Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 01:28 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times

Advertisements

Some believers insult non believers and some non believers insult believers. If you think that only your group, regardless of which one you are in, is the only one that gets insulted you are totally mistaken. If you are a more liberal believer you aRe on this forum more likely to be insulted by a more conservative theist than a non believer.

I do not hate any of the Gods that I do not believe in nor do I hate people for believing in those gods. I do oppose the forcing of your religious beliefs unto society. For example the teaching that not only do morals come from your God but that a person cannot be moral without that belief. Or that your religion should have a place in the schoolroom or in science or that you should use a religion to outcast others. The entering of a discussion about religion usually centers around that use of religion as a weapon rather than as a tool.

I do detest the actions and effects of fundamentalist: Christians, Muslims and Jews. I also do not agree with nor support those who wish to ban religions or religious beliefs.

And as said before, an atheist is someone who does not believe in any gods or goddesses, 8t does not mean the believe that God does not or cannot exist. I am unclear as to why that seems such a hard concept to grasp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 05:19 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Good one badlander and Shirina, a couple before this...the clarity and articulation is much appreciated.
You know I have exp'd God personally...but I really am turned off to concepts and blind beliefs and the shoving it down people's throats and certainly condescension of any kind...same as you not caring about believing in god or goddesses...I don't care if anyone doesn't.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:00 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
that's assuming that all the "atheists" on here are actually true atheists and are not just agnostics. I've never met an atheist that actually was a true atheist when cornered.
Personally, I consider myself atheist to claimed gods and agnostic to an unknown possible god. It would be ridiculous for me to hate a god that does not exist. What bothers me is the absurdness that theist believe an old folklore book as representing the mind of a god that does not exist.

I'm dismayed at how tradition and indoctrination has disconnected so many from reality in just this area. I liken adults to children that never stop believing in Santa. Yet, I certainly don't blame/hate Santa for this.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:46 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries
Sometimes it would seem that nonbelievers want believers to no longer believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I won't lie about it -- sometimes I do.
If only because nit would make everyone's life a damn' sight easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
You never hear in the news, "200 killed today when Atheist rebels took heavy shelling from the Agnostic stronghold in the north".
--Doug Stanhope.
You can rely on my Darwinist -religion misinformation Department to organize a global news - blanket .

Old 07-09-2017, 12:48 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,039,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Question:
What is misotheism? What is a misotheist?

Answer: "Misotheists are those who express misotheism, a dislike/hatred of God. The prefix mis- often refers to hatred or loathing. So, a misotheist despises God or religion in general, as a misanthropist (or misanthrope) hates mankind and a misogynist loathes women.

"Part of what makes the term misotheism interesting is that it denotes an attitude more than any particular belief. It’s possible to be an atheist or agnostic and not be considered a misotheist. One can deny God’s existence without harboring an active loathing of God."

It would seem that one could not be an atheist AND a misotheist, because misotheism implies a belief in God.

Please read the article for more.

Interesting. Never heard the word before, but definitely have met it's "children". Peace

Old 07-11-2017, 06:27 PM

678 posts, read 429,079 times
If I'm a gay* and you hate or hurt me because of your God, I have every right to hate your God.

* gay, or atheist, liberal, conservative, Christian, Muslim, etc, etc.

It's helpful looking at things from angles other your own sometimes.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:37 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
If I'm a gay* and you hate or hurt me because of your God, I have every right to hate your God.

True.

Even as a kid, I would often lie down on the floor of the kitchen or living room, or stand on a chair, or sit in a corner (facing out!) and take pleasure in the change of perspectives. And learn things in the process.

Perspective is everything - said somebody smart.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:55 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
True.

Even as a kid, I would often lie down on the floor of the kitchen or living room, or stand on a chair, or sit in a corner (facing out!) and take pleasure in the change of perspectives. And learn things in the process.

Perspective is everything - said somebody smart.
I used to sit upside down on a couch or chair with my head hanging down to visit the world where the ceiling was the floor and the floor the ceiling...and sometimes I still do.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:04 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I used to sit upside down on a couch or chair with my head hanging down to visit the world where the ceiling was the floor and the floor the ceiling...and sometimes I still do.
Here's a cool thought: from the perspective of someone living in Australia right now, you are "upside down" right now.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:07 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post

no, you have a right to dislike the person doing it. God had nothing to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality