Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 04:55 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I completely disagree with the bolded.

Common sense accounts for most people not committing to Christ.

common sense would account for christ not committing to literal christ. For no christ sake I mite add.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:38 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
If we are all beings who are spirit or who have a spirit, then it doesn't matter if someone denies it or not, they're still spirit-ual.

I can spell physics and gravity works when I drop a rock. That does not make me a physicist.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:25 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
I can spell physics and gravity works when I drop a rock. That does not make me a physicist.
Nor does having a spirit or being a spirit make one a spiritist, nor a spiritualist.

But that's not the point.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Nor does having a spirit or being a spirit make one a spiritist, nor a spiritualist.
But that's not the point.
I agree that's not the point.
What is your view of the premise that "atheists are deeply spiritual"? It sounds like you agree . Because they have a spirit and their awareness of it is deeply hidden.

What is your view on those who state they are deeply spiritual but deny that spirit exists?

I'm just curious how people reconcile that.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-23-2017 at 06:47 PM..

Old 06-23-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
What is the point, in your view, of the premise that atheists are deeply spiritual? Or someone stating they are deeply spiritual but deny that spirit exists.

I said that if we are spirit, or have a spirit, then we are spiritual whether we deny the existence of spirit or not. Nothing deep about it -- just a logical conclusion, aisi.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I said that if we are spirit, or have a spirit, then we are spiritual whether we deny the existence of spirit or not. Nothing deep about it -- just a logical conclusion, aisi.
So then you agree and it is your logical view that atheists are deeply spiritual? They have a spirit and it is deeply hidden from their awareness. I just want to understand your view and state it clearly on the topic and opening post.

It sort of renders the term "spiritual " useless for conveying any meaning then. Sort of like saying "Atheists are people." Or atheists are human.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-23-2017 at 07:03 PM..

Old 06-23-2017, 06:50 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
That's what I mean by a wide range of meanings. spiritual can mean doing and feeling most of the things that are often claimed for Theists. It can mean having a spirit (whether or not we know or admit it, as you say). It can mean having idea or beliefs about this 'spirit',

As usual, just so we say what we mean by he term when we use it, then we avoid confusion.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That's what I mean by a wide range of meanings. spiritual can mean doing and feeling most of the things that are often claimed for Theists. It can mean having a spirit (whether or not we know or admit it, as you say). It can mean having idea or beliefs about this 'spirit',

As usual, just so we say what we mean by he term when we use it, then we avoid confusion.
What's your response Trans when you hear or are told "atheists are deeply spiritual"

Old 06-23-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
So then you agree and it is your logical view that atheists are deeply spiritual? They have a spirit and it is deeply hidden from their awareness. I just want to understand your view and state it clearly on the topic and opening post.

It sort of renders the term "spiritual " useless for conveying any meaning then. Sort of like saying "Atheists are people." Or atheists are human.
I don't see it as useless to acknowledge that if one believes that all are spirit or have a spirit, then we are all in the same boat. Everything we experience is spiritual, whether we recognize it in the moment or not. You, yourself, claim to believe that all are divine, so why you find this a useless thing to acknowledge is odd to me.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:15 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
I don't see it as useless to acknowledge that if one believes that all are spirit or have a spirit, then we are all in the same boat. Everything we experience is spiritual, whether we recognize it in the moment or not. You, yourself, claim to believe that all are divine, so why you find this a useless thing to acknowledge is odd to me.
I think the difficulty is that Tzaphkiel has "consciously spiritual" in mind, or the idea that "spiritual" means confronting the more difficult metaphysical questions.

$.02 toward understanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality