Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 11:22 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
If one does not have a belief in God, then all we are is a cosmic accident. The chemicals making up my body are no more worthy than anyone else's. So why does it matter?
Is life only worth living if your "chemicals" are more special than someone else's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 11:46 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
If one does not have a belief in God, then all we are is a cosmic accident. The chemicals making up my body are no more worthy than anyone else's. So why does it matter?
A common argument. Chemicals aside, cosmic accident aside, being worthy to be saved from death through belief in a particular thing (and let's also set aside that the more one believes without good reason, the more worthy to be saved one is) is the point here.

Aside also the absurd idea that believing nonsense is the criterion for being worthy of being given an indefinitely extended lifespan and also aside that this only seems to work if everything that makes a person a person is siphoned off and replaced by an inflatable agape -love -doll that bobs about mindlessly for eternity in a state of what is called 'Bliss' (And that aside from any consideration of the hell -belief), and what's more aside also from the probability of any afterlife there might be, from disembodied consciousness to eternal life browsing in a library of everything that ever was and ever could have been (or I'll live an eternity of frustration that we never got all Borodin's third) what in the end are you selling? A fear of death so strong that I'll believe any nonsense rather than accept that one day I won't be here?

Well, mate apart from anything of value I can leave behind, (and I already spent Trouts' and Raffs' advance on the Book, and I haven't written a damn' word yet ) there is nothing of me of particular value and I am not so arrogant as to think that I ought to be kept alive eternally, and that I believed something not only without evidence but the more in defiance of the evidence the more worthy I would be for eternal life, as the criterion for being deserving of infinite life is ludicrous in the extreme.

I don't deny that a collapse into incapacity, incoherence and even pain as part of shutting up shop, cashing in the premium bonds and handing back the ID pass is something I don't look forward to with any pleasure. But the state of actually not existing is (n.b Sam Clemens) no inconvenience. And this terror of death that causes people to delude themselves with an imaginary get out of Kufah free card earned with believing one out of a dozen foolish myths is utterly incomprehensible to me.

'Cue the "Would you dodge a bullet?' fallacy.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:54 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
......this only seems to work if everything that makes a person a person is siphoned off and replaced by an inflatable agape -love -doll that bobs about mindlessly for eternity in a state of what is called 'Bliss' ....fallacy.
STILL playing the "hippy dippy" card? When are you going to pay attention and join us in the real world?

Old 06-22-2017, 12:25 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
STILL playing the "hippy dippy" card? When are you going to pay attention and join us in the real world?
Which "real world" are you speaking of? It wouldn't be the one in which hordes of dead people come up out of their graves and wander about, and in which one such reanimated corpse flies off up into the sky and disappears into the clouds by any chance... would it? Just clarifying.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:28 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I am not stupid, and I have particular experience in translating some of the the most incomprehensible posts into something meaningful.

But I cannot get what you mean by hippy - dippy or the 'Real world'. Mystic thinks my mindset is too concrete.

The only thing I can think of is appeal to instinctive fear of death - 'Dodge the bullet fallacy'. Yes, if you don't have time to think, instinct will drive you to survive. Blame evolution.

But we do have time to think and we know that death appears on all valid evidence to be it, and not so bad when you think of what the alternatives actually look like after the first hundred trillion years - and that's only the start.

So for everyone else's benefit, what is it I am missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Which "real world" are you speaking of? It wouldn't be the one in which hordes of dead people come up out of their graves and wander about, and in which one such reanimated corpse flies off up into the sky and disappears into the clouds by any chance... would it? Just clarifying.
We shall see. A good response will be treated with respect. anything from crickets to "I'm not here to educate you" avoidance ...well, those are not possible credible options for our pal Nate now.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:43 PM

301 posts, read 295,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Is life only worth living if your "chemicals" are more special than someone else's?
True. And given that we can all trace every atom of our being to either the Big Bang, or the early starts in our universe whose fusion and subsequent explosion gave rise to complex atoms higher than lithium on the periodic table..

We are all stardust. We are all part of the universe... Man I need to make my own religion and get some quick cash.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
If I had ever indicated that such was part of my belief system you might be making sense. You've read and responded to posts of mine, pop your head loose.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
We shall see. A good response will be treated with respect. anything from crickets to "I'm not here to educate you" avoidance ...well, those are not possible credible options for our pal Nate now.
How many time do I have to tell you to pay attention to what is actually SAID instead of inserting your prejudices before the idea takes root?

Old 06-22-2017, 04:14 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
That's the question I'm asking. Is it? Is your life worth more than mine? Or mine worth more than your's?

Old 06-22-2017, 04:19 PM

331 posts, read 315,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I am surprised intelligent person like you are, Troglodyte (really? THAT name?) does not really see that humanity is CLEARLY set in a crowd/elite system. A pyramid. Elite at the top and chandala at the base. With various layers in-between.
It is SO obvious that I am not even trying to convince anyone, you have ot be dumb, blind, deaf and naive beyond any measure, to not see it. Or, do not WANT to see it.
One of the great blinds causing this is a religion. As religion is typically supporting a crowd/elite system. And, takes one's mental capacities away from being able to objectively look at reality and make unbiased judgements. Priest and politician are the same, politician is societal priest and priest is politician from religion. Their purpose is same - keep those under in bondage.
Dear OP. If you want down to a science on all this, with formulas etc, you will need to learn Russian and read on Concept of Social Security. You will find EXTENSIVE scientific analysis of what, how, when, why etc. Some works are in English... I've done my part. I pointed you in the right direction.
It appears to me that you and several others have missed the point. (BTW, my wife is Russian and I do speak Russian.) The issue is not whether humanity is divided into a hierarchy. That is indeed obvious. The issue is not whether various groups think they are the elites. They obviously do. The question is, what if this is actually, ontologically, the reality - 97% of people actually are worthless in the most fundamental, cosmic sense? The reality we inhabit actually was created for the spiritual evolution of only a tiny percentage of humanity, the true elites? Calvinistic Christianity does not attempt to place a percentage on the predestined elect, and I'm not promoting Calvinism, merely raising the issue: What if it were true that 97% of humans were, in reality, no more important than cockroaches?

I often get the feeling - and it is one reason I do not bother to engage here much - that a large number of posters really do not bother to read very carefully before responding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality