Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 01:21 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post

This is the second video of this guy that I've posted today. I'm not plugging him, it just seems to fit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-mju_gW3c8
Outstanding find!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Hilarious!
And don't we all know someone just like him....
Understatement of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 02:02 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
A lovely post. Enjoyed it. I am a very poor judge of character, but in your case I wasn't judging character but being disarmingly polite while I apologeticaly severed your jugular.

I do indeed, have a "sense whatsoever of anything that cannot be drilled down to reason? Any feelings of coincidence, of intuition, of sixth sense, of connection to other beings, human or otherwise, that you are unsure is not based on some chemical recipe, even though it may not yet have been identified and defined" but reason trumps them all, because we are very prone to misinterpret and misunderstand all thiose things, what causes them, what they are and what they signify. Reason (and I mean logical sound reasoning, not "common sense" which is common but not always sense by any means) exists and is designed to correct or at least not be misled by those things.

Bottom line, I am aware of those things and even think them significant, but I do not jump to conclusions about them. Theism I regret to say also does not jump to conclusions about them; it brings the conclusions along and jams the bloody feelings of coincidence, of intuition, of sixth sense, of connection to other beings, human or otherwise, into them any way they can.
Thank you. That makes sense, and I'm glad to know you aren't devoid of those things. You may have missed this before, but I've stated several times on these forums that I see atheism as the logical default position, which is why I will never claim to be able to prove to anyone that what I call God actually exists outside my own head. I'm satisfied that there are enough others who seem to understand it for company.

Alas, my jugular remains intact. Just as well. The cleanup after a severing is SO messy and ruins the towels.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-24-2017 at 02:11 PM..

Old 07-24-2017, 03:01 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Quote:

This is the second video of this guy that I've posted today. I'm not plugging him, it just seems to fit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-mju_gW3c8
Quote:
Hilarious!

And don't we all know someone just like him....
Excuse me, but I can't help but wonder... Given the context in which this video and the comments about it were posted, was this directed at me?

Old 07-24-2017, 03:10 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Excuse me, but I can't help but wonder... Given the context in which this video and the comments about it were posted, was this directed at me?
No. You don't follow another poster around using every conceivable opportunity to harangue them.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:11 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
::Sigh:: This is a discussion forum for ideas, NOT a chat room for personal attacks. Those of you who insist on taking offense at opinions of ideas that you do not like are responsible for your reactions. You are responsible for what you believe and accept. Personally attacking those who express those opinions you find offensive IS a problem, NOT the opposing opinions.

The ideas are not the problem.
How you talk to others is the problem.

Clearly it does not matter to you how you treat others.

In spite of your supposedly infallible inner guide to holiness and claiming to be a spokesperson for God, which is utterly bogus.

You don't walk the talk.
That is what makes your claim to any kind of holy insights utterly bogus.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:12 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Regarding the topic of this thread, another element of organized religion is a focus on self improvement. Those who are anti religion often have an utter aversion to self improvement whether that is counseling therapy 12 step work or the guidelines and rules that a religion puts forth for its members.

The leadership and structure of religion recognizes that there are many things that distance us from G*d and the rules and guidelines are put in place to minimize and reduce that which comes between a person and G*d.

For a person to say they don't need rules is often from a place of unwillingness to be held accountable for self improvement.

Most important though and most prevalent seen on these boards is an unwillingness to take on the yoke of God. When a person is anti religion very often they are not only saying no one is going to tell me what to do, but they also include G*d in that as well, they are not going to do what G*d asks of them either.
Good points. I do believe that organized religion can become too controlling, but I don't believe it is inherently so.

As Rudyard Kipling once noted: “The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.” I've got to say, that this has pretty much become my manta.

Some members of organized do hear the call of conscience more loudly than we hear all admonitions from the pulpit. In other words, we're not prisoners of our institutions. We are not, however, ready to toss out the baby with the bath water. There is much good in organized religion. You just have to be vigilant in recognizing that even though someone in a leadership position may be called of God, in the end, he's still just a fallible human being, not to be worshiped nor followed blindly.

Last edited by Katzpur; 07-24-2017 at 03:24 PM..

Old 07-24-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
No. You don't follow another poster around using every conceivable opportunity to harangue them.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
The ideas are not the problem.
How you talk to others is the problem.
Clearly it does not matter to you how you treat others.
In spite of your supposedly infallible inner guide to holiness and claiming to be a spokesperson for God, which is utterly bogus.
You don't walk the talk.
That is what makes your claim to any kind of holy insights utterly bogus.
The ideas are the only legitimate topics here, NOT ME or my holy insights or walk. You seem to have difficulty with that concept. But I love you anyway because that is my mission and commitment to God.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:23 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,043,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The ideas are the only legitimate topics here, NOT ME or my holy insights or walk. You seem to have difficulty with that concept. But I love you anyway because that is my mission and commitment to God.

Funny how easily you say that when YOU'RE the focus. Peace

Old 07-25-2017, 05:15 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thank you. That makes sense, and I'm glad to know you aren't devoid of those things. You may have missed this before, but I've stated several times on these forums that I see atheism as the logical default position, which is why I will never claim to be able to prove to anyone that what I call God actually exists outside my own head. I'm satisfied that there are enough others who seem to understand it for company.

Alas, my jugular remains intact. Just as well. The cleanup after a severing is SO messy and ruins the towels.
Thank you for the acceptance of the default position of not believing a claim that has not been validated which, when the claim is a god -claim, = atheism.

I on my part totally accept a huge number of unknowns, unexplaineds and possibles. I an interested in them and also accept the use of effects in the brain and body (meditation/prayer effects, obviously) even when we don't know what they actually are. I am even cool with the various icons or symbols through which these effects are accessed.

The one thing I don't do is invest Faith in any of those things. And maybe you don't either.

And I'm glad I missed the jugular, now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality