Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 11:17 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I was warned not to use barbaric or savage or ignorant if they could be seen to apply to current believers even if the original reference was to ancients about whom it was most definitely true.
Ah... so it's not just a coincidence that I haven't seen those references lately. Apparently I wasn't the only one who was bothered by them.

Quote:
I do still feel free to express my opinions accurately concerning ANY concepts about God.
You most certainly should feel free to do so. You should understand, though, that some of us find the insults to be more than a little bit unbecoming of someone who claims that all that really matters is agape love. Walking the walk is definitely easier than talking the talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 11:42 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
I was not pinpointing your beliefs, Katz, because there are so many that believe in a Divine control exercised by human beings that I consider to be preposterous. I was warned not to use barbaric or savage or ignorant if they could be seen to apply to current believers even if the original reference was to ancients about whom it was most definitely true. I do still feel free to express my opinions accurately concerning ANY concepts about God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Ah... so it's not just a coincidence that I haven't seen those references lately. Apparently I wasn't the only one who was bothered by them.
You most certainly should feel free to do so. You should understand, though, that some of us find the insults to be more than a little bit unbecoming of someone who claims that all that really matters is agape love. Walking the walk is definitely easier than talking the talk.
What you seem to miss, Katz, is that they are NOT insults. Insults are personally directed at people, NOT ideas. Those who take offense and feel insulted when their ideas are described in negative terms are the ones at fault. The marketplace of ideas can NOT be constrained by the preferences or perceptions of the proponents of ANY specific idea. That is what is wrong with America today. The intolerance of opposing ideas is anathema to our free speech traditions and contradicts the purpose of the exchange of ideas.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:47 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
What you seem to miss, Katz, is that they are NOT insults. Insults are personally directed at people, NOT ideas. Those who take offense and feel insulted when their ideas are described in negative terms are the ones at fault. The marketplace of ideas can NOT be constrained by the preferences or perceptions of the proponents of ANY specific idea. That is what is wrong with America today. The intolerance of opposing ideas is anathema to our free speech traditions and contradicts the purpose of the exchanges of ideas.
Whatever you say, Mystic. Mea culpa. I'm sure I must be "the one at fault," but as my dad used to tell me, it takes real talent to be able to disagree without being disagreeable.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:53 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Whatever you say, Mystic. Mea culpa. I'm sure I must be "the one at fault," but as my dad used to tell me, it takes real talent to be able to disagree without being disagreeable.
I am quite willing to own up to that rebuke, Katz. Clearly, my communications skills, honed over decades as a Professor, equally seem to be inadequate for this forum. Audience composition clearly matters.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:08 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
What you seem to miss, Katz, is that they are not insults. Insults are personally directed at people, NOT ideas. Those who take offense and feel insulted when their ideas are described in negative terms are the ones at fault. The marketplace of ideas can NOT be constrained by the preferences or perceptions of the proponents of ANY specific idea. That is what is wrong with America today. The intolerance of opposing ideas is anathema to our free speech traditions and contradicts the purpose of the exchange of ideas.
They are insults.
And what tou are unwilling to do out of pride and superiority is to take responsibility for your behavior and how you treat others.

There is a real darkness to your posts Mystic. You boast about your credentials but stoop to the most crude demeaning insults including potty talk. Is that where your infallible guide of holiness leads you, to potty talk?

You routinely criticize religious organizations calling yourself anti authoritarian and one aspect of that is very much your refusal of having any sort of rules or accountability. That is one thing organized religion attempts to do: have leaders who model outstanding character traits; and have guidelines or rules that people are asked to adhere to.

My observation is you routinely and wholeheartedly abhor and reject both.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-23-2017 at 01:17 AM..

Old 07-23-2017, 07:16 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,043,563 times
Quote:
Audience composition clearly matters.

It certainly does, because we're not all idiots as you seem to assume, nor our ancestors who WERE blatantly demeaned by you constantly. Peace

Old 07-23-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
They are insults.
And what tou are unwilling to do out of pride and superiority is to take responsibility for your behavior and how you treat others.

There is a real darkness to your posts Mystic. You boast about your credentials but stoop to the most crude demeaning insults including potty talk. Is that where your infallible guide of holiness leads you, to potty talk?

You routinely criticize religious organizations calling yourself anti authoritarian and one aspect of that is very much your refusal of having any sort of rules or accountability. That is one thing organized religion attempts to do: have leaders who model outstanding character traits; and have guidelines or rules that people are asked to adhere to.

My observation is you routinely and wholeheartedly abhor and reject both.

Yes, they are insults to a particular sect, and you're not the only one that pointed this out, several times.
Peace

Old 07-23-2017, 07:35 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Telling the truth bluntly is quite often counter-productive. People are naturally defensive rather than analytical. I lose sight of this also.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Telling the truth bluntly is quite often counter-productive. People are naturally defensive rather than analytical. I lose sight of this also.

Self-determining what is truth is even more counter-productive; to you. Peace

Old 07-23-2017, 08:58 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The truth that is evident is a blatant ugly loathing and disregard for G*d's handiwork. His insults are against G*d and he is held 100% accountable for them.

To hide behind blaming others and calling it "truth" is a sham and utterly transparent to all on this board. There is nothing holy about it at all. Just ugly bitter darkness on display for all to see. How G*d must be weeping that His efforts and attempts to instill respect and kindness are wasted and discarded.

Regarding the topic of this thread, another element of organized religion is a focus on self improvement. Those who are anti religion often have an utter aversion to self improvement whether that is counseling therapy 12 step work or the guidelines and rules that a religion puts forth for its members.

The leadership and structure of religion recognizes that there are many things that distance us from G*d and the rules and guidelines are put in place to minimize and reduce that which comes between a person and G*d.

For a person to say they don't need rules is often from a place of unwillingness to be held accountable for self improvement.

Most important though and most prevalent seen on these boards is an unwillingness to take on the yoke of God. When a person is anti religion very often they are not only saying no one is going to tell me what to do, but they also include G*d in rhat as well, they are not going to do what G*d asks of them either.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-23-2017 at 09:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality