Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 06:52 AM

88,749 posts, read 85,140,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
LOL, see?
Lmao, my reaction exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 06:53 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,952,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
I think there's a great amount of spiritual focus, but no dogma focus.

I agree that it's a social club. One with the most open and loving congregation I have ever been around. Since it also meets on Sunday mornings, has a minister, a choir, a large congregation, a religious education program, spiritual classes, and God, Jesus and the bible are often mentioned some may call it a church, but it doesn't bother me at all if people don't consider it a church.
NAILED it!

Old 07-08-2017, 06:59 AM

88,749 posts, read 85,140,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
We get the same from folks here when we say we attend the Episcopal church. They look at us strangely, smirk and say, OH the RAINBOW FLAG CHURCH?

To which we respond--NO, THE CHURCH THAT ENCOURAGES UNITY AND EMBRACES DIVERSITY...
Or my uncle, whose photo appears as an illustration next to the term, "Pompous Ass" and who was "born-again" in his 50s and now knows God better than anyone who ever lived.

"You'd better more thoroughly check out the doctrine of the Episcopal Church. They are not following the Bible!"

That's right. They are following the teachings of Jesus.

We have an active married gay male couple who do not want the rainbow flag on our website. They say it's not a gay church, it's just a church, and they are correct.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:03 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,625,898 times
Quote:
I grew up Catholic but never thought I'd join a church in my adult life. That was until last year when I found a Unitarian Universalist church that I enjoy quite a bit. A couple of Christians have asked where I go and I mention a UU church, it's often followed by silence. I could think of numerous interesting follow up questions but maybe since religion is such a personal and touchy subject, they're not brought up.

How would you respond and why?
I am with the other posters. I didn't eve know there was a UU church. But I usually don't have a problem looking stupid.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:07 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,349,210 times
Quote:
I think there's a great amount of spiritual focus, but no dogma focus.

I agree that it's a social club. One with the most open and loving congregation I have ever been around. Since it also meets on Sunday mornings, has a minister, a choir, a large congregation, a religious education program, spiritual classes, and God, Jesus and the bible are often mentioned some may call it a church, but it doesn't bother me at all if people don't consider it a church.
Really? I am curious why you started a thread asking how others would respond. If you truly are not bothered by the thoughts of others how anyone responds would not be a concern.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:40 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,625,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Really? I am curious why you started a thread asking how others would respond. If you truly are not bothered by the thoughts of others how anyone responds would not be a concern.
whats wrong with just looking? most times we don't care, maybe we were sitting at the puter with nothing to do and just asked?

This is the first thread for us to just let it be as it is. just a question.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:36 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,282,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Or my uncle, whose photo appears as an illustration next to the term, "Pompous Ass" and who was "born-again" in his 50s and now knows God better than anyone who ever lived.

"You'd better more thoroughly check out the doctrine of the Episcopal Church. They are not following the Bible!"

That's right. They are following the teachings of Jesus.

We have an active married gay male couple who do not want the rainbow flag on our website. They say it's not a gay church, it's just a church, and they are correct.
YES!! It is just a church, like any other church..well..sorta like any other church in that it is not for any particular group or type of people..

Old 07-08-2017, 11:33 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,062,287 times
Quote:
I grew up Catholic but never thought I'd join a church in my adult life. That was until last year when I found a Unitarian Universalist church that I enjoy quite a bit. A couple of Christians have asked where I go and I mention a UU church, it's often followed by silence. I could think of numerous interesting follow up questions but maybe since religion is such a personal and touchy subject, they're not brought up.

How would you respond and why?

I doubt if they've ever heard of it, is more likely the issue. Peace

Old 07-08-2017, 11:39 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,551,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I agree with LT. It's likely they know nothing of UU so rather than ask a maybe-dumb question or make a maybe-dumb remark, they change the subject to the weather.

If there was a UU thingee in the boonies where I live, I might check it out. As long as it was within a 30-minute drive and the service started around 11:30 - 12:00 noon.

And served coffee on the way in...*
*A man can dream.
My wife's son goes to a church that has a coffee bar on the way in. "No drinks in the sacristy, please."
https://lcbcchurch.com/

"Great music, too"

Old 07-08-2017, 01:39 PM

678 posts, read 430,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I was just curious to know more and possibly dig deeper. Not sure if people haven't heard of it or if they're disappointed we don't share the same common religious beliefs. I suppose I can say "I go to this church. Have you heard of it? "

Religion is obviously a touchy subject. Most of my Christian millennial friends don't go to church and aren't interested in religion. I have some older family and friends who are very religious and have been that way their entire lives. Not saying it's a bad thing but saying what I believe may question their own beliefs or make them feel uncomfortable.
I have a great friend who's a Baptist and conservative. I asked him "don't you think Jesus himself would be for the wealthiest country in the world providing healthcare to the poor." He quoted a Bible verse about people should be willing to work. Even though I don't often agree with him (politically or religiously) I can still learn from him and see where his perspective comes from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality