Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 09:03 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,060,758 times

Advertisements

I just wanna say, I love the interweb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 09:28 PM

27,916 posts, read 29,770,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
I'm sorry, but my question is: how can anyone read the Book and not know? Peace
Because we're all different, Rbbi1. Muslims would ask you the same thing. How can someone read the Qur'an and not know it's true? Mormons would ask how it's possible to read The Book of Mormon and not knot it's true? Baha'is would wonder how you could possibly read the writings of Bahá’u’lláh and not recognize their truth? I think it's a huge mistake to just assume that anyone who reads your scriptures is going to see them the way you do. We're just way too complex for that to be the case and we come from such varied backgrounds.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:32 PM

18,448 posts, read 9,078,849 times
God's plan is to increase the global average temperature by about 4 degrees Celsius by the end of this century.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:00 AM

10 posts, read 4,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
If you believe in God (because if you don't, my question is pointless), do you believe He has what you would describe as a "Plan," whether for mankind as a whole or for individual human beings? If the answer is "no," why not? If the answer is "yes," what do you see this plan as encompassing? What was His reason for the plan in the first place, and how does He intend to see it through to its desired conclusion?
As far as I know, God personally, dose not judge. But it doesn't mean God has no plan for everybody. God commit (the) judgment unto the Son(s). God is a provider. Unless some catastrophic events come, the He would judge.

I believe God has our best in mind. But as a loving Father or Mother, the free wills are given to exercise. So the my answer for your question for me is yes. God has a plan for us. God is a provider to both materials and events.

God would love having sons&daughters(maybe), and He sees them become through divinded providences.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:18 AM

50,081 posts, read 20,543,087 times
Quote:
Because we're all different, Rbbi1. Muslims would ask you the same thing. How can someone read the Qur'an and not know it's true? Mormons would ask how it's possible to read The Book of Mormon and not knot it's true? Baha'is would wonder how you could possibly read the writings of Bahá’u’lláh and not recognize their truth? I think it's a huge mistake to just assume that anyone who reads your scriptures is going to see them the way you do. We're just way too complex for that to be the case and we come from such varied backgrounds.
Absolutely right. If a person wants to believe or go on believing without question - that's their good right and nobody (including atheists) should want to take it away.

But, when they start to argue the rationale or validity of their particular faith, whether to prosetylize (I can never spell that) , self -justify it or 'Just tellin'", they will run into problems.

"Other religions; other Holy books" is one of the first. Then of course the invidious deprecating of the other books and religions and the rummage around for supportive Evidence. Road to ruin, once you leave the safe sanctuary of Faith and try to do it with evidence and reason.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:52 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,591,410 times
Quote:
I'd say there is quite likely the same degree of substantiation to SoCalAngel's claims as there is to your claims. Can your claims (if you have any at all) be proven to be true? After all, all any of us can do is make claims, based on what we personally believe. Or maybe you've personally been to Heaven and back and have a more reliable perspective than the rest of us.

I am not making a claim here, Katzpur. In fact, it is quite funny you immediately jump to defending her claims, which have no base in reality. Could it be what happens? Sure. You could also die and that be it. Neither has any proof, but making a bunch of outrageous claims as if they were true, is just delusional. At best.

Quote:
Ya gotta love it. Some people are so closed-minded that they don't even want to wait for an answer to their question.
No closed mind here Katz. After all, I am not a religious fundamentalist.

Closed mind or not, her claims are fantastical, and would require something (at least for most people) more than her simply saying, "This is how it is" to believe in it. I know you guys tend to believe all sorts of fantastical things, but a lot of us require more than stories.

It has the EXACT SAME merit, seeing as there is nothing substantiating it, as if I said the following....

The next world is the noodle world, also known as the Kingdom of His High Noodliness. It's in another dimension not far from the earth and is unseen with our physical vision. However, the earth is visible to the noodle spirits; they can see us, but we can only see them if our psychic abilities are developed.

Kingdom of His High Noodliness is composed of seven spheres with many planes in each sphere and above the seventh sphere is the Celestial Kingdom of His High Noodliness. The first sphere is called the earthplane; the burning sauces are below and are closest to the earth.

The spirit world is the image of the earth. In the many planes are cities and countryside, lakes and rivers, and mountains, trees and flowers of all different varieties. There are homes, places of worship, noodle bars, and universities to learn His Noodliness' spiritual laws.

As we are here on earth with our own individual personalities, so are we there, but without the physical body. Our appearance is the same, except there is no outward evidence of race or skin color, and we more closely resemble His Noodliness. Our beliefs, faith, thoughts about all things and our memories are all intact.

That is the point. And yes, I realize that FSM is a made up religion (that is why I used it), and do not subscribe to that nonsense either. I didn't need to wait for an answer, because I already have it. I have talked with Angel before. She thinks she is one of only a few people in the ENTIRE WORLD who knows the truth. To me, that speaks of either mental illness, or an extreme ego. She has no substantiation to her claims, just that she "knows" them to be true. You know, like every other believer?

Old 07-11-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
You didn't think so, because you don't do your own investigation. I have no idea what your belief is. When is it that you're planning to share it with us? Or is it just your MO to continue trolling from the peanut gallery throwing stones?

Who was it now who said, "Experience is the teacher of all things?"

As you know, since you've read my posts in another thread, I am sharing not only what I've learned, but also what I have experienced, both of which I can attest to as my personal testimony.

Because I know that I have a soul, I also know that your baseless attacks are damaging and hurtful. If I feel that way in my soul, imagine what you are doing to your own soul being the perpetrator. Therefore, I respectfully request that you cease responding to my posts and we'll both be happier.
I have, as explained to you before, done a TON of research. Into all sorts of religions and belief systems. IF I were to fall into any kind of religious category, it would be as a pantheist or panentheist. I call myself an agnostic as of right now, simply because I do not know. I do not believe in a personal God, or an interventionist God, or anything like that though. Could there be one? Sure. Absolutely. Do I believe you hold all the answers, as you claim (Since only you and a few select people all across the globe know this "real truth")? No.

What about those that have experiences drastically different from yours? Are their experiences not valid if they don't match yours? You have never answered this when asked, as far as I can recall. If two people have two completely differing experiences, one of them has to be incorrect. It could be both as well.

I apologize if having someone call you out on your baseless outrageous claims is damaging and hurtful to you. Maybe you shouldn't be posting on here if something so small is damaging and hurtful to your soul? Or if you can't answer questions posed to you? Or handle the responses? You are more than welcome to block me if you can't handle answering some questions. I am perfectly happy, and have no reason to ignore posts, so I respectfully ask that you not post fantastical claims as fact, and we will both be happier, because I won't feel a need to respond.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:54 AM

17,156 posts, read 11,332,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
... She has no substantiation to her claims, just that she "knows" them to be true. You know, like every other believer?

I do not subscribe to SoCal's beliefs, but her substantiation, I believe, is channeled messages recorded by a guy named Padgett. (Sort of like some people claim the bible was God being channeled.) I don't know if all of the beliefs the movement embrace actually originated with Padgett's writings, because I've read similar ideas by at least one other author (also claimed to be channeled) from around the same time period. Wish I could remember the name, but it escapes me at the moment*.

Home - Biography of James E. Padgett, Spirit Communications

*ETA: Found it. It was Robert James Lees

Last edited by Pleroo; 07-11-2017 at 09:07 AM..

Old 07-11-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I do not subscribe to SoCal's beliefs, but her substantiation, I believe, is channeled messages recorded by a guy named Padgett. (Sort of like some people claim the bible was God being channeled.) I don't know if all of the beliefs the movement embrace actually originated with Padgett's writings, because I've read similar ideas by at least one other author (also claimed to be channeled) from around the same time period. Wish I could remember the name, but it escapes me at the moment.

Home - Biography of James E. Padgett, Spirit Communications
Ahh... I see.

So a guy who received written messages from his dead wife, other family members, law associates, and historical figures (Which according to the article, he actually wrote himself, but without any bias...), is supposed to be a trusted source of knowledge? No wonder the world is in the state it is.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:12 AM

17,156 posts, read 11,332,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Ahh... I see.

So a guy who received written messages from his dead wife, other family members, law associates, and historical figures (Which according to the article, he actually wrote himself, but without any bias...), is supposed to be a trusted source of knowledge? No wonder the world is in the state it is.
Well, as you said, none of us know anything for certain. So, one guess is as good as another. I don't think SoCal is of the opinion that one should trust her or Padgett, as much as she hopes that people will experiment for themselves with a prayer to receive divine love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality