Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 12:27 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
How many parsecs does it take you to make the Kessel run?

12 Seconds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 12:36 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Troop, if this is as open and shut as you seem to imply how do you explain the Horizon Problem, Tetraneutrons, and Dark Energy?

All this is discussed here 13 things that do not make sense - space - 19 March 2005 - New Scientist Space

Also other things here Top Ten Problems with the Big Bang

Did someone in church or from the pulpit teach you that the Big Bang is anti-Biblical?

Do you understand the notion in science of "the preponderance of the evidence"?

Old 03-11-2008, 12:49 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Why 206264.806 of course!

Actually... I cheated... I can't remember that stuff either! Although I think I still remember what a mole is from chemistry... 6.02 x 10(23) - Where twenty-three is the exponent....
Ah good ol' Avogadro and his constant.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Ah good ol' Avogadro and his constant.
Avogadro! That's the name! Geez... speaking of forgetting things...

Old 03-11-2008, 01:01 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,093 times
Quote:
Avogadro! That's the name! Geez... speaking of forgetting things...
Yep! And he invented guacamole too.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Yep! And he invented guacamole too.
Smart guy that Avocado! Hahahahaa

Old 03-11-2008, 01:24 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Alpha, of these I know several answers to them. There are others that are a bit more perplexing and less understood. However, a lot of these don't really take away much from the Big Bang at all they just sort of miff scientists as to how certain things work in relation to it. So... with that being said... allow me to address the Dark Energy, Tetraneutrons, and the Horizon Problem that you asked about. If there is something else out there you'd like me to respond to I will but I do like to do a bit of research so don't inundate me with a thousand different topics. One at a time, ok? I think I may reiterate this but just because we are not entirely certain of certain areas of cosmological science does not mean that the Big Bang did not happen and I know you weren't implying otherwise. Initially, the reason why I responded to the thread as I did was because the author implied that there was insufficient evidence for the Big Bang, when in fact, there's a TON of it. However, as with all things in science, it is entirely possible that the Big Bang model could be wrong. That is a possibility. However, for the time being, all evidence points to a Big Bang and the evidence is stupendously overwhelming. Are there some pesky issues that need to be explained? Sure. But they don't override the theory and most of what has been found (usually on accident) has gone along with the Big Bang Theory.

Dark Energy- I'm assuming you are referring to the website you linked in regards to dark energy and not, in fact, dark matter, correct? Because the two have more or less different explanations. When they talk about dark energy, they are referring to the fact that the universe seems to be expanding at a faster rate (it's accelerating-yet uniformly). Now, because we have not observed Dark Energy (or Dark Matter either) we cannot really be sure of its' existence but we do know there is some sort of force seemingly causing it to expand. What's important to recognize when discussing Dark Energy is that whatever we do find (if we do find it) it will more than likely add to the Big Bang Theory than refute it just as almost every other discovery has done.

However, here are some interesting links that look very interesting in regards to dark matter. I haven't read them yet so I really don't know all of the details but they do look quite fun

http://plasmascience.net/tpu/downloa...att86TPS-I.pdf
http://plasmascience.net/tpu/downloa...tt86TPS-II.pdf

Horizon Problem- The Horizon Problem was, to my knowledge, seemingly solved with the inflation theory. Hmmm.... I'm trying to think of a good way to put this because it deals with phase transitions to explain the symmetry of things... This website In the Beginning
uses water to ice and I suppose that that will have to do to try and explain this. I've also heard a water to ice explanation before so allow me to try and recant.

When we talk about a 'phase transition' we are talking about things in classical terms such as water (a liquid) turning into ice (a solid). That's a phase transition. Now, when we talk about the universe, we have to remember we're talking about a grand scale of things such as the strong nuclear force changing. So, let's try to keep this in the frame of mind of a glass of water but let's not forget we are trying to encompass the universe in its' infant stages.

If we have an ice cube, a solid, believe it or not, we are actually in a more high entropical state (low order) than we would be if it were in a liquid or gas state. The way the molecules arrange themselves throughout the cube when it is a solid are actually more disordered (yes-even though they are more compact and tightly held together) than when it is in some sort of gaseous state. With that in mind, if we were to take our ice cube and slowly heat it past 0 degrees C, the molecules would actually become more ordered as the ice melted. Now, if we kept increasing the temperature of the water, not much would happen for a while. We can break it through the 10 C barrier, 20 C barrier, 30 C barrier, and so on and so forth until we reach 100 C. When we hit 100 C, we encounter another phase transition of the liquid turning into a gaseous steam. That's right, and in that steam form we actually have our molecules in an ideal state. Of course, once the steam cools, it turns back into a liquid causing a bit more disorder and will remain so until the temperature re-cools below 0 C in which the water then turns to ice.

Ok, all of that is a phase transition. Yes, I'm sure you knew how water turned into ice or steam but it's important to kind of visualize the semi-rapid change of temperature in which we look at the water and how it applies to the Big Bang. What happened with our universe at a certain temperature (very hot ) was the strong nuclear force actually became sort of wacky for the time being. It actually interrupted the symmetry of things for the time being much in the way that melting an ice cube interrupts the symmetry of the cube itself. Does that make sense?

Now, there are other explanations out there that I am aware of (I think a Higgs' Field is another one) but to my knowledge, while there is a lot of support for the theory it isn't proven to the point where we can merit it as a scientific fact yet. Here's a link to a Higgs' Field which also goes into bosons. Higgs boson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ok... so... I hoped I answered your question in regards to the horizon problem??? I'll move on to the tetraneutrons and I'll be honest, I am on shaky ground here as I don't know much about them.

Tetraneutrons- As far as I know, a tetraneutron has not been discovered in full except one time in one lab and has never been duplicated again.... It would be amazing to find such a thing because it would mean that it violates some of the laws of the strong nuclear force. That's all I really have to say about that... to my knowledge, tetraneutrons are a bit of science fiction much in the same way that cold fusion is. It doesn't mean it can't or won't happen, I just don't think there's evidence for it at the current time. As far as what implications that might have for the Big Bang?? I really don't see how it could or would.

Tetraneutron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for taking the time to do that, Troop.

My point is that sometimes I don't understand what makes people accept certain things but reject others and there is some 'issues' with the Big Bang that have absolutely nothing to do with religion.

I personally believe in a 'Big Bang' of sorts, just what it included and what caused the 'bang' I'm sure we disagree on.

It's kinda like evolution for me, I totally believe in it to a point, but the totality of what most scientists want me to swallow on Evolution and 'Big Bang' is just more than I can stomach.

i.e. mutations and adaptations are easily observed but Darwin's finches are, always have been, and always will be finches; A huge bang with no 'Cause' just doesn't seem possible and creation by explosion isn't something I can wrap my mind around without an Intervention from some Other Source.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to do that, Troop.

My point is that sometimes I don't understand what makes people accept certain things but reject others and there is some 'issues' with the Big Bang that have absolutely nothing to do with religion.

I personally believe in a 'Big Bang' of sorts, just what it included and what caused the 'bang' I'm sure we disagree on.

It's kinda like evolution for me, I totally believe in it to a point, but the totality of what most scientists want me to swallow on Evolution and 'Big Bang' is just more than I can stomach.

i.e. mutations and adaptations are easily observed but Darwin's finches are, always have been, and always will be finches; A huge bang with no 'Cause' just doesn't seem possible and creation by explosion isn't something I can wrap my mind around without an Intervention from some Other Source.
Right, I see where you're coming from and my point in the original post was to try and take the stance that there comes a point where it becomes a logical fallacy to completely deny evidence for a "Big Bang" because you don't think it is so. There is certainly evidence for us to believe that the universe did in fact come from a single point. The Big Bang does refer to the smallest fraction of a second right after the beginning of the universe and not what came before that. What came before that is much a mystery and so at this point there is no real answer, only a hypothesis. Some people choose to put God there and some don't. My personal opinion is that if there is something powerful enough to make a "cause" or a "Bang" then it too must have started from somewhere at some point and just saying "He is infinite" doesn't cut it for me.

Occam's Razor suggests that the simplest answer is usually the correct one and to be quite honest, I find "God just exists" to be a much more intangible and complex answer than "The universe just exists". Granted, our simple explanations can have magnitudes of difficult explanations behind them such as cosmic radiation, dark matter, dark energy, etc... etc.. but the simplest, most profound answer to me is that of "The universe just exists." It is here. We can see it. We can touch it. We can look into its' past. We can't do that with a deity of any sort. We can only say "I just can't believe all of that started without intervention." and that is just not proof enough for me.

Aside from that, I'd love to go onward with your Darwin example but I really think you and I have beat that horse dead, stomped its' remains into the ground, dug it back up, kicked it some more, buried it, dug it back up, kicked it some more and then made violin strings out of its' tail don't you??

Old 03-11-2008, 01:42 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Right, I see where you're coming from and my point in the original post was to try and take the stance that there comes a point where it becomes a logical fallacy to completely deny evidence for a "Big Bang" because you don't think it is so. There is certainly evidence for us to believe that the universe did in fact come from a single point. The Big Bang does refer to the smallest fraction of a second right after the beginning of the universe and not what came before that. What came before that is much a mystery and so at this point there is no real answer, only a hypothesis. Some people choose to put God there and some don't. My personal opinion is that if there is something powerful enough to make a "cause" or a "Bang" then it too must have started from somewhere at some point and just saying "He is infinite" doesn't cut it for me.

Occam's Razor suggests that the simplest answer is usually the correct one and to be quite honest, I find "God just exists" to be a much more intangible and complex answer than "The universe just exists". Granted, our simple explanations can have magnitudes of difficult explanations behind them such as cosmic radiation, dark matter, dark energy, etc... etc.. but the simplest, most profound answer to me is that of "The universe just exists." It is here. We can see it. We can touch it. We can look into its' past. We can't do that with a deity of any sort. We can only say "I just can't believe all of that started without intervention." and that is just not proof enough for me.

Aside from that, I'd love to go onward with your Darwin example but I really think you and I have beat that horse dead, stomped its' remains into the ground, dug it back up, kicked it some more, buried it, dug it back up, kicked it some more and then made violin strings out of its' tail don't you??
I couldn't agree more. (With entire answer but I did bold a key phrase in there as there is speculation involved on both sides of the argument which, if you recall, has been my entire argument in almost every thread we've discussed this in)

Always good to talk to you.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:25 PM

205 posts, read 374,522 times
Default the big bang

yes... the big bang happen , then ok ....but just before the big bang happened ,god spoke then the big bang happened......when god speaks things happen....i know that because you do the same thing god does......your thoughts tell you then you do it it happens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality