Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 02:42 PM

18,976 posts, read 6,992,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Absolutely. For instance, large groups like fundamentalist Christians are wrong.
So then your comment regarding jeff and me in the "select company of 2" means what? Because if numbers agreeing on something doesn't mean anything....

Or was that an attempt to be rude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 02:47 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Attack the source? LOL. I QUOTED the source.
What do you expect from a FUNDIE!

Old 07-06-2017, 02:48 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,151,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So then your comment regarding jeff and me in the "select company of 2" means what? Because if numbers agreeing on something doesn't mean anything....

It was an attempt to be accurate.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:14 PM

16,672 posts, read 15,644,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Most atheists were raised as Christians. They've already considered religion and didn't find it to their liking. That to me is open-mindedness.

What isn't open-minded is starting a thread that's deliberately designed to provoke atheists, and your tendency to be aggressive towards anyone who scrutinises the quality of the study.
Quote:
How do you know that? I'd love to see some survey or study results to confirm that. I believe it's certainly possible that many atheists were raised in a religious environment--but there is no way of knowing that it got past attending a religious service once a year, or their parents simply claiming to be of a certain religion. In my experience, most atheists I've spoken to are in rebellion against religion in general, and are anything but open-minded. They have a bone to pick, and they hate religion. At least that's the "internet variety" of atheists.

First of all, you are judging my motive. That's not nice, or open-minded.

Second of all, we see the reverse on this board daily. There are atheist and non-religious people that intentionally stir up religious people just to get reactions out of us. So please, cut the self-righteous act. I'm not buying it.
Like I've suggested before, ask them. Better than that, go the Atheism & Agnosticism forum. Start reading the threads about how they became non-believers. There are dozens of those threads. Literally dozens of them. (There is one near the top of the first page right now.) Read what the Atheists say about themselves. Read about their own experiences with religion. Read how many of them spent many long years as seriously religious people. Those people were NOT Easter & Christmas Christians. They were, for the most part, active members of mainstream Christian churches. Many of them went through long periods of anguish as they left their religions behind them.

I don't know if a study such as you mention exists. It may. What I'm saying is that, of the Atheists who post in these forums, most of them were religious in varying degrees prior to losing their faith.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:16 PM

11,013 posts, read 5,966,449 times
Quote:
So does consensus prove something is correct or not? Or is it possible for a large group to be wrong?
There are two large groups. One theists and the atheist. Each have an opposing view. One of those groups must be wrong.

So yes it is possible for a large group to be wrong.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:39 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,557,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Well, if you build your life around science and empiricism, you're going to be less open-minded to the opinions of people who base their lives and values on "belief" and "feeling" rather than evidence.

It's like when my mother called me "stupid" because I told her I was an atheist. I calmly listed out my reasoning and the evidence for what I had arrived at, while she just shrieked back hysterically "I know what I believe!" Hard to keep an "open mind" around behavior like that. The best part was when she told me she didn't need to read the bible because she knew what she believed.
well, yeah, we are not as opened to "nothing" as evidence. we we'll keep saying 'that's a belief based nothing". Or personal meaning. The scientific method does try and close the gap between bias and error statements of belief and observation based beliefs.

The "I's" have it. and they aren't all religious or even theists.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:59 AM

50,083 posts, read 20,667,067 times
Quote:

Because numbers proves nothing either way. Mystic has two or three more disciples for his views than I do for mine, and yet I reckon I'm right and he's wrong.

Sarcasm is sometimes a way of sharpening the point to make it penetrate where otherwise it would be up against leathery resistance.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:27 AM

2,953 posts, read 2,897,848 times
Yeah sure, I'm open minded to the world is flat

Old 07-07-2017, 06:53 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,557,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Because numbers proves nothing either way. Mystic has two or three more disciples for his views than I do for mine, and yet I reckon I'm right and he's wrong.

Sarcasm is sometimes a way of sharpening the point to make it penetrate where otherwise it would be up against leathery resistance.
yeah, everybody else is wrong. sounds awful familiar. I am going to have to whip out that religion list.

does a group resemble a religion list ... quacks quacks.

16) everybody else is wrong.

kind of like asking a person sitting in 3rd ward hall who's crazy. while pointing around, they claim ... "they are."

the scientific processes is a popularity contest. The more people that understand the claim and say its valid, invalid, or more valid decide how it is to be viewed. And, best of all, what we want to believe or how bad it hurts when we are wrong, the universe works how the universe works.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:17 AM

50,083 posts, read 20,667,067 times
Default Whe you see Mystic...you have seen the father.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yeah, everybody else is wrong. sounds awful familiar. I am going to have to whip out that religion list.

does a group resemble a religion list ... quacks quacks.

16) everybody else is wrong.

kind of like asking a person sitting in 3rd ward hall who's crazy. while pointing around, they claim ... "they are."

the scientific processes is a popularity contest. The more people that understand the claim and say its valid, invalid, or more valid decide how it is to be viewed. And, best of all, what we want to believe or how bad it hurts when we are wrong, the universe works how the universe works.
You don't see the difference? I work from the text and show how it fatally contradicts itself and destroys its' own credibility.

Mystic has it all radioed to him by God. Debate is beside the point. Anyone disagreeing is just WRONG, You really didn't see a difference?

Also, I am always waiting to be proved wrong. Mystic KNOWS he is right on Faith. And since practically everyone else seems to disagree with him, he is the only one receiving God loud an clear. You really don't see a difference?

I suppose niot, because seeing anything that contradicts your particular theory is to be dismissed as lies atheists tell. You may not be a theist...yet..but your Think is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality