Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 09:56 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times

Advertisements

All you fundamentalist Christians can be as critical of the UUs as you want, but the UUs have always been on the forefront of fighting for civil rights, human rights, equal rights. The UUs were sending people to fight for civil rights in the south in the 1960s when certain bible-centric denominations were still teaching their congregants that blacks and whites shouldn't mix because not only were blacks inferior and less than human, but they had "black diseases" that white people could catch.

I'll stick with the UUs, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 10:14 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
All you fundamentalist Christians can be as critical of the UUs as you want, but the UUs have always been on the forefront of fighting for civil rights, human rights, equal rights. The UUs were sending people to fight for civil rights in the south in the 1960s when certain bible-centric denominations were still teaching their congregants that blacks and whites shouldn't mix because not only were blacks inferior and less than human, but they had "black diseases" that white people could catch.

I'll stick with the UUs, thanks.
While I am not a UU, I have had only positive interactions with Unitarians. While I am a progressive Christian and I believe in the Trinity, I also believe that it's one of those shades of grey in Christianity.

If I lived in a remote part of New England and the churches available to me were Fundamentalist or UU, I would attend the UU church.

I do not worship the bible. I do adhere to the ideals of social justice, peace, love and community. These are Chrisyian values and I see them more in the Unitarian Universalist faith than I do in any Fundamentalist church or denomination.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:18 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
So the question is why won't they fight with me when I proclaim my fellowship?

Old 07-10-2017, 01:47 PM

678 posts, read 429,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
So the question is why won't they fight with me when I proclaim my fellowship?
Well first it would help to know what you're fighting for?

If you're fighting for social justice, the environment or love there will be many UU's fighting with you. But not so much, if you're fighting for dogma or something seen as greedy self-interest.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:56 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
I grew up Catholic but never thought I'd join a church in my adult life. That was until last year when I found a Unitarian Universalist church that I enjoy quite a bit. A couple of Christians have asked where I go and I mention a UU church, it's often followed by silence. I could think of numerous interesting follow up questions but maybe since religion is such a personal and touchy subject, they're not brought up.

How would you respond and why?
How would I respond to silence? No response is necessary. Count your blessings that they didn't begin to preach to you about the error of your ways, and have a nice day. There's nothing to respond to. Enjoy!

Old 07-10-2017, 04:23 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How would I respond to silence? No response is necessary. Count your blessings that they didn't begin to preach to you about the error of your ways, and have a nice day. There's nothing to respond to. Enjoy!
Not a bad answer, but I think OP was asking how you would respond to the statement that he was going to a UU church, as in, "Oh, kewl. They are a pretty good bunch of people."

Old 07-11-2017, 10:35 AM

678 posts, read 429,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Not a bad answer, but I think OP was asking how you would respond to the statement that he was going to a UU church, as in, "Oh, kewl. They are a pretty good bunch of people."
I would never expect that response. I'm guessing most don't know anything about the church. And that the deer in the headlights response is simply because they don't know how to respond. I suppose next time someone tells me they go to a church I could respond with "What do you like the most about the church?" or "How do you feel it has changed you as a person?" I would genuinely be interested and trying to be a good conversationalist, but religion is such a touchy subject especially with those outside one's tribe that it may inadvertently raise red flags.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:30 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
I would never expect that response. I'm guessing most don't know anything about the church. And that the deer in the headlights response is simply because they don't know how to respond. I suppose next time someone tells me they go to a church I could respond with "What do you like the most about the church?" or "How do you feel it has changed you as a person?" I would genuinely be interested and trying to be a good conversationalist, but religion is such a touchy subject especially with those outside one's tribe that it may inadvertently raise red flags.

Well, how about this then: "Oh, I can relate somewhat, I'm a Quaker."

Old 07-11-2017, 01:42 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
I grew up Catholic but never thought I'd join a church in my adult life. That was until last year when I found a Unitarian Universalist church that I enjoy quite a bit. A couple of Christians have asked where I go and I mention a UU church, it's often followed by silence. I could think of numerous interesting follow up questions but maybe since religion is such a personal and touchy subject, they're not brought up.

How would you respond and why?
You asked, so I'll answer.

My first impression, if I'm honest, is that a UU church is "out there". It's a weird, non mainstream church, and isn't Christian.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:03 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You asked, so I'll answer.

My first impression, if I'm honest, is that a UU church is "out there". It's a weird, non mainstream church, and isn't Christian.
Based on personal experience?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality