Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 12:41 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,438,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
No, I'm saying that if it's not a house of worship of G-d, I don't think that qualifies as a "church". I don't care what name is over the door. Peace
Nope, let's look at your words. I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33
UUs are not Christians. They don't have to follow Christian rules. That's why.
And you responded:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1
So basically a social club that wants tax exempt status is what you're saying? Peace
So you've ruled out synagogues and mosques in YOUR definition of what qualifies as a group deserving tax exempt status. You just decided about 1/3 of the population of the earth goes to "social clubs" because they're not Christian.

I'm sure you'll now backtrack, but the fact is that non-Christian groups do not have to follow Christian rules. Period. And that just makes some Christians crazy, because they think they're the only ones who should make the rules.

Quote:
Stating the obvious without any intent of being "nasty". Faith in WHAT? They already removed G-d from the equation, one of the posters "in the know" said they don't have to believe in anything. I don't personally think that is a church deserving of tax exempt status, do you? But then again, I guess it depends on how "church", which should be a house of WORSHIP (Jesus's words, not mine) is defined. Clearly the government doesn't know, either. Peace
Tell me, how do you know if someplace is a house of worship if you have never, ever stepped a foot inside their doors? Does Jesus make the rules for synagogues too?

This isn't really about tax exempt status, this is about Christians wanting to define what is religious, what is right and correct, and wanting everyone else to follow their rules. And then they want to cry out that they're oppressed because they don't get to do that.

On a final note, there is something that you (and other Christians) need to get a grasp on. There are many, many of us who believe in God, and commune with God, and are friends with God. God is my friend;much older, wiser friend, but still a friend. I don't worship my friends. I go to God for advice, guidance, to ask for loving protection of my loved ones, and to give thanks. And believe it or not, I can do all that without a building or a book!

Last edited by MoonBeam33; 07-16-2017 at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 01:37 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
So basically a social club that wants tax exempt status is what you're saying? Peace

So basically you are bashing Christianity?

Ah yes, A CHURCH like any other church.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:42 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Mighty ecumenical of you to include Islam in your list of "real" religions...monotheistic, worshiping a male deity.

Irony, where is thy sting?
To what "list" are you referring?

Old 07-16-2017, 04:57 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,043,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Nope, let's look at your words. I said:

And you responded:

So you've ruled out synagogues and mosques in YOUR definition of what qualifies as a group deserving tax exempt status. You just decided about 1/3 of the population of the earth goes to "social clubs" because they're not Christian.

I'm sure you'll now backtrack, but the fact is that non-Christian groups do not have to follow Christian rules. Period. And that just makes some Christians crazy, because they think they're the only ones who should make the rules.

Tell me, how do you know if someplace is a house of worship if you have never, ever stepped a foot inside their doors? Does Jesus make the rules for synagogues too?

This isn't really about tax exempt status, this is about Christians wanting to define what is religious, what is right and correct, and wanting everyone else to follow their rules. And then they want to cry out that they're oppressed because they don't get to do that.

On a final note, there is something that you (and other Christians) need to get a grasp on. There are many, many of us who believe in God, and commune with God, and are friends with God. God is my friend;much older, wiser friend, but still a friend. I don't worship my friends. I go to God for advice, guidance, to ask for loving protection of my loved ones, and to give thanks. And believe it or not, I can do all that without a building or a book!

Maybe you missed it, but I'm a Messianic Jew, who goes to a synagogue. And, I could care less what rules Christians make, nor am I crying over being oppressed. Jesus said, My Father's house shall be called a house of PRAYER (a type of WORSHIP). I think that defines what a "church" is, regardless of what name is over the door, was my point. Since in one of the poster's comments, it was said that belief in G-d was not necessary for inclusion, then that obviously would throw worship out the window, would it not?

The rest of your comments, are between you and Him, so take it up with Him. I would say it looks like for you it's a good thing it's not a place of worship, since you don't need a building (ever?) to do that. Peace

Old 07-16-2017, 06:51 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
And, come to think of it, I could have added I'm a Mormon because I believe Adam was a red man, and I've seen gold tablets in the Spirit, the souls/hearts of men the hand of the Spirit writes upon.
Holy cow! If you were to claim those things, no Mormon I know would recognize you!

Old 07-16-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Holy cow! If you were to claim those things, no Mormon I know would recognize you!

Really??? Because I had an afternoon one time talking to a man who had been a priest in the Tabernacle out there for 15 years and to my surprise, those were 2 things we mutually understood. Peace

Old 07-16-2017, 08:42 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Stating the obvious without any intent of being "nasty". Faith in WHAT? They already removed G-d from the equation, one of the posters "in the know" said they don't have to believe in anything. I don't personally think that is a church deserving of tax exempt status, do you? But then again, I guess it depends on how "church", which should be a house of WORSHIP (Jesus's words, not mine) is defined. Clearly the government doesn't know, either. Peace

Your intent is always quite clear. Your disdain for human beings who aren't just like you seethes through your words. Own it.

I don't worry about who gets or doesn't get tax exempt status. That has nothing to do with anything in this topic.

Faith in what? Translation: Not faith in what Rbbi1 believes, so therefore it's nothing.

If the people in the UU weren't seeking something, they'd go to a real social club, or find another activity. Some may not be sure of what they seek, but they know there is something. You do a bang-up job of steering them away from Christ.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Your intent is always quite clear. Your disdain for human beings who aren't just like you seethes through your words. Own it.

I don't worry about who gets or doesn't get tax exempt status. That has nothing to do with anything in this topic.

Faith in what? Translation: Not faith in what Rbbi1 believes, so therefore it's nothing.

If the people in the UU weren't seeking something, they'd go to a real social club, or find another activity. Some may not be sure of what they seek, but they know there is something. You do a bang-up job of steering them away from Christ.

My comment did not exclude anyone or make any remarks towards any of the denoms mentioned as attending, my comment was pertaining to, if not believing in ANY god at all was ok in this place mentioned, and no worship of any kind takes place, then how, by definition is that a "church"? I didn't single out any denom mentioned, and it was a legitimate question. Has nothing to do with what I believe, and I'm pretty sure other non-religious people might also have the same ponderings, if they knew and/or thought about it. So your comment is nothing but slander as usual, and you should have "Love" for all but those I perceive to be fundamentalist, made into a bumper sticker or something.

I'm surprised the tax exempt status thing doesn't interest you, as you are usually very socially conscious and against tax money being spent in frivolous ways from what I've read of your posts, so it seems to me that tax money never coming in to begin with, would be at least a curiosity worth considering.

And, so do you. Peace

Last edited by Rbbi1; 07-16-2017 at 09:32 PM..

Old 07-16-2017, 10:13 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,438,862 times
Quote:
Maybe you missed it, but I'm a Messianic Jew, who goes to a synagogue. And, I could care less what rules Christians make, nor am I crying over being oppressed. Jesus said, My Father's house shall be called a house of PRAYER (a type of WORSHIP). I think that defines what a "church" is, regardless of what name is over the door, was my point. Since in one of the poster's comments, it was said that belief in G-d was not necessary for inclusion, then that obviously would throw worship out the window, would it not?

The rest of your comments, are between you and Him, so take it up with Him. I would say it looks like for you it's a good thing it's not a place of worship, since you don't need a building (ever?) to do that. Peace
If you're a Messianic Jew, you're a Christian. And you are the one who said Jesus made the rules about what happens in a church- not synagogue, not mosque, not temple - you said church.

And requirement in a belief in God is not possible. You think there aren't thousands of people who go to church/synagogue/mosque every week and don't believe in God, doubt the possibility of God, or just have no idea? Sure there are. So you have no idea, none, if the person next to you believes in God at all, much less the same version of God that you do.

Again, you are the one who is so concerned about what happens in other houses of worship, and yet you know nothing about them and don't enter them, so your "concern" is really just another attempt at control, which is what certain Christians - certain Messianic Jews included - are obsessed with.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:48 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
To what "list" are you referring?
Judaism, Christianity, Islam.

Oh yeah, Zoroastrianism, I suppose, but the first three did a great job of killing off Ahura Mazda, who only lives on these days in Miatas.

The three survivors are known for hating each other and being divided, literally, into sects that also hate each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality