Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 04:21 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Since no such thing exists, Biblically speaking, no.

Keep in mind that my church's teachings have no bearing on the legal aspect of any said union. There is nothing in the Bible to suggest that we pattern our laws based on the Bible.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 05:06 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

You believe the Bible does teach it? Could you elaborate?

Old 07-19-2017, 05:26 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Were they in war? Or innocent civilians? Can you prove it either way?

Based on what? How do you define that? Because I have yet to see anything in the Bible to suggest that Christians ought to kill innocent people.

I live in a pretty religious area. There are a lot of Amish and Mennonites around here. They are serious about their religion, but I don't hear of any Mennonites shooting up bus stops or tossing gay people off buildings. On the other hand, we do hear of Muslims doing that sort of thing daily. I think it's naive to suggest otherwise.

I'm not aware of any such verse. Can you point that out to me?
It's not my job to prove mass murders. It was done by civilians against their neighbours. Apparently there was sufficient evidence for NATO to send in troops to stop it. I think the mass Graves of male Muslims may be a clue that these mass murders took place. Plus there are more than one example in the OT of God requiring the genocide of city inhabitants when captured by his people but perhaps you pick and choose which parts of the Bible count and which can be ignored. If you look there are many examples of Christians killing non Christians in the name if religion, and of Hindu, Muslims and probably all other religions as well. The fact that fundamentalist Muslims are able to use their holy book to terrorize others does not make your religion squeaky clean. Most of Prpestestintism is based on the deeds of a man who thought Jews deserved to die. As far as comparing Amish to Muslim, there are more than a billion Muslims compared to how many Amish. From people like you I am made to think that Muslims cannot be very religious or else many more orders of magnitude of Muslims would be tossing people off buildings. As far as gays go it was the Christians in Uganda with the help of American missionaries who not only made long prison terms for being gay but wanted to enact the death penalty for a single act of same gender sex. And yet even though some American Christians say that is a good idea you don't find many who actually support these fanatics.

If you chose not to accept recent historical facts that is your choice but it is not up to me to provide the evidence, you can read published accounts from the women of the villages, some of those involved and the findings of International War Crimes trials, civilians killing civilians cause they were of the wrong religion.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
You believe the Bible does teach it? Could you elaborate?
You ducked my question.

And are trying to change the subject.

I couldn't find a cowardly chicken emoji I felt was suitable. So, settled for the ostrich.

I think the message is clear.

You put me in mind of a certain, recently-disappeared, self-proclaimed pastor from the boonies.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:15 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
No. I really don't.
Of course you don't. I expected nothing else!

Quote:
Because Christianity does not teach violence toward those that do not follow it. Not even close.
Neither does Islam. It is those that misinterpret what Islam says for their own means that perpetrate the violence ...just as in Christianity.

Quote:
Your silly, insulting arguments aside. Frankly, this is beneath you. It borders on personal attacks, and you should be ashamed of yourself. You do a disservice to all those that hold to the atheistic view.
Frankly, I really don't care! I sincerely believe that if it were permissible by law in the USA or any other Western country to execute atheists, homosexuals or anyone else that you dislike, people like you and Jeff would be happily wielding the swords - just like people like you and Jeff were wielding the swords during the Crusades.

Quote:
I have yet to see anything in the Bible to suggest that Christians ought to kill innocent people.
Christians no...but what about the OT? Do you dismiss the OT as not applying to you?

Old 07-20-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
You ducked my question.

And are trying to change the subject.
I'm not trying to change the subject. We have the right to practice our religion. Christianity does not allow for 2 men or 2 women to marry. My church cannot do such a ceremony for that reason. My pastor would not do such a ceremony. However, we have no authority to declare that the state could not sanction such a ceremony.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:38 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Christianity does not allow for 2 men or 2 women to marry.
Who said so?

...and when are you going to answer that contradiction I gave you?

Old 07-20-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Of course you don't. I expected nothing else!

Neither does Islam. It is those that misinterpret what Islam says for their own means that perpetrate the violence ...just as in Christianity.
We can disagree about that. I can quote you the passages from the Quran that do state it. I realize that some may disagree on the interpretation. Ok.

However, it is a fact that there are a lot of countries in this world that are under Islamic control that oppress women and people that are considered sinners. That's just a simple fact. You may point to a few "Christian Nations" that do the same...but I'd point to the myriad of "Christian nations" that don't. I think it's a simple, observable fact that wherever Christianity has flourished in the last 100 years, living conditions improve for women and other minorities.
Quote:
Frankly, I really don't care! I sincerely believe that if it were permissible by law in the USA or any other Western country to execute atheists, homosexuals or anyone else that you dislike, people like you and Jeff would be happily wielding the swords - just like people like you and Jeff were wielding the swords during the Crusades.
And when you toss out asinine, idiotic, hateful, obnoxious statements like that, you make yourself look bad. You are a discredit to your side.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Who said so?
THe Bible. Can you provide one example of a Biblical marriage between 2 men or 2 women?

Old 07-20-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I'm not trying to change the subject. We have the right to practice our religion. Christianity does not allow for 2 men or 2 women to marry. My church cannot do such a ceremony for that reason. My pastor would not do such a ceremony. However, we have no authority to declare that the state could not sanction such a ceremony.
Horse hockey.

There are several Christian churches performing same sex marriages in Canada and have been for a decade. There are also Christian churches and clergy doing the same in the US and other parts of the world.

Are they less Christian than you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality