Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 12:16 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Nope, atheists are doing that to Christians. If atheists had their way, it would be illegal even carry a Bible in public.
I would add the word "some". As I would the words some theists think it should be illegal not to believe.

so back to square one we go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 02:03 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I would add the word "some". As I would the words some theists think it should be illegal not to believe.

so back to square one we go.
Really, I have never once seen an atheist anywhere say a single thing against an organization like Freedom from Religion Foundation who work relentlessly to destroy religious freedom. I would gamble that it's more than some. More like a majority. OTOH, I have never heard anyone beyond some small fringe extreme groups who believe that people should be forced to become Christians.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:33 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,910 times
Quote:
Nope, atheists are doing that to Christians. If atheists had their way, it would be illegal even carry a Bible in public.
Aren't you the majority, snowflake?

Old 07-11-2017, 02:43 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
And you continue to ignore what atheists and non believers are actually about. The continued ignorance is baffling Jeff. Baffling.

Where has an atheist EVER said that it should be illegal to carry a Bible in public? Can you point me to it? I would love to see it... and condemn it. In fact, I have never seen an atheist say that people shouldn't be able to freely practice their religion. Can you point me to that? In fact, all they want is for you to stop trying to force your religion onto them or the government. It is simple. No need to continue with your ignorance on the issue, unless you just prefer to be ignorant on the issue.
Did you condemn the FFRF for going after hotels who simply wanted to continue the LONG tradition of having a Gideon Bible in each room? You can't tell me that the mere presence of the Bible causes anyone harm.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:46 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
I'm interested to learn more about people's beliefs in the afterlife. If you feel that only those who are Christians can go to heaven, you believe that God isn't letting over 75% of the mankind into heaven. So God is already extremely selective and getting even more selective.
I would guess the number is much higher than 75%. Keep in mind, God originally only had a covenant with Abraham, and then the nation of Israel while the rest of the world went to hell. So now he includes Gentiles. He's so good that he redeems sinners who are in rebellion to him.
Quote:
Do you also believe in a judgement day, and if so, what is that like? Won't an extremely exclusive God be even more selective if he's already rejecting billions of great people just because they didn't win the religious lottery? I would think he would then only take the cream of the crop Christians, the ones who live lives full of compassion.
Actually, he rejects them because they sinned against him. That's it.
Quote:

What percentage of Christians do you believe get into Heaven, and how certain are you that you'll be one of them?
All Christians get into Heaven. And I'm one of them because he called me to himself.
Quote:

These are honest questions that I thought about after a devote Catholic relative of mine surprisingly expressed his uncertainty about himself getting into heaven and after reading some posts on here from those who believe on those who believe you must be Christian to get into heaven.
He ought to find a good Baptist church if he's uncertain.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:49 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Really, I have never once seen an atheist anywhere say a single thing against an organization like Freedom from Religion Foundation who work relentlessly to destroy religious freedom. I would gamble that it's more than some. More like a majority. OTOH, I have never heard anyone beyond some small fringe extreme groups who believe that people should be forced to become Christians.
I am not going to disagree that atheism needs work. all belief statements based do.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:54 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,604,176 times
Quote:
Did you condemn the FFRF for going after hotels who simply wanted to continue the LONG tradition of having a Gideon Bible in each room? You can't tell me that the mere presence of the Bible causes anyone harm.
I was in the camp of, "Who gives a crap?" to be honest. To be fair, you always leave out the fact that it was a hotel on government property. Correct me if I am wrong, that was a long time ago and my memory isn't that great. Did they go after every hotel?? No?? If they wanted to eradicate all Gideon Bibles from hotel rooms, they would have went after a lot more than one hotel, right?

So I guess you couldn't provide examples of atheists acting as you claimed?

Old 07-11-2017, 03:21 PM

678 posts, read 429,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I would guess the number is much higher than 75%. Keep in mind, God originally only had a covenant with Abraham, and then the nation of Israel while the rest of the world went to hell. So now he includes Gentiles. He's so good that he redeems sinners who are in rebellion to him.

Actually, he rejects them because they sinned against him. That's it.

All Christians get into Heaven. And I'm one of them because he called me to himself.

He ought to find a good Baptist church if he's uncertain.
He's close to 80 years old and has been a Catholic since age 0. I think it would be very tough for anyone to change core beliefs like that unless they got brainwashed or lose their mind.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:59 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,955,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
I'm interested to learn more about people's beliefs in the afterlife. If you feel that only those who are Christians can go to heaven, you believe that God isn't letting over 75% of the mankind into heaven. So God is already extremely selective and getting even more selective.
Do you also believe in a judgement day, and if so, what is that like? .
First of all, those who died before Jesus died ( John 3:13; Acts 2:34 ) do Not have a heavenly calling, but are called to be part of the humble meek people who will inherit the Earth as Jesus promised at Matthew 5:5 in connection to Psalm 37:10-11,29. They can be part of God's promise to father Abraham about Earth as found at Genesis 12:3; 22:18; Rev. 22:2

I suppose one could say there is more than one coming Judgement Day:
(1) At the soon coming ' time of separation ' on Earth as mentioned at Matthew 25:31-33,37 will be a Judgement Day for those alive on Earth at that separating time before Jesus ushers in global Peace on Earth among person's of goodwill.

(2) Also, I find Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rulership over Earth to be a Judgement Day, or Jesus' millennium-long day of governing over Earth, when the majority of mankind will have a happy-and-healthy physical resurrection back to life on Earth when they can have a favorable judgement to inherit the Earth.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:06 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,955,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
......... God originally only had a covenant with Abraham, and then the nation of Israel while the rest of the world went to hell.

I find God's covenant with father Abraham at Genesis 12:3 and Genesis 22:18 to include the rest of the world because God's promise is that ALL families of Earth will be blessed, and ALL nations of Earth will be blessed. Blessed with the reward of the benefits of healing for earth's nations as mentioned at Revelation 22:2.

If ALL Christians get into heaven, then how does one explain Hebrews 6:4-6; Matthew 12:32.
If ALL Christians get into heaven, they why did Jesus teach to 'endure to the end' at Matthew 24:13.
If ALL Christians get into heaven, then who are the humble meek people who will inherit the Earth - Matthew 5:5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality