Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 05:33 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,306,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Question:
What is misotheism? What is a misotheist?

Answer: "Misotheists are those who express misotheism, a dislike/hatred of God. The prefix mis- often refers to hatred or loathing. So, a misotheist despises God or religion in general, as a misanthropist (or misanthrope) hates mankind and a misogynist loathes women.

"Part of what makes the term misotheism interesting is that it denotes an attitude more than any particular belief. It’s possible to be an atheist or agnostic and not be considered a misotheist. One can deny God’s existence without harboring an active loathing of God."

It would seem that one could not be an atheist AND a misotheist, because misotheism implies a belief in God.

Please read the article for more.
More labels.

Today, misotheism is frequently seen in the work of comedians such as Bill Maher and Ricky Gervais and lesser-known scientists such as Lawrence Krauss. The public work of Neil DeGrasse Tyson, including the recent Cosmos television series, is misotheistic in that it presents religion in error-filled, unfair, and misleading ways. Not all unbelievers are antitheists or misotheists, of course. But misotheism is well illustrated by the bigoted approach taken by these figures.

So Neil DeGrasse Tyson fits the definition of a misotheist (despises God or religion in general).

Show me ANYTHING that Degrasse has said that shows he despises God.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzSMC5rWvos

Edit:

JimmyJ quotes this site often so i have become familiar with it. I'm assuming (correct me if I'm wrong) this is where Baptists get their information from. (also from JimmyJ stating that all Baptist believe the same thing...so do all JW's Jimmy so yo're in good company there). Twice already it's accuracy has been called into question with it's treatment of 'liberal" Christians and it's definition of atheism.

So According to this site, Neil DeGrasse Tyson s a God mocker headed for hell unless he repents and let's just see what the Baptist believe (correct me if I'm wrong) about the KKK

The largest KKK-affiliated group today, the Knight’s Party, clearly promotes some themes that would seem to be in line with evangelical Christianity. Their Annual Faith and Freedom Conference is held at Soldiers of the Cross Bible Camp and is billed as “3 Family-Friendly Days.” Activities include Bible studies and gospel music concerts. Guests at the camp are expected to exhibit “Christian behavior.”

The Knights Party website also states that they want to extend the blessings of Christianity to all, regardless of color or race. The Knights require all members to “profess a belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.” The group is pro-life, supports traditional marriage, and promotes home schooling.

https://www.gotquestions.org/KKK-Christian.html

Wow! Let me check the year.

Last edited by L8Gr8Apost8; 06-29-2017 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: edit to add more Baptist spiritual nourishment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 05:49 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
More labels.

Today, misotheism is frequently seen in the work of comedians such as Bill Maher and Ricky Gervais and lesser-known scientists such as Lawrence Krauss. The public work of Neil DeGrasse Tyson, including the recent Cosmos television series, is misotheistic in that it presents religion in error-filled, unfair, and misleading ways. Not all unbelievers are antitheists or misotheists, of course. But misotheism is well illustrated by the bigoted approach taken by these figures.

So Neil DeGrasse Tyson fits the definition of a misotheist (despises God or religion in general).

[youtube
httpm/watch?v=CzSMvos
I love neil. he understands how science works. He understand we use what we know to describe what we don't know. Within limits that is. he understand that a statement of belief about a god (+or-) does not determine how the universe works.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:21 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
that's assuming that all the "atheists" on here are actually true atheists and are not just agnostics. I've never met an atheist that actually was a true atheist when cornered.
This is because believers have bestowed upon themselves the right to define atheist in a way that suits their purposes. The word a-theist literally means to be without theology. A true atheist has no belief in God. Believers however have bestowed upon themselves the right to define atheists as someone who BELIEVES there is no God. There is a significant difference from not believing in God, and believing there IS no God. Believers like to split non believers into two groups, those who do not profess to know whether there is or is not a God, which they call agnostics, and those who claim to KNOW there is no God. Atheists.

Anyone who claims to know ANYTHING to the exclusion of all contrary possibility is flatly an idiot. Humans simply do not have such a superpower.

I am as "true" an atheist as anyone you are ever likely to meet. Do I "know" that there is no God? Of course not! How could I, a mortal human, possess such absolute knowledge? Do I "believe" there is no God. NO! I don't believe in God. I don't believe there is no Santa either! Rather, I don't believe in Santa. Lack of belief IS NOT a belief system. It is the antithesis of a belief system.

For practical purposes, atheists and agnostics break into two groups along these guidelines. Agnostics do not subscribe to religious beliefs in exactly the same way that they do not subscribe to a belief in Santa Claus, and they don't feel the need to explain their conclusions to anyone else. Atheists are the ones who are willing to stand there and give you an argument.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:49 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
More labels.

But don't you see?

After inventing 'misotheism' and defining it as hatred of one sort or another, they're already moving the goalposts and declaring that any unbeliever who believers see as being 'unfair' is a 'misotheist' - one who hates theism and/or theists.

That didn't take long, did it?

"If God is all-loving why did he flood--"
"Unfair! You're a misotheist!"

They're just playing games. And their target audience - which isn't us, but the we-Christians-are-so-oppressed! crowd sitting in the pews - will probably pull many neck muscles furiously nodded in fervent agreement.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:52 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
More labels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzSMC5rWvos

Edit:

JimmyJ quotes this site often so i have become familiar with it. I'm assuming (correct me if I'm wrong) this is where Baptists get their information from. (also from JimmyJ stating that all Baptist believe the same thing...so do all JW's Jimmy so yo're in good company there). Twice already it's accuracy has been called into question with it's treatment of 'liberal" Christians and it's definition of atheism.

So According to this site, Neil DeGrasse Tyson s a God mocker headed for hell unless he repents and let's just see what the Baptist believe (correct me if I'm wrong) about the KKK

The largest KKK-affiliated group today, the Knight’s Party, clearly promotes some themes that would seem to be in line with evangelical Christianity. Their Annual Faith and Freedom Conference is held at Soldiers of the Cross Bible Camp and is billed as “3 Family-Friendly Days.†Activities include Bible studies and gospel music concerts. Guests at the camp are expected to exhibit “Christian behavior.â€

The Knights Party website also states that they want to extend the blessings of Christianity to all, regardless of color or race. The Knights require all members to “profess a belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.†The group is pro-life, supports traditional marriage, and promotes home schooling.

https://www.gotquestions.org/KKK-Christian.html

Wow! Let me check the year.
I use gotquestions-I don't know about my fellow Baptists.

Not one liberal elected to show me an example of what was wrong about their defintion.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I use gotquestions-I don't know about my fellow Baptists.

Not one liberal elected to show me an example of what was wrong about their defintion.
So who runs gotquestions?

I'm not a libreal Christian but I'll look it over and answer the best I can. It was wrong on it's definition of atheists. I hope you watched that clip of Degrasse. He doesn't get activism, doesn't care for it or about it, and has better things to do (he really does). Just be nature of him being a scientist is what got the label slapped on it.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:21 PM

Right off the bat they lead with this:
In liberal Christian teaching, which is not Christian at all, man’s reason is stressed and is treated as the final authority. Liberal theologians seek to reconcile Christianity with secular science and modern thinking. In doing so, they treat science as all-knowing and the Bible as fable-laden and false.

Matthew 18:20
19Again, I tell you truly that if two of you on the earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by My Father in heaven. 20For where two or three gather together in My name, there am I with them.”

They, with as much sincerity as you, refer to themselves as Christians. Therefore they are entitled to refer to themselves as Christians. It's not up to a website to name who is and who isn't. Unless your God refrain from judging who is and who isn't. It's way way way above your paygrade.

I highly doubt they treat science as all knowing and the Bible as false. Anyone who says science is all knowing doesn't science...EVER.

I don't know what they believe about Jesus but this seems highly suspect to me:

2) The virgin birth of Christ is a mythological false teaching. This directly contradicts Isaiah 7:14 and Luke 2.

3) Jesus did not rise again from the grave in bodily form. This contradicts the resurrection accounts in all four Gospels and the entire New Testament.

https://www.gotquestions.org/liberal...-theology.html

Old 06-29-2017, 08:36 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Misotheist is a great word. I am an atheist but certainly not a misotheist. I don't hate god, as I cannot see the point in hating a non-existent entity. It would be a lot like hating Darth Vader. Neither is a particularly likeable character, but I don't hate either.

Quote:
that's assuming that all the "atheists" on here are actually true atheists and are not just agnostics. I've never met an atheist that actually was a true atheist when cornered.
Interesting. I suspect you haven't spoken to many atheists. I would happily discuss the issue with you if you like, and you can see how I respond if and/or when you corner me. Probably best in a separate thread. Are you willing to participate?

Old 06-29-2017, 08:39 PM

I'm down for a cornering as well.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:54 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
In other words you hate all that disagree with you, regardless of their motive for disagreement. You can't imagine someone actually having a valid reason to disagree with you and you make assumptions regarding their motivation.
LOL!

Another Christian who thinks he can define atheism by completely ignoring what actual atheists have to say.

TroutDude expressly stated that he saves his hate for fundamentalists and Biblical literalists -- and you quickly turn this into accusing TroutDude of hating all ...

ALL

ALL

ALL!!!

... all people that disagree with him.

Yep, every last person who ever disagreed with TroutDude about ANYTHING count among those TroutDude hates.

Are you familiar with the term hypobolic?

More importantly, are you familiar with actual reading comprehension?

TroutDude was VERY specific in who he says he hates, but that's not what you want atheists to be like (and TroutDude isn't even an atheist), so, you quaintly use the term "in other words" and claim TroutDude hates everyone who disagrees with him.

Well, guess what ... when you have to use the phrase "in other words" when quoting someone else, it means you're using words YOU want to use, not the words actually written by the original author.

Talk about intellectual dishonesty.

You should start begging for forgiveness now while you still have the chance -- because bearing false witness against thy neighbor, which is what you did to TroutDude, is a big, fat sin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality