support his thesis. While it might be possible that he was just using these passages to illustrate his point, I'm pretty sure that he was treating them as 'prophecy'; effectively using OT passages as evidence of what he was arguing.

Which is why we get this odd business of just lifting Anything that seems to endorse what is being argued. If it's an Authority, that's good. Einstein is the best if one can fiddle it, but a winner of a Nobel prize for piano playing will do at a pinch.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I don't want to start a fight here - let Mahayana post his claims ..whatever they are...and welcome. But it just struck me that this William Faulkner looked a bit of a twit, going by his speech. So what did he get his award for? Science? Philosophy? Politics?

It was for writing novels and screenplay. So how does he work as an authority for whatever argument is being made?

This thread I called "In Praise of Virtue". Praise is not contention or argument from authority or any other kind of dispute. Human society is always in need of Virtue, ethics & morality, especially in these times.

That was the only purpose, and I encourage others to post quotes they like, which praise virtue or ethics or morality.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:07 AM

So it's more a thread in praise of 'virtue' (which I'd agree with - from a humanist-ethical point of view) and calling for any verse (not implying any Authority) ..just praising it.

That's fine and i withdraw my objection.

In fact I'll post (from memory) a passage from one of the most impressive philosophers I know (beats a lot of the ones that roll up here talking the utterest tosh) Charles Schultz

(Shermy) "I've got this whole Santa -thing sorted out, Charlie Brown. If Santa's real, he's going to be too nice not to bring me any presents, no matter how bad i behave, right? And, if he Isn't real, I haven't lost anything, right? Right!"

(Charlie Brown): "Wrong, but I don't know where."

Old 08-06-2019, 06:33 PM

One who neglects or disregards the existence of earth, air, fire, water, and vegetation disregards his own existence which is entwined with them.

— Mahavira, Founder of Jainism

Old 10-12-2019, 10:47 AM

Genuine morality is preserved only in the school of adversity; a state of continuous prosperity may easily prove a quicksand to virtue.

Friedrich Schiller

Old 10-13-2019, 10:56 AM

For it is not Nature’s way to let good ever do harm to good; between good men and the gods exists a friendship sealed by virtue. Friendship, do I say? No, rather it is a bond of relationship and similarity, since undoubtedly a good man differs from God only in the sphere of time; he is God’s pupil and imitator, his true offspring whom that illustrious parent, no gentle trainer in virtue, rears with severity, as strict fathers do.

Seneca, On Providence

Old 10-17-2019, 03:33 PM

15,943 posts, read 7,005,856 times
"Show kindness now rather than later."
--Seen in Sikkim. Author unknown.

Old 10-26-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
If men used as much care in uprooting vices and implanting virtues as they do in discussing problems, there would not be so much evil and scandal in the world, or such laxity in religious organizations.
Imitation of Christ, Croft-Bolton translation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality