Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 01:46 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Oh, indeed.

The law even allows an LGBTQ person to discriminate against another LGBTQ person. Not that one would, so that's a moot point.

Similarly, none of this changes the fact that the law, while taking care to present itself as concerned with 'convictions', is expressly intended as a vehicle for professionals with anti-gay animus to discriminate against gays. I have no doubt that the cesspool of people who dislike gays includes some atheists with postgraduate degrees. I also have no doubt that the incidence of such attributes - atheist+physician+anti-gay - is extremely small, because every study shows that anti-gay correlates strongly with both religiosity and a lack of education.

The OP clearly thought s/he had chanced up a glorious example of atheists getting a law passed that would allow them to manifest their barely-tamped anti-gay impulses. It is nothing of the sort. It is an act intended to allow and even encourage discrimination by medical professionals against gays, and it was written by people who went to law school and know that they only chance they have of having this law pass constitutional muster (specifically, to avoid it running afoul of the Establishment Clause) is to write it in such a way that it allows for anti-gay 'convictions' even among the non-religious.

It's like saying about the First Amendment:
"Amendment makes it legal for neo-Nazis to spew their hate-filled rhetoric in public!"

Very true. And not at all the point.
Point MISSED...it is irrelevant if the injured is LGBT,but that ANYONE can refuse service to ANYONE based on a religious belief.

Doctor refuses treatment of same-sex couple's baby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 01:58 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
This is just dumbstuff, concocted to antagonize and mock.
But...for the those that do not understand what the difference would be.
Religions have doctrines, "rules" so to speak, that are given through the theological writings.
The Constitution of the U.S. provides for the "free exercise" of Religion. It is even known as a "right".
The Atheists claim that Atheism is not a Religion (even though many practice it as one) and is typically claimed to be merely a "lack of belief" in Gods and Religions.
There is no legal provision for the free exercise of your personal opinions.
Religious concepts, doctrines, and edicts are supplied outside of the person, through the canon.
Atheism, being essentially a substitute of "nothing" in place of commandments, doctrine, and laws....thus provides no basis to do (or refuse to do) anything based upon it.
It is the difference between acting (or not acting) based upon something...as opposed to having nothing you can point to (outside of yourself) that you are basing action or inaction off of.
I doubt that anyone would credit that lot for a moment, other than atheist - haters who don't care what is posted so long as it bashes atheists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Point MISSED...it is irrelevant if the injured is LGBT,but that ANYONE can refuse service to ANYONE based on a religious belief.

Doctor refuses treatment of same-sex couple's baby
I'm not sure whether that is a legal right. I suspect it may be a compromise that individuals can be excused marriyng Gays, serving bacon or selling the pill - if someone else is there to do it. The organization itself cannot discriminate. Now, if there are dangers involved, that is another matter, but if it's just religious restrictions involved, if they compromise the organization and put it in contravention of the law, that person can be sacked and replaced by someone who will do the job.

And they can scream persecution as much as they like. Nobody but religious frauds, bigots and loonies will sympathize with them.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-02-2017 at 02:26 PM..

Old 07-02-2017, 04:54 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I doubt that anyone would credit that lot for a moment, other than atheist - haters who don't care what is posted so long as it bashes atheists.
I know the views and perceptions held by most of the people that have ever lived over the last couple thousand years, predicated upon some theological doctrine that they use to establishe the parameters of what is and isn't "moral" or "good" to do, bothers you and is something you can't stand. But...that is just how this world is...and you will do nothing to change it.
It has nothing to do with "Atheist Hating"...it is about some Atheists hating that Religion influences the moral views of most people, to the point that it drives those Atheists absolutely Cray-Cray!
Guess what most think of a blight on society like me? Forget not helping me medically...many think it would be a *good* thing for the world if I was dead. And, ya know...now that my parents have passed, they are probably right about that. But, who knows...I may reform in my old age.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:26 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Why would anyone who takes the Hippocratic Oath refuse to treat someone who needs it?

Old 07-02-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Why would anyone who takes the Hippocratic Oath refuse to treat someone who needs it?
Religious commands trump everything, Hippocratic oath, law, even common decency.

Mid, I don't think the Hippocratic oath requires that a doctor put themselves in harm's way to save life, but they often do. It's one of the more positive aspects of human nature.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I know the views and perceptions held by most of the people that have ever lived over the last couple thousand years, predicated upon some theological doctrine that they use to establishe the parameters of what is and isn't "moral" or "good" to do, bothers you and is something you can't stand. But...that is just how this world is...and you will do nothing to change it.
It has nothing to do with "Atheist Hating"...it is about some Atheists hating that Religion influences the moral views of most people, to the point that it drives those Atheists absolutely Cray-Cray!
Guess what most think of a blight on society like me? Forget not helping me medically...many think it would be a *good* thing for the world if I was dead. And, ya know...now that my parents have passed, they are probably right about that. But, who knows...I may reform in my old age.
The "the views and perceptions held by most of the people that have ever lived over the last couple thousand years, predicated upon some theological doctrine that they use to establish the parameters of what is and isn't "moral" or "good"" are demonstrably not the way people generally do morality - not even fundamentalists - not even you, old son. Though they do get uptight about this or that particular change in something they were used to and make Religion a pretext for fighting it.

And it isn't atheist hating as such - atheist -hating is just part of it. And I'm sorry if things don't hang well with you. A lot of the way the world is doesn't hang well with me, either. But a great deal of it does and I'm thankful for that. You might try being thankful some time.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:41 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
The "the views and perceptions held by most of the people that have ever lived over the last couple thousand years, predicated upon some theological doctrine that they use to establish the parameters of what is and isn't "moral" or "good"" are demonstrably not the way people generally do morality - not even fundamentalists - not even you, old son. Though they do get uptight about this or that particular change in something they were used to and make Religion a pretext for fighting it.

And it isn't atheist hating as such - atheist -hating is just part of it. And I'm sorry if things don't hang well with you. A lot of the way the world is doesn't hang well with me, either. But a great deal of it does and I'm thankful for that. You might try being thankful some time.
Religious Doctrine could almost be considered a "Human Standard" as a "moral arbiter" and basis.

I am thankful. Especially as a Pantheist.
I give thanks to God (The Universe)...revere it, even.
Of course, there are things that don't hang well with me, that I don't prefer. But I realize that's just how life is. Oh, well.
I sure can't complain...I have had a great life, overall...right from get go. Great Parents, great family and friends, never wanted for anything material (so much of an abundance, I've given most of it away, and still have too much), super health (can't even remember so much as a sniffle or headache), and happy most all the time. I wish everyone had it as good as I have.
And that is what "doesn't hang well with me"...that many don't have it like I do. And I point out what I see is obvious angst others have over what doesn't hang well with them.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:12 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
I know of 2 cardiac surgeons who got AIDS from cuts from the bones of AIDS patient's chests they cut into, and a dentist who contracted it as well, also through "routine" service of his profession. I imagine some in healthcare professions have been daunted and reticent at least in their jobs of providing certain types of care for people, although I'm not saying it's morally the right thing to do. But some understanding of their side of it goes a long way in comprehending their reservations or refusals, even if "religious" reasons are used.

I did private duty care for awhile for an AIDS patient, but there a lot more who turned it down, than accepted it, because of fear of contraction, rather than because of their lifestyle. Peace

Opps...sorry guys, I only read the OP before posting.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
That makes perfect sense.

I just changed my mind. I would refuse care to gays if I were a doctor.
Rbbi1 mentions 2 surgeons who contracted AIDS from AIDS patients - not gays.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Rbbi1 mentions 2 surgeons who contracted AIDS from AIDS patients - not gays.
Yes. We sometimes forget that it isn't (now) just a gay -related disease.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:20 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
“No, no, no. This isn’t the point of the law at all,” said an angry senator Frank Danforth (R). “The law is supposed to protect doctors and nurses who follow the teachings of God and our Lord Jesus Christ from having to treat patients who practice an unholy lifestyle.”

I'm sure most of you by now know this is a satirical article. I read the above quote and damn near went through the roof until I thought -- this seems rather extreme even for a GOP senator.

Fortunately, I saw that this is a satire news site. Whew.

No sense in debating it, really, since it isn't true. All we'd do is throw accusations at each other over something that hasn't -- and likely will never -- happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality