Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 05:47 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Trans is cool, moderate dude, easy going. I don't know who is worse, the militant Christians or the militant Atheist, I think they are in the same bed lol. When they both die on the same day and find theyselves in the same place, they still going to argue. The Atheist is gonna say,'' I thought heaven was a place where you get whatever you want and there be no chocolate ho ho's here, what kind of God has a heaven what aint got no ho ho's?'' Then the Christian gonna say,'' Shut up and eat your pop tarts and you better enjoy it while you can cause Saint Peter done made a mistake or maybe this is a stopping over point cause I know you gonna burn baby burn in hell, I will CERTAINLY be getting my ho ho's very soon.''

yup, I think they wet the same bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 11:45 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
The major notion I got out of it was sects of atheism. We have people within a group interpreting what it means to be an atheist. I like the constitution one. But protesting people that violate the constitution is not the same as anti-religion. For example, change the gay marriage law and ban all religion are a little different to me.

people don't like atheist because of what some atheists do = people don't like theist because of what some theist do
I think the operative word in your parallel is "do."

What are atheists doing as opposed to some theists?

Only a teeny-tiny percentage of atheists want to ban religion -- and that's a teeny-tiny percentage of group who, themselves, represent only a small percentage of the overall population. Which means those who want to ban religion through laws and criminal prosecution are basically irrelevant.

However, religious fundamentalists are *not* irrelevant. In fact fundamentalists have been creeping ever closer to power over the last few election cycles and, make no mistake, should one ever achieve the presidency, the laws and policies of that administration would serve *only* its fundamentalist base. Even if 95% of the country's population disagreed with a given policy enacted by a fundamentalist regime, the regime wouldn't care.

We're seeing that right now in congress -- we have a House and Senate who have completely abandoned the 70% of the population who disagree with them. They stopped listening to everyone save the members of the GOP cult.

At any rate, in almost every case, atheists want the freedom to make their own choices without having to obey ridiculous religious rules. Believers will still be free to believe -- and to practice their own lifestyles and follow their own moral compasses.

The difference between the average atheist and the average believer is that atheism isn't out to conquer and convert the world. We have a "live and let live" attitude. If, for instance, you believe gay marriage is a sin, then you have the freedom to refrain from marrying a person of the same sex. Allowing gays to marry doesn't force anyone to marry someone they don't want to marry.

The fundamentalists, on the other hand, want to deny that choice to everyone -- and they have no respect for other belief systems besides their own. They approach these problems from the standpoint that God is real; because God is real, his rules apply to everyone regardless of what you believe. Therefore we, the fundamentalists, have the God-given right to tell everyone else what they can and can't do.

As a result, these people want to make moral decisions for the entire nation -- even the entire world. As I've said before, fundamentalist Christianity is merely fundamentalist Islam's opposite number. Fundy Christians might look at Islam and rules forcing women to wear burqas -- and then turn right around and forbid Christian women from wearing pants, make-up, and their hair down.

The Christian fundamentalists are just as oppressive, discriminatory, and hateful as their ISIS counterparts. They just have a different set of draconic rules.

If these fundamentalists lived their own lives and regarded religion as a personal choice instead of a national mandate, militant atheists would cease to exist.

The result is that there aren't any meaningful parallels between atheists and fundamentalists as they work at cross purposes -- one promoting freedom and personal choice, the other trying to curtail and even eradicate it.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:34 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I think the operative word in your parallel is "do."

What are atheists doing as opposed to some theists?

Only a teeny-tiny percentage of atheists want to ban religion -- and that's a teeny-tiny percentage of group who, themselves, represent only a small percentage of the overall population. Which means those who want to ban religion through laws and criminal prosecution are basically irrelevant.

However, religious fundamentalists are *not* irrelevant. In fact fundamentalists have been creeping ever closer to power over the last few election cycles and, make no mistake, should one ever achieve the presidency, the laws and policies of that administration would serve *only* its fundamentalist base. Even if 95% of the country's population disagreed with a given policy enacted by a fundamentalist regime, the regime wouldn't care.

We're seeing that right now in congress -- we have a House and Senate who have completely abandoned the 70% of the population who disagree with them. They stopped listening to everyone save the members of the GOP cult.

At any rate, in almost every case, atheists want the freedom to make their own choices without having to obey ridiculous religious rules. Believers will still be free to believe -- and to practice their own lifestyles and follow their own moral compasses.

The difference between the average atheist and the average believer is that atheism isn't out to conquer and convert the world. We have a "live and let live" attitude. If, for instance, you believe gay marriage is a sin, then you have the freedom to refrain from marrying a person of the same sex. Allowing gays to marry doesn't force anyone to marry someone they don't want to marry.

The fundamentalists, on the other hand, want to deny that choice to everyone -- and they have no respect for other belief systems besides their own. They approach these problems from the standpoint that God is real; because God is real, his rules apply to everyone regardless of what you believe. Therefore we, the fundamentalists, have the God-given right to tell everyone else what they can and can't do.

As a result, these people want to make moral decisions for the entire nation -- even the entire world. As I've said before, fundamentalist Christianity is merely fundamentalist Islam's opposite number. Fundy Christians might look at Islam and rules forcing women to wear burqas -- and then turn right around and forbid Christian women from wearing pants, make-up, and their hair down.

The Christian fundamentalists are just as oppressive, discriminatory, and hateful as their ISIS counterparts. They just have a different set of draconic rules.

If these fundamentalists lived their own lives and regarded religion as a personal choice instead of a national mandate, militant atheists would cease to exist.

The result is that there aren't any meaningful parallels between atheists and fundamentalists as they work at cross purposes -- one promoting freedom and personal choice, the other trying to curtail and even eradicate it.
well, I would have to respectfully disagree with ya. Both groups are made up of people. Both groups do exactly what groups of people do. The smaller the group the more concentrated a personality type might be present. for good or for bad. Good cults and bad cults.

isis is not a religious problem. we took those people's hope. isis is what crawled out of the hole we dug. blaming religion will never cure that problem. "geed" is a people problem not a religion problem.

turn my kind lose shira, and don't ask what happened. You will get to keep your doors unlocked and walk wherever, whenever, you want. LGBT can do whatever they want too. "liberty for all people" is priority one. Funda/milla-mentalist think will not be allowed to infringe on people's rights. just don't demand perfection from us until you can produce it.

I mean that respectfully ...lol ... as respectfully as possible for a city boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality