Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 11:56 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,082,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Here's a point to consider. Ancient superstitious nonsense is ancient superstitious nonsense. It doesn't really matter what part of the world it originated in. The ancients had no clue about how the universe worked. So they made stuff up.
while with all the technology in the current world, you can't make another Giza pyramid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 12:00 PM

4,765 posts, read 1,993,523 times
Quote:
Good question. How DID nothing come from something? Where did God come from?

IMO it all boils down to which one, matter or God is eternal. IMO it is is more logical to accept the God is eternal. Neither can be proved, neither can be disproved.

Quote:
The only possible recourse we have to answer this question is to observe and examine the evidence. And what does the evidence tell us?

1. E=MC² Energy and mass/matter are co-equivalent. Matter is simply one of the forms that energy takes.

2. The law of conservation of energy. Energy can neither be created or destroyed, only changed in form. Energy is therefore eternal, according to all observation and experimentation.

3. Energy/matter interacts with itself according to the principles of quantum mechanics. Quantum mechanics is responsible for all change.

No discreet beginnings are observed. Everything is an effect of an earlier cause. This is tracable through circumstantial evidence back to a moment in time known as the big bang. Since everything that we can observe is the effect of an earlier cause, there is no reason to suppose that the big bang itself is not the result of an earlier cause. A cause we cannot yet directly observe.
No formula, no matter how accurate, can explain the origin of energy. You also don't know what the first cause was.

Quote:
Christianity squelched scientific research for centuries. For example, when Galileo attempted to defend the heliocentrism of Copernicus by attempting to show the Pope the proof with his new telescopes, the Pope instead had Galileo taken to the torture chamber to be shown the room full of implements of torture. Galileo prudently recanted his claim that the sun was at the center of things, and then spent the rest of his life under house arrest at his villa. The so called "Dark Ages," when the light of knowledge was largely extinguished, was the result of the church suppression of scientific investigation, and any knowledge the church did not deem relevant to Christian belief. Only as the influence of the church waned has science prospered. That took the greater part of 2,000 years.
Christianity did not squelch science, Christians ignorant of science tried to.

Quote:
The greatest leap forward in the process of human rights is arguably the US Constitution, which specifically prohibited an offical state religion.
Any knowledgeable e Christian knows that is our best protection to keep our religion the way we want it.

Quote:
If you actually knew anything about science you would know that it is virtually impossible to teach the modern biological sciences without a thorough knowledge of natural selection and evolution. Try taking a course in genetics and see how far you get.
If you think natural selection can be proved, I know more about science than you do. If you don't knowk genetics don't actually refute evolution, I know more science than you do.

Spoken like a true believer in make believe.[/quote]

Old 08-01-2017, 12:14 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
[/i]

IMO it all boils down to which one, matter or God is eternal. IMO it is is more logical to accept the God is eternal. Neither can be proved, neither can be disproved.

No formula, no matter how accurate, can explain the origin of energy. You also don't know what the first cause was.

Christianity did not squelch science, Christians ignorant of science tried to.

Any knowledgeable e Christian knows that is our best protection to keep our religion the way we want it.

If you think natural selection can be proved, I know more about science than you do. If you don't knowk genetics don't actually refute evolution, I know more science than you do.

Spoken like a true believer in make believe.
More childish responses, slightly more sophomoric than "I-know-you-are-but-what-am-I?

Old 08-01-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
You were sitting at a working computer when you wrote those words. THAT is scientific evidence. All of modern WORKING technology is evidence that the science that allows for it to work is valid. Science is not a theology.
That is one reason I NEVER bring the Bible into a discussion of evolution.

Quote:
But that fact that the working technology it produces actually WORKS, does allow for a bit of faith, I suppose. What does Christianity have to offer? A 2,000 year old empty claim!

Until science has a creditable explanation for matter, energy and life. it take moore than a bit of faith.

Quote:
And you have it backwards. Randomness evolved out of perfect order. The big bang represented perfect order. The universe has been becoming more and more random ever since. Random change allows for things like life to occur.

That the universe has moved from randomness to order is not my idea. That is what science says. Of course there is no evidence it started as random. Since God did it, it was never random

What you consider evidence for the BB is bogus and proves nothing. What is moving may be moving toward the outer edge Unless we can see the outer edge, we can't say it is expanding. It seems many evos never seriously think about many of the things they are told. To accept without question in science or religion is dangerous and leads to some false beliefs.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:23 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,319,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
the six thousand years is the age of the human not the age of earth.
Adam and Eve were the first human on earth and from them we were born
and they were created by Allah .

if there is any thing was found in the earth that has age too much more than six thousand years and looks like
a human it would not be for a human but for a creature similar to a human and they were all finished.
" O mankind! Be dutiful to your Lord,
Who created you from a single person (Adam),
and from him (Adam) He created his wife [Hawwa (Eve)],
and from them both He created many men and women;
and fear Allah through Whom you demand (your mutual rights),
and (do not cut the relations of) the wombs (kinship) .
Surely, Allah is Ever an All-Watcher over you." The Final Holy Book.
How do you explain the same people's occupying an area from say 10000 years ago to 5000? That they were first non humans and then replaced by humans who produced the same artifacts and had the same bone structure? And you know that the 6 thousand year old earth is from a calculation made by an Irish bishop long before much of our knowledge came to being? YEC have made one man's calculation into religious doctrine.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:26 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
while with all the technology in the current world, you can't make another Giza pyramid.
The Giza pyramid was an incredibly expensive project with no real expected return on investment. Other than prestige for the pharaoh. If building another Giza pyramid had a lucrative potential return, you can bet another Giza pyramid would be built. Maybe not using the same techniques.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
People are NOT "sinners". That's a Biblical label. People do right and wrong. Right helps people and wrong hurts people. Sometimes it works just the opposite, which is where the expression, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" came from. Right and wrong are social constructions; they have nothing to do with religion. But religions took this social construction labeled "objective morality" and applied it to people for their own devious purposes i.e. "Ohh, you're a sinner. You need Jesus."
If their is a God, and there is, you don't get the determine what is sin and what is just wrong.

How can I be a sinner according to you definition? You better learn what the Bible says, before you quote it.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:30 PM

11,020 posts, read 5,975,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
If their is a God, and there is, you don't get the determine what is sin and what is just wrong.

How can I be a sinner according to you definition? You better learn what the Bible says, before you quote it.
Yes we do.

What is the bible definition of a sinner?

Old 08-01-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
"I can't validate what I believe. Spiritual truth are not provable. You can't validate what you believe."

You keep saying this, even though it is demonstratively FALSE. If it can be said that I believe anything, it is that the universe works within a set of principles that can be understood and utilized for our own purposes. Working technology is hard evidence that the science behind the working technology is valid. Make it up and declare it to be true "spiritual truth" is simply make believe. You subscribe to the ancient superstitious make believe of ancient superstitious people who had no other way of understanding their existence than to make "stuff" up and declare it to be true. But we are in the 21st century now. We have actual knowledge concerning the way the universe operates. We don't have to make "stuff" up anymore. And it is time to let the old made up "stuff" go.

What can' be proved is the origin of God or the origin of matter and what was first life. Of course scientific theories can be proved or disproved. While science know some of how the universe operates, it know nothing abut how it came into being.

What also can't be proved is that Christianity is a superstitution.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
More childish responses, slightly more sophomoric than "I-know-you-are-but-what-am-I?
If you think formulas prove origins you are still in day care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality